Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /homepages/11/d132647312/htdocs/Amfone/mkportal/include/SMF/smf_out.php on line 47
New in the original box, untouched ARC-5

The AM Forum
October 22, 2017, 09:30:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New in the original box, untouched ARC-5  (Read 1115 times)
KC4VWU

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 02:06:45 AM »

Does it have that "smell"?
ka1tdq

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 05:30:36 PM »

I don't really know... I didn't put my nose down there.  Sometimes it's best not to.  One surprise though was opening the rear cover on top.  My wife said, "Oh, a mirror!"  And I'm like, that's for calibrating the VFO with the seeing-eye tube, not for putting on makeup. 

Jon

K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 11:03:41 PM »

It's a work of art. I bet many of you think so too even if you have a four module class E rig sitting in the background. I've never been able to explain to someone not similarly enchanted why pieces like these or other cleverly designed and carefully constructed pieces are things of beauty.
KC4VWU

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2017, 08:48:47 AM »

Your right, sometimes it's best not to put your nose down there, but it's just radio equipment in this instance, so it's O.K.

I don't know what it is about old Military electronic gear, but it has that smell. I've learned it over the years, and it is unmistakable. Don't know what it is; varnish, MFP, or maybe some toxic substance, but it does signify that said equipment is of major coolness. And no, it's not the smell of damp basement, mouse pee saturated Hallicrafters S-40. Consumer electronics of the same period does not have "the smell", although they do have a certain scent especially when the toobs are lit.

Who knows? I doubt if any modern US mil. equipment has "the smell", since most of it, or the majority of it's parts, is made in Asia. And we know what Asian electronics smells like, right? Plastic.    
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone 2001-2015