The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:51:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEAR-Fest Reports & Photos  (Read 19999 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 09:19:42 AM »

It was good to finally meet you Tom, along with Nigel who trekked in from Ontario. And of course, always great to see Joe & Martha who drove up from PA and the rest of the AM crew. Even saw Dave/WB1EAD wander through the AM Corral at one point. Wayne/WA1SSJ was also amongst the group of sellers.

Todd drive up from VA, and Joe tries to pour coffee on a Central Electronics rig!

Actually Dan, Johnny did the bulk of the driving to and from. I had only to drive the hour & 20 min to his place up in MD and back. We made excellent time both ways, only running into traffic Thursday afternoon on 495 north of Beantown and on 93 to Nashua. Beyond that, it was clear sailing. We got to JN's place around 21:45 Saturday night and I was back in northern VA at 23:36. Sunday morning I was wandering around the Smithsonian. Talk about a mind shift!

BTW - anyone who has photos can post them to the NEAR-Fest XXII album for all to see:

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?action=gallery&cat=21

I have a few more to post but haven't gotten to them just yet. Will post some shots of the Mystery Transmitter now that it's unwrapped, as well.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 08:47:42 AM »

would be nice if higher res pix were posted up... most seem to be 640 wide... a bit old school sized, imo.

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2017, 12:37:12 PM »

Very few pix have detail I need to see better. Most, it's just nice to see already known rigs in this fest with decent call up speed on an iPad or older computer.

I wouldn't make these much larger than twice height and width, four times area, if you want to make them relatively speedy on most computers, or in deference to slower  net users on this site.  Perhaps dual sites for low and high res. pics would be possible.
Yes It is fun to read labels, sale prices, and rig details on hi-res pics.

Mucho Tnx to Todd fer posting them.

RICK  *W3RSW*
WBear2GCR

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2017, 06:24:31 PM »

Serious?

Slower web users in 2017? Who? Where?
In a time when everyone seemingly has a smart phone that doubles as a "wifi" and computers
with minimum screen resolution IF they are OLD of 1028, and most machines built in the past 7+ years
sporting 1480 width, 640 width is going back to ~1990s resolution. 640 is about 1/4 the information of
a 1080 screen, but actually a 1280 screen. That is a lot less resolution than is usual today.

Most cameras and smartphones are sporting 12MP CMOS sensors or higher now, which is about a 4k resolution,
which is approximately the limit of 35mm film, fyi.

Do you still watch a CRT TV at home?
Go back and see what that looks like compared to even a 480i image on a typical LCD flat screen TV.
You won't watch it for long.
Or maybe you will.
I won't.

I'd like to be able to read the price tags too, fwiw. And not see a blur.

yes, thanks for taking and posting Todd...

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2017, 01:15:13 PM »

Anyone can post their NF photos to that album, too. Did I already mention that?  Smiley

As to size/resolution - due to restrictions on a couple of automotive forums I use, my program is set for smaller shots. And with 50+ photos, having originals around 1 Meg or so adds up to a fair amount of space fast. I can send single photos via email for those who need more detail on a specific item if it's needed. I should add, though - clarity from my cell phone is not that great compared to the Nikon I use at home.

Kodak used to sell a film called EKTAR in ASA 25 that was super sharp. IIRC, you could enlarge it up to 72 times and not lose any resolution. That was something like taking a face in a crowd and enlarging it to poster size. Unfortunately it had issues with color shifts and they discontinued it. Had a lot of fun with it in the late 80s/early 90s when it was around, though.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2017, 01:54:22 PM »

Anyone can post their NF photos to that album, too. Did I already mention that?  Smiley

As to size/resolution - due to restrictions on a couple of automotive forums I use, my program is set for smaller shots. And with 50+ photos, having originals around 1 Meg or so adds up to a fair amount of space fast. I can send single photos via email for those who need more detail on a specific item if it's needed. I should add, though - clarity from my cell phone is not that great compared to the Nikon I use at home.

Kodak used to sell a film called EKTAR in ASA 25 that was super sharp. IIRC, you could enlarge it up to 72 times and not lose any resolution. That was something like taking a face in a crowd and enlarging it to poster size. Unfortunately it had issues with color shifts and they discontinued it. Had a lot of fun with it in the late 80s/early 90s when it was around, though.

