The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:40:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Valiant issue?  (Read 2757 times)
wb6kwt
Contributing

« on: August 29, 2017, 09:02:02 AM »

After replacing the front panel on the Valiant I had a good look under the chassis and found a couple of red wires, coming from the LV PS, not connected to anything. There is green oxidation on the ends so they haven't been connected for a while. Anyone know where these go? I have had the rig powered up and putting out RF into a dummy load. I was getting 450ma, plate current in cw mode but something went wrong and can't get over 200ma of plate current now. I suspect a bad 6146 but don't have a replacement to check this out. This Valiant has had a rough life and there are mods that I have no idea what they are, so the disconnected LV wires may be someone's mod.

Bob -wb6kwt

* LV-ps.jpg (92.6 KB, 568x753 - viewed 249 times.)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 10:09:47 AM »

I feel your pain.

At times like these, I try to get an assembly manual and go through the build procedure.   If the radio was offered in kit form... dont kno about El Valiante.

KLC

What? Me worry?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 10:17:44 AM »

Page 33 of the manual defines all the colors, voltages, and resistances for all the wires coming from the various transformer and choke iron.
Manuals are good to have for trouble shooting.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
wb6kwt
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 11:29:45 AM »

Thanks Pete, I do have a manual, just wish the schematic had the colors on it. This Valiant is a factory wired unit and doubt these 2 wires were never connected, especially since the wires are just hanging there and could short out if they contact the chassis. I know David KC3GMQ is working on one and hopefully he will see this and look to see what his LV PS wires look like.

Bob

N1BCG

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 04:09:16 PM »

Are those wires coming out of the bottom of one side of a power transformer? The green wires nearby look like heater supply leads.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 04:22:47 PM »

Thanks Pete, I do have a manual, just wish the schematic had the colors on it. This Valiant is a factory wired unit and doubt these 2 wires were never connected, especially since the wires are just hanging there and could short out if they contact the chassis. I know David KC3GMQ is working on one and hopefully he will see this and look to see what his LV PS wires look like.

Bob

It isn't that difficult using the schematic and the chart to trace wires from the transformer to their respective connections. I doubt the factory would leave two transformer wire ends uninsulated and dangling.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
wb6kwt
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 08:28:24 PM »

I suspect they were originally connected to J8, on the back of the chassis. Looking at the manual, I see the wiring looms but the print is so small I can't really read the notations. On page 34, of my manual, it shows 6.8V between the 2 green wires and J8 should have 6.3V on pin 8. I still can't see J8 on the schematic though. I'll check the voltage on the two wires tomorrow, too hot out in the garage right now 97 deg.

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015