The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:33:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pair of Johnson transmitters.  (Read 25952 times)
kc4umo

« on: August 20, 2017, 07:56:38 PM »

Hi everyone. Been a while. Do not get a lot of time to get on forums as of late.

After searching for a long while I finally got a couple of Johnson transmitters.  Not the prettiest ones on the block but at least they are complete.  I did a bit of work for a guy and these were the payment.
A Ranger 1 and a Viking II. Will be a bit of work but will be fun. And with that work should be a good sounding station on the air,

If interested here is a video tour of the two.  But I  will be also doing quite a bit of picture taking and documenting the restore process. I have only worked on a few of these units over the years and have never restored either of the two. So will be searching for a lot of information on these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbI19Ki78DA

* Johnsons.jpg (100.31 KB, 640x360 - viewed 335 times.)

N1BCG

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 08:48:40 PM »

That's fantastic! Congratulations on getting two classic rigs!

It sounds like you're already familiar with these so the restoration should go smoothly, and the best part is that nobody will notice the chipped paint. All anyone remembers is that you were running a restored Ranger or V2.
kc4umo

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 09:33:21 PM »

That's fantastic! Congratulations on getting two classic rigs!

It sounds like you're already familiar with these so the restoration should go smoothly, and the best part is that nobody will notice the chipped paint. All anyone remembers is that you were running a restored Ranger or V2.

Thanks. I have looked for a long time for a couple of these rigs.  Most were beyond repair of fully restored. I think I got lucky to find two that are complete with most of the original caps.  I am no expert on these at all. I have watched a few videos and read a lot of articles on them. Even worked on a few over the years. But this will be my first restore on these models. I think it will be fun.

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 09:05:05 AM »

Buddy
Your YouTube channel is one of my favorites. I was wondering if you were a ham. Glad to have you here and keep up the good work! Hope to hear you on AM, soon!

Bob
wb6kwt
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 09:06:54 AM »

Hi Buddy,

Looking forward to your videos on these two transmitters, I'm working on a Valiant and have a Viking II waiting for some TLC too. I really enjoy watching your video and have learned a lot of things from you.

Bob - wb6kwt
kc4umo

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 06:46:33 PM »

Buddy
Your YouTube channel is one of my favorites. I was wondering if you were a ham. Glad to have you here and keep up the good work! Hope to hear you on AM, soon!

Bob

Thank you Bob. I am pleased to hear you like the videos. I try and keep things at a non techno speak plain language style and it seems to work.  I used to read and post here quite a bit before things got busy. Keeping up with fan mail is a job! Over two thousand mails in the last 7 days.  I will be around a bit more.

Hi Buddy,

Looking forward to your videos on these two transmitters, I'm working on a Valiant and have a Viking II waiting for some TLC too. I really enjoy watching your video and have learned a lot of things from you.

Bob - wb6kwt

Another thanks to you too Bob. These are fun to work on. I already tore into the Ranger and finding some interesting presents left behind by others.  Tells a great story of it's life. I will be documenting and video the whole process. Much more to come.

Thanks to the both for the support.

Last night and this afternoon I went ahead and removed the front panel of the Ranger. Then got the VFO cover off to see how things looked.  I found the phenolic behind the vernier was gone. Nothing but dust on the floor.
Also the grease was hard as a rock. The VFO platform looked great and found the OA2 regulator tube had a melt down. Someone has changed the dropping resistor already to a 7 watt wire round.  So time to rebuild the VFO because this is a bit of work to get back into.

* resized.jpg (90.1 KB, 640x360 - viewed 322 times.)

wb6kwt
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 07:49:16 PM »

Buddy, there is a guy on ebay selling a nice replacement for the coupler phenolic piece, $10 plus shipping  it's, well made. I know you will probably make your own but I wasn't sure I could make it without making a mess of it.

Bob -wb6kwt
kc4umo

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 08:42:13 PM »

Buddy, there is a guy on ebay selling a nice replacement for the coupler phenolic piece, $10 plus shipping  it's, well made. I know you will probably make your own but I wasn't sure I could make it without making a mess of it.

Bob -wb6kwt

Great I will take a look at it. But like you sais I will most likely make one. Very simple and hard to mess up. You can make it square or round.  Depending on the thickness of the material. Round thick ones do not flex that good.  Thanks for that information.

kc4umo

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 09:28:39 AM »

Well had a little time this week to clean up the chassis a bit. Also made a parts list so I can get the necessary parts on order. Will probably go ahead and order the capacitors for the Viking II so will have them on hand.

If things go well I will get a bit done over the week end.  Projects like this can take a lot of time.
Need to find a potentiometer for the drive control. This one is shorted.