All the more reason to attend the event!

Joe-GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2017, 02:36:43 PM »

Pan x in 2 120mm.......  nice stuff, print on paper with a negative, piece of glass and a lamp....... The proof was in the pudding.

klc

What? Me worry?
WBear2GCR

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2017, 02:37:02 PM »

Curious... what was the ticketed price  on those two HRO-500s??
Did they sell?
Who had them?

WBear2GCR

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2017, 02:38:33 PM »

Pan x in 2 120mm.......  nice stuff, print on paper with a negative, piece of glass and a lamp....... The proof was in the pudding.

klc

Panatomic X
What a fabulous name...

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2017, 04:14:59 PM »

Or Tri-X for the faster B&W. I've still got a test roll of color 3200 ASA by Konica I was given to shoot years ago by the rep. Astronomy stuff. Never got around to it. Not sure if it ever made it to market.

The HRO-500s were JN's and they sold. $550 for the pair, sorta working as I recall. (Large) photo attached.

* HRO 500s.JPG (618.11 KB, 2500x1406 - viewed 460 times.)

WBear2GCR

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2017, 06:37:30 PM »

Oh well...  Cry

Think I'd have gone for a pair at that price... just to say I had owned one... love those nixies!

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2017, 04:11:24 PM »

Neither one was in great physical shape.  Projects I lost interest in and took a fair loss, just glad to be rid of 'em!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2017, 08:47:49 PM »

Neither one was in great physical shape.  Projects I lost interest in and took a fair loss, just glad to be rid of 'em!

Ahhh, the classic hybrids. I always liked the look of that line. The National HRO-500 RX and NCX-5 transceiver came out at about the same time and had an excellent ad campaign. They were placed on a pedestal in most ham's eyes, though in reality they were probably in the class of Galaxy V transceiver construction by Leo and WRL.

I remember the 1967 era "heartbeat" ad of the NCX-5 showing its VFO drift.  They sure were purty though. Some manufacturers really knew how to do cosmetics and some did not. Collins and Johnson knew how to get a ham's heart beating.  

I will always remember the silky VFO feel of a Swan transceiver while the insides were marginal.   Drake had a good MOJO going too.  I remember telling Denny Hadd at Dentron they gotta do something about their cheap knobs, but nothing changed. Their HF-500? transceiver looked like Radio Shack knobs and failed. Compare that to Collins knobs.

The ultimate cosmetics magician gurus had to be the Japanese when they introduced the FT-102 and FT-1000D. They had the look of sophisticated military hardware, but were made of plasdick. Quite a feat.

* The VFO knob look and its tuning feel are 90% of the sales sizzle. Watch any ham who approaches a used rig. He will always grab the VFO knob and give it a spin first... Grin  The HRO-500 VFO knob gets high marks.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2017, 10:44:39 PM »

I was 3000 miles away, so this was the best resolution photo I could get of the hamfest. 

Drake, Johnson and Elmac equipment still tease me on eBay.  As a teen I remember salivating over the FT-1000 but it was way too expensive.  They're affordable now, but too old for solid state equipment.  None of today's radios have that same sex appeal except for the really expensive ones, but then that's just being a show-off if you buy one.

Jon 

* NearFest - real photo.JPG (1544.9 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 581 times.)

It’s not just values, it’s business.
WBear2GCR

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2017, 09:15:23 PM »

perfect!

next time use a fatter pen, in black, like a marker?
but the resolution was great!
I could see the price tag on that rig!!! :p

W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2017, 03:47:01 PM »

I am glad that everyone had a great time.  The weather was certainly as good as it gets both days and it made up for the piss-poor weather we had in May. Staff was busy running around because we were short two of our people.

The contracts for both the 2018 events are signed and the deposit checks are in the mail. Dates are as follows:

NEAR-Fest XXIII May 4th and 5th 2018
NEAR-Fest XXIV October 12th and 13th 2018

We look forward to seeing everybody bright and early Friday morning.

Mister Mike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2017, 06:10:28 PM »

TNX Mr. Mike, for your hard work and putting on by far the FBest of hamfests!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2017, 07:04:20 AM »

Thank you and Todd for making the trek from MD/VA.  Next time bring the HUZman.  It has been a long time since we have seen him.  I understand he has been busy keeping “the weasels” under control.

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015