The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:31:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking foward to NEAR-Fest!  (Read 9218 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: October 04, 2017, 10:33:35 AM »

Who is planning on making Fall NEAR-Fest?   A stellar fester and people have fun fun fun! 

Don't forget the AM dinner Friday evening.   

Joe-W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
wa2pjp

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 10:49:15 AM »

I'll be there.......Got my room booked and tickets for the fest. Always look forward to the AM dinner at Johnsons and a real good time seeing everyone.

Joe  WA2PJP
VE3ELQ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 11:06:43 AM »

Thinking about attending this one, always wanted to. I see on their web site they are offering free admission to us Canadians in celebration of our 150th birthday, nice touch eh.  Be fun to meet up with some of the AM crowd I QSO with.  Problem is no major east west highway from here, have to go up top around lake Champlain then down south east about 8 hrs drive. Sad

73s  Nigel

A "Tube Free" zone.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 12:27:36 PM »

No ferry? I thought that they usta have one.

KLC

What? Me worry?
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 01:16:12 PM »

Thinking about attending this one, always wanted to. I see on their web site they are offering free admission to us Canadians in celebration of our 150th birthday, nice touch eh.  Be fun to meet up with some of the AM crowd I QSO with.  Problem is no major east west highway from here, have to go up top around lake Champlain then down south east about 8 hrs drive. Sad

73s  Nigel

Nigel,

I sure hope you can make  it.  NEAR-Fest is an experience like no other event.  Basically it just a few thousand people coming together and having a good time.  I have been to Dayton some 20 times and now I never go to Dayton-now Zenia, but never miss NEAR-Fest.  If your into boat anchors its the place to go.  Saying that, we have 3 indoor pavilions loaded with commercial vendors.  The on-site food is some of the best you will find.  For campers, the site has provision for those that want to camp. 

Sure hope you can make it and become a regular attendee at the event. 

Steve-Wa1QIX is also a regular at the event and I know you have had many conversations with Steve but maybe have never met him.   

Joe-W3GMS

wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 02:37:25 PM »

Hi Joe et all..was wondering when someone wud post the Deerfield event..glad you did..I will be there as I might of missed maybe one of the two sessions a year mostly due to inclement weather..will be down in the "lower" inside selling lot behind the test bldg letting the odds and ends go at ridiculous prices as usual..even finally gonna thin out the tube collection too..looking forward to seeing everyone there..I have no idea of how the weather will be as up here they got all they can do to forecast the day we're on..only long range forecast I've seen calls for showers on Wednesday but that's as far as they can predict/guess..Joe Jerry Pete Al Todd hope to c ya!
73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 02:52:58 PM »

Hi Joe et all..was wondering when someone wud post the Deerfield event..glad you did..I will be there as I might of missed maybe one of the two sessions a year mostly due to inclement weather..will be down in the "lower" inside selling lot behind the test bldg letting the odds and ends go at ridiculous prices as usual..even finally gonna thin out the tube collection too..looking forward to seeing everyone there..I have no idea of how the weather will be as up here they got all they can do to forecast the day we're on..only long range forecast I've seen calls for showers on Wednesday but that's as far as they can predict/guess..Joe Jerry Pete Al Todd hope to c ya!
73 de DAVE

Great Dave that your going to make it!  Even with the damp weather in the Spring we still had a great time and it was very well attended even with the less than ideal weather.  The WX will be what the WX will be and everyone will still be smiling!  

Looks like I will be bring a 32V2 and some other stuff to sell.  

http://www.near-fest.com/

Joe-GMS

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 03:07:44 PM »

The weather looks stellar for the Fester! 

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/03037:4:US

Joe-GMS

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 03:46:17 PM »

That's good news, though in New England it means little.  Wink

Most folks who attend NEAR-Fest go for the experience, social as much as anything. If you're going to the beach, you worry about the weather. If you're going to NEAR-Fest, you worry about a scheduling conflict or other problem that could keep you from attending. That's about it.

There's a bridge across Champlain at Rouses Point but that's nearly at the border. Think there's another near Crown Point NY which is much better.

Several ferry crossings: Ticonderoga NY, Essex NY, Port Kent, NY and Cumberland Head NY which will save you a lot of time. Port Kent is maybe an hour to cross.

So you should be able to get across without hours of excess driving, Nigel. Best bet: take the Port Kent ferry across to Burlington and hop onto I-89. Take 89 south to Concord, NH. Deerfield is maybe half an hour or so east of there. We have a strong contingent from north of the border, especially Quebec and the Maritimes. And MrMike, the Benevolent Dictator of NEAR-Fest is originally from Montreal. Hope we see you there.

Will be heading up Thursday with 'JN. Looking forward to seeing the crew again and (of course) the AM Dinner Friday evening. Bringing along a few things that need new homes including a WWII RAK-8 w/PS just in time for the new low band allocation. Will be set up in our usual spot at the intersection of the AM Corral across from the grandstands where many-a-piece of SSB gear met its demise over the decades.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
VE3ELQ
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 06:53:35 PM »

There's a bridge across Champlain at Rouses Point but that's nearly at the border. Think there's another near Crown Point NY which is much better.