* Ranger B&A.JPG (62.74 KB, 485x551 - viewed 352 times.)

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 08:52:30 AM »

I picked up a can of that rubbing / buffing polish you mentioned. Using it on two Heath RX's that I'm working on. That stuff really does an incredible job on the aluminum chassis. Thanks for the tip. Just curious, you ever have any experience with a Sencore LC101 "Z" Meter? Got a strange problem with the ESR function and no schematic.
kc4umo

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 03:41:24 PM »

I picked up a can of that rubbing / buffing polish you mentioned. Using it on two Heath RX's that I'm working on. That stuff really does an incredible job on the aluminum chassis. Thanks for the tip. Just curious, you ever have any experience with a Sencore LC101 "Z" Meter? Got a strange problem with the ESR function and no schematic.

It is great stuff.  I use that, Brasso and gojo hand cleaner for all my restorations.

On the Sencore have you checked the relay? They go bad at times.  As you already notice no schematic can be found in PDF format. They do however turn up on ebay.
I have the manual but there is no schematic in it.

kc4umo

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 03:44:14 PM »

Well after a week end of work the Ranger came to life today.  Replaced all caps, 25K 4 watt drive pot, 6cl6 and OA2 tube, along with a hand full of resistors.
Audio sounds pretty good. Rig does not work in CW mode so need to troubleshoot that.

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 08:18:44 AM »

On the Sencore have you checked the relay? They go bad at times.  As you already notice no schematic can be found in PDF format. They do however turn up on ebay.
I have the manual but there is no schematic in it.

So last night I decided to remove the PCB's and start by cleaning and reseating all the connectors. To my surprise, that did it - credit goes to Deoxit! Found the info on their "special" cable which is made of RG-62. Got hold of an old LAN jumper cable that already had BNC's installed. All done - on to the next project - a "moused" SB-310
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 10:17:57 AM »

If i rember, there is a procedure for adding a few resisrors in series with the drive pot thereby lowering the dissipation. Im not at home so my notes are not at hand.

Klc

What? Me worry?
kc4umo

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 09:54:28 PM »

So last night I decided to remove the PCB's and start by cleaning and reseating all the connectors. To my surprise, that did it - credit goes to Deoxit! Found the info on their "special" cable which is made of RG-62. Got hold of an old LAN jumper cable that already had BNC's installed. All done - on to the next project - a "moused" SB-310

Deoxit  is some good stuff. Glad you got it goind

kc4umo

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 09:56:11 PM »

If i rember, there is a procedure for adding a few resisrors in series with the drive pot thereby lowering the dissipation. Im not at home so my notes are not at hand.

Klc

You may be on to something there. Yesterday I ran into an article where this was mentioned. But no further details were noted. I would be interested in what your note have to offer.

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 12:13:33 AM »

Look at this,

http://www.ad5x.com/images/Articles/Ranger%20Mods.pdf    ,

particularly " Protecting Drive pot R13 ".

You should (well, in my opinion ) look at     

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/mods.htm             

and review the material available. Don't just look at the Johnson stuff, look at the whole resource.

good luck.

klc

What? Me worry?
kc4umo

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 04:12:27 PM »

I will verify this over the week end but I have a feeling these resistors are the drive pot modification. Or at least a crude attempt.
Some good stuff on those links you shared. I will spend days looking that over. Thanks

kc4umo

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 07:54:52 PM »

Got part one of the Ranger restoration edited and uploaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImVTRCr2KRs

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 09:27:19 PM »

Just watched it - you make it look easy! Can't wait to work you on the air when you fire it up.
kc4umo

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 10:13:39 AM »

Just watched it - you make it look easy! Can't wait to work you on the air when you fire it up.

Cool. Actually it was very easy. The design and layout of these old rigs helps.  Cannot wait to get it on the air. Just have to freshen up one of my old receivers soon. All I have is a couple of Nationals, NC-98 and a NC-155. Got to find something better.
Thanks

wb6kwt
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 07:23:26 AM »

Buddy, thanks for the video, looking forward for part 2. What is the "foam" you sprayed on the tooth brush?
kc4umo

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 11:50:23 AM »

Buddy, thanks for the video, looking forward for part 2. What is the "foam" you sprayed on the tooth brush?

Thanks.
The foam is nothing more than a product called "Totally Awesome". Drilled small holes in the pickup tube so when you squeeze the trigger it comes out as a foam. It is really a good cleaner and cheap too. Hope that helps.

wb6kwt
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 07:50:48 PM »

Thanks, never heard of it.

Bob
kc4umo

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 09:58:07 PM »

You can find it at Walmart, truevalue ect. Cheap but works great and not as harsh as other cleaners.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015