The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:10:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ANYONE USING THE BC 669D  (Read 7864 times)
Matthew
« on: March 21, 2005, 09:00:07 PM »

HEY TO ALL; I JUST BROUGHT HOME A BC669D. THE RX IS WORKING FINE, BUT THE POWER TRANNY IS BAD FOR TX, I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE WAS USING THIS RIG? AND MAYBE LEAD ME TOWARD A TRANSFORMER. MATTHEW KR4WI
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 07:05:33 AM »

I had one of those and it scared me to death what with that JS plate tank coil... never put it on the air.  Still, a very cool rig, and one of the few WWII era rigs with the xmitter/receiver in one unit.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 08:13:43 AM »

Hi Matthew,
  I have one of those. Just used it on 160 Sunday.
  Sounds like you might have the "real" power supply for it. I had to build my own. I scrounged for quite a while to find a HV transformer for the HB supply. However, you may come up with the right one. I see you have the need posted here. You might also try on the Millitary Collectors reflector. Through that list I found the rear cover and handset/control unit.
  JN is right, the big coils do look dangerous to play with. Just remember to power down and short the coils to ground before making changes. Better safe than sorry with the Old Girl.

Bill KA8WTK
Matthew
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 08:33:15 AM »

TNX JOHN AND BILL: YEA, BILL ITS ALL ORIGINAL AND ALL TOGETHER, A FRIEND GAVE IT TO ME, HE HAD ALREADY DONE ALL THE FUN WORK OF CLEANING IT UP BUT I GET TO PAINT IT. WONDERING WHAT THE OUTPUT IS ON IT AND WHAT SIZE PWR TRANSFORMER YOUR USING? BILL WITH UR BIG BEAST IT SURE IS HEAVY? MATTHEW KR4WI
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 08:27:33 PM »

Matthew,

I am using a 450-0-450, 400 ma. transformer. The supply is capacitor input with a choke and cap output. Delivers about 490 volts at 180 mill to the plates. Never really checked the output.

The stock transformer delivers 545 volts AC, no center tap, at 455 mill. It will deliver 490 volts DC through the C-L-C filter and the vaccum tube rectifiers. My supply is solid state.

You are correct sir, it is a heavy beast for not having the supply built in. The only change I have made in this one is to disconnect the "sidetone". Don't give up on finding the correct transformer untill you check out the Mil Reflector. I discovered that I actually had the correct filament transformer in some xformers I bought at a flea market a while back. Didn't know what it was for at the time. So, the HV transformer is probably out there somewhere as well.

I have schematics if you need them.

Bill KA8WTK
Matthew
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 08:47:11 PM »

Tnx Bill for the info, I will keep a look out for the transformer, sure would be nice if some company could fix the orginal ones .hi I guess thier not much of a market for that sort of work. anyway tnx for the numbers on the transformer. Matthew KR4WI
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 06:58:43 AM »

This xformer looks like just the ticket... only 400 volts but if you use a solid state rectumfrier it should work OK:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5762158273&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Matthew
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 10:13:35 PM »

Thanks John, that looks like the one i need. I feel lucky. This was faster than I expected. Matthew KR4WI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015