Several ferry crossings: Ticonderoga NY, Essex NY, Port Kent, NY and Cumberland Head NY which will save you a lot of time. Port Kent is maybe an hour to cross.  

Thanks Todd. Took a look at that route but NE NY is wilderness with only windy secondary highways, low speed limits and small towns, just cant get up a head of steam (without getting arrested) to get to the ferry to Burlington.  I think best is 401 on our side to Cornwall/Massena border then about 2 hrs along route 11 over the top and from there clear cruising down 89 to Concord.  XYL says "GO PLEASE" so OK on that front.  Will check tonight on 160M with my SSB friend K2AQ who lives near there, perhaps he is going and could look after me.  Wink

73s  Nigel

A "Tube Free" zone.
VE3ELQ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 07:04:13 PM »

I sure hope you can make  it.  NEAR-Fest is an experience like no other event. 
Well Joe et all got my room booked in Manchester so will be there for both days.  Looking FW to the experience.  Would love to meet up with some of you if there is a rally point and time, suggestions welcome.   Plan to attend the diner also but not sure where and when.

73s  Nigel

A "Tube Free" zone.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 09:47:03 AM »

Glad you can make it, Nigel.

The AM Corral is located in the right rear corner of the fairgrounds from the front gate. You'll have no problem finding the crew up there. Or look for red NEAR-Fest Staff baseball caps. Several of us are on the crew. Or, when you find the military guys (most or all of whom are AMers) we'll be located behind their location and to the right.

The AM Dinner takes place Friday evening starting 6:30-7PM at a place called Johnson's Steak & Seafood Dairy Bar on Rte 4 a few miles away. There will be a post in the Announcements section by Monday with map and other info, though it's easy enough to follow or ride with someone from the event if you want.

Looking forward to meeting you.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 06:43:21 PM »

I sure hope you can make  it.  NEAR-Fest is an experience like no other event. 
Well Joe et all got my room booked in Manchester so will be there for both days.  Looking FW to the experience.  Would love to meet up with some of you if there is a rally point and time, suggestions welcome.   Plan to attend the diner also but not sure where and when.

73s  Nigel

It will be great to meet you Nigel!  Really enjoyed our on the air QSO a short time ago.  Make sure you look me up.  As Todd said, the staff wears red caps, so we should be visible.   
The AM dinner is lots of fun and its a good place to meet the crew that makes it. 
If you have an email address on QRZ.com, I can send you my cell phone number, otherwise send me yours to my email posted on QRZ.com. 
Joe-W3GMS   

w1vtp

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 07:18:39 PM »

Looking forward to meeting you Nigel along with all my other AM buddies

Al
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 02:39:53 PM »

I just talked to Dave Benson-K1SWL who was the founder of Small Wonder Labs for many years before retiring.  Some of you will probably remember the Retro 75 AM transceiver which was one of his products.  He is planning on making NEAR-Fest on Friday morning.

Joe-w3GMS   

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 03:11:20 PM »

WX looks good, bring a ton of stuff, been attending since at least early 80's and it is always a blast. Sometimes a very wet blast, but a blast.
Carl
KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 08:41:52 PM »

I built one of those Retro-75's!  I never did put it on the air though.  At the time, we were attending a Russian church and they needed a cheap solution so that they could do language translations for their services.  I put a 1 MHz crystal in it and installed a compromise antenna in the rafters.  Americans attending services could then put on an AM broadcast band headphones/receiver.  They used it for a few years until they bought a decent FM transmitter. 

Anyway, I really miss Nearfest.  I attended the last "Dearfield" hamfest too.  I was 15 years old and had gone with my elmers.  They were a little too drunk to drive back, so I did and I had just gotten my driver's license.  Good times.

Jon

It’s not just values, it’s business.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 11:10:45 AM »

The AM Dinner info is now posted in the Announcements section with time, location, menu, and map info. We'll meet up as usual around the AM Corral area before heading over.

Hope to see many of you there. The more, the merrier.

wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 12:07:41 PM »

Hey gang..it's Saturday noon here and the only reason I'm not at Deerfield is my older brother and family are due at 1:00pm from Florida to go leaf peeping..however I WAS there ystdy..I'll have to get used to the "new" entrance..bit more further than b/4..arrived at 9:35 only to find a fairly long line to go in..usually there's not many cars at that time..must be the new entrance??..lots of folks setting up at that hour and for the most part it was well attended..was in a selling mode..went time wise a bit longer than I wanted..tried to spot and say hi to the regulars..only saw and said hi to Todd..had only a half hour to roam so if I missed ya..c ya next time..all in all it was well worth the trip!!    73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 12:18:50 PM »

Well, next year, let them look at this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=autumn+in+new+england&tbm=isch&source=iu&pf=m&ictx=1&fir=stIt4cF2OQNmRM%253A%252CmrJG1M4-g4uQ0M%252C_&usg=__6a7Jzrl_zM483hHr9KyVXmgmU9c%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZi-LnwfDWAhWD34MKHUpWDqMQ9QEIQTAE#imgrc=_&spf=1507997864696

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015