The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:21:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VIKING2 BLEEDER RESISTOR  (Read 7555 times)
ve6pg

« on: March 21, 2005, 11:40:51 AM »

HI AGAIN FROM TIM...IN MY VIKING2 MANUAL IT DESCRIBES THE MODULATOR,AND HOW THE PLATE SWITCH AND AM-CW SWITCH ARE ELECTRICALLY JOINED,AND HOW THE BLEEDER RESISTOR ALLOWS FOR THE RIG TO ALLOW THE OSCILLATOR FROM INTERFERING TO THE RECEIVER,WHEN THE TX AND RCVR ARE ON THE SAME FREQ...WHICH IS THE BLEEDER RESISTOR THEY SPEAK OF?..IS IT THE LARGE SLIDER,R13,OR THE POT R30?...OR ANOTHER ONE?..IF YOU KNOW,PLEASE PASS THE INFO ALONG...THANKS,,,TIM...SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 01:02:51 PM »

Tim, while I don't have a skizmatic handy generally bleeder resistors go between the B+ output of the power supply to ground.  Their purpose is to provide a load on the power supply, thereby improving PS regulation as well as to provide a discharge path to ground for the filter caps - hence the term "bleeder".

I've noted your saga but haven't jumped in as I'm not all that familiar with the Viker II (although I had one some years ago).  I suggest that you take some voltage readings and compare them with the manual.  This approach is much more likely to end in success than randomly replacing tubes, as in my experience trouble in boatanchor equipment is seldom caused by bad tubes.

Your first suspect should be bad capactors, then resistors that have changed value, and finally, tubes.

73 and good luck, John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1HZK

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 07:30:56 PM »

I have the download of the viking II manual. Do you have a High Speed Connection? I can send it to you if you pass along the e-mail address.
Keith
WA1HZK

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
W8ER
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 10:23:20 PM »

Tim,

That's not quite what the manual says. To quote the manual exactly:

"The "phone" position removes the short and applies screen voltage to the 807's  from the high voltage bleeder-divider tap. Sections of the high voltage primary "plate" switch are interconnected in the keying circuit so that the keying circuit is opened whenever the "plate" is off and the "cw-phone" switch is in the "phone" position. This eliminates oscillator interference while listening to a station operating on the same frequency as the Viking II."

They are talking about two different parts of the switching circuit. When they talk about the switch removing the short and applies screen voltage to the 807's, they are talking about the short across the secondary of the mod tranny in the CW position and the opening of that short and the application of voltage to the 807 modulator screens as accomplished by SW3A and SW3B.

There also is a set of contacts on SW3 (C) that diverts the cathode circuit of the oscillator from the keying jack to a set of contacts on SW2.

SW2 is a double pole switch that applies AC to the primary of the HV tranny but in the AM mode grounds the 6AU6 cathode for transmit.

Johnny JN .. the bleeder that they reference in the text is R13, a 20K power resistor with a tap and voltage fron that tap is what supplies the modulator screens when in the AM mode. In the CW mode the screens receive no voltage, thus turning them off. R13 is the HV bleeder.

As you said in your last thread  .. you are hearing the Viking II oscillator when you are in receive. I can only guess as to what the problem may be but it is obvious that you are not opening the ground supplied by the contacts of SW2 when you go into receive. Either the switch is bad OR it might be that you have put in some switching arrangement that causes you to leave SW2 in the transmit position while using this "other" switch to turn off the HV primary. Huh? Only you can answer that one.

There are other problems that you have told us about. Like not reading grid current on the meter. That is a separate problem but may be tied to a bad bias supply. The readings that you get on AM show little or no output and then slowly come up.

You need first to make sure the bias supply is OK.  Replace V11 a 6AL5, the bias rectifier and then check the bias voltage. It should be -75 volts on the output side of the 10 hy filter choke L3. If it has not been done already, I would replace C12.

After that is done you must do the procedure on page 11 of the 1953 version of the manual. It talks about setting the bias control R30 properly.  This is the clamp tube adjustment and would definitely affect the transmitter as you describe.

So Tim:

1) How are you switching between transmit and receive? Describe exactly what you are doing.

2) Again, have you changed the rectifier tubes and checked the supply voltages and what are they? I am speaking of all supply voltages including the bias supply. Are they all withing tolerance and are the stable?

--Larry W8ER
ve6pg

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 10:56:56 PM »

OK LARRY..ALL VOLTAGES APPEAR GOOD,I HAVE REPLACED ALL THE RETCIFIERS,THE SWITCHING T/R IS A 115VOLT RELAY,AC FROM THE REAR APRON,AS PER STOCK..NO OTHER MODS IN THAT DEPT. THE MODULATOR ISNT STOCK,I BELIEVE IT TO BE A "ETCO"..LARGER THAN STOCK,THE PRIMARY AND SECONDARY ARE FROM SMALL CERAMIC STAND-OFFS,WIRED FROM ABOVE,TO THE 807'S,AND WIRING GOING UNDER THE CHASSIS...SW2 MAY AN AREA OF CONCERN..AFTER ALL,THAT IS THE CONTROL THAT THAT GETS THE MOST PLAY,AND IT IS ORIGINAL...I WILL LOOK AT R30 AGAIN...I WILL TURN THE RIG OVER,AND LOOK INTO THE SWITCH..I HAVE REPLACED ALOT OF THE CAPS,AND HAVE NOTICED AN IMPROVEMENT IN THE FILAMENT GLOW ON THE 807'S...I HAVE OWNED THE RIG FOR ABOUT 20 YEARS,AND IT NEVER HAS GIVEN ME ANY PROBLEMS..WHOEVER OWNED THE RIG BEFORE HAS DONE SOME AUDIO MODS,DIFFERENT MODULATOR TRANNY,AND THE T3 IS NOT ORIGINAL AS WELL...OK..SHOULD RUN, I WILL LOOK INTO THE AREAS  YOU HAVE MENTIONED...73..TIM...SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
W8ER
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 11:14:00 PM »

Good start Tim.

That means that you are using S2 the "plate" switch to go from transmit to receive.

The oscillator tube and the signal that you hear when you are in receive is all tied to the switch S2. When you are in CW, the cathode of the 6AU6 is routed to the key jack. That means when the key is open, no signal, the oscillator is dead. In AM the cathode is routed to the contacts of S2. It grounds the cathode when in transmit and open it when in receive, effectively turning it off so you can hear the guy you are talking to. If the oscillator is running, it simply mean that the cathode is getting grounded somewhere.

There was a mod from Johnson that used electronic keying. There is a big shield next to the crystal sockets. If there is a little chassis and a tube mounted there, just above the crystals, you may have that optional keying citcuit installed. I rip them out cause they are a pain in the (*&. and put it back stock. Check for that too.

How is your bias voltage? Did it read -75 volts and was it steady?

--Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015