The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:45:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Crackle Powder coating - Who?  (Read 7528 times)
W1UJR
« on: March 19, 2005, 09:39:18 PM »

Anyone have any experience with vendors who might do powder coating in black crackle?

I have a number of items, mostly older National gear, that need to be stripped and power coated.

Overspray won't work, and no, I don't want to paint it myself, not the time, talent or interest in learning.

I would just like like to find a vendor who will do an excellent job, charge me some bucks, and get the job done. Too many projects piling up on my bench, need to move the process along.

Tnx!

By the way, isn't this a cute little scope?

W8ER
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 10:52:58 PM »

Bruce,

I found a guy here that does powder coating and does wrinkle also. He's local. I just saw some parts for a 57 Thunderbird that he did and they were awsome! He did several small heads of screws and the other part was a heater box and that was done in wrinkle. I was knocked over at the quality of the work. From a hunk of junk to brand new in a couple of days. He does the sand or bead blasting and has a booth that will accomodate a whole car. His prices aren't real bad but with shipping and all .. it might get pricey before it's over. If you want, I can put you in touch with him.

--Larry W8ER
W1UJR
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 04:50:18 AM »

Excellent, I would appreciate the info.

With the new house and business, I just don't have time to do this myself any more.

Tnx
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 10:11:09 AM »

Anyone who does powder coating can do this.  You can even do it yourself.  There are plenty of DIY kits, and the wrinkle powder is easy to come by.  All you need is an air compressor, the "spray gun", and an old oven to bake the powder.  About $150 for a kit, IIRC... the old car hobby magazines have plenty of ads for this stuff.

Why not just paint it?  Harley-Davidson black wrinkle works HIHI FINE BUSINESS OM QSL VIA THE BUREAU

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 10:13:56 AM »

Hi John,

When I retire I'll have plenty of time to repaint, until then....

I think this unit was repainted, just using Simple Green stipped off the existing black crackle finish, something is wrong there. Should have stayed right on during the cleaning process.

-Bruce
W8ER
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 01:36:49 PM »

Bruce,

Here's the information that I promised you. This company is good and while I will say that it's too bad it's a good distance for you, I'm happy that it's local for me! What a find.  Smiley

Creative Powder Coating
6412 Gateway Blvd.
Elyria, OH  44035

Phone 440-322-8197
Fax 440-322-4010
km1r
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 07:20:18 PM »

Larry;

you just sparked a wild and crazy thought...

A St. James Grey WRINKLE finished 57 T-Bird!!!

ok back to the meds...

73!

Mike KM1R
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 08:09:24 PM »

long live da black crackle.
W8ER
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 11:28:14 PM »

Quote from: km1r
Larry;

you just sparked a wild and crazy thought...

A St. James Grey WRINKLE finished 57 T-Bird!!!

ok back to the meds...

73!

Mike KM1R

Mike, imagine the fright with a St James Grey wrinkle 57 T Bird. You go into a brushless car wash and with it fresh out of the exit, you pull up to the desk area and look the guy straight in the eye and say "look what your car wash just did to my car!"  :lol:

If you like 57 T Birds, my brother in law has two of them. One is finished and when it's a nice day, or there's a competition he drives it. The other is almost finished going through a complete renovation/restoration. 5 years of work. Check out the pics.

Carnie's 57 T Birds

--Larry W8ER
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 07:15:41 AM »

Naw, a '57 T-Bird is more gold Hammertone than black wrinkle.  Now a '47 Packard Custom Super Clipper, THAT'S black wrinkle, baby!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W8ER
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 06:04:26 PM »

Bruce,

My brother in law called me this morning and asked if I'd like to tag along with him to go over to the "black wrinkle" shop. I did! I met Mark, the owner and operator. He's one heck of a nice guy. He's an ex large company engineer who had a better idea! He's very tuned to not only standard things but showed us a process he was experimenting with, putting flat clear coat powder over a black gloss prime coat .. absolutely beautiful finish that you couldn't scratch. I grabbed two samples of black wrinkle, a regular finish like on a piece of "A" line equipment and a fine wrinkle that I liked so much more. Any color or texture that you can imagine! The guy is reasonable, will work with you on anything. I actually saw a couple of lawn chairs that he had powdercoated .. unbelieveable!

He also has the facility. A big building with several ovens, one big enough that you could walk into it .. car frame types!! A sand blaster that you could walk into also. He does motorcycle frames, several at a time! and yet can do the heads of screws and bolts.

He has a rainbow of colors too including a green that looks Heath!

Ugh .. what a trip!

--Larry W8ER

PS Next stop, a local silk screen shop!
W1UJR
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 08:37:19 PM »

Most cool Larry, appreciate the personal visit to check things out.

Sounds like the place, I plan to contact him this week to discuss powder coating the old National CRM scope cabinet which has been gathering dust here.

I'll be sure to post the results!

Once again, thanks for your help.

-Bruce
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 06:56:31 AM »

Yesterday the UPS guy ran over my garbage can so I had to go on safari to WallyMart for a replacement.  WHile there I found two potentially cool paint products - Krylon "non-skid" paint and some other brand "textured" - both black.

One problem with black wrinkle paint on the market is that the wrinkles are way too pronounced for certain equipment such as a BC-348 and other military gear, which has more of a textured/pebbled grain than "wrinkled".  WIth that (and an upcoming BC-348C repaint looming on the horizon) I bought both and gave 'em a shot.  Neither requires heat or very heavy coats for proper texturing (unlike traditional wrinkle paint that almost needs the XYL's oven for proper wrinkling).... I'll report the results tomorrow as I forgot to look at the sample this morning.

73 John

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 11:51:09 AM »

Quote from: w3jn
Naw, a '57 T-Bird is more gold Hammertone than black wrinkle.  Now a '47 Packard Custom Super Clipper, THAT'S black wrinkle, baby!

I know of a guy who drives his Packard once a week to pick up canolis in. You toucha his car, he breaka you face - capisce?

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015