The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:38:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RANE ME15B Recommendation  (Read 1685 times)
W1KSZ

« on: August 20, 2017, 12:04:17 PM »

Has anyone used a Rane ME15B with their AM transmitter ?

Just wondering if it's worth using.

Tnx es 73, Dick, W1KSZ
KQ6F

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 06:29:57 PM »

There are dozens of manufacturers making 15-band EQ boxes and they are all pretty much the same.  And so with apologies to Rane, there's probably nothing special (or much different) about the ME15B.

If adjusted properly an EQ box connected between a mic preamp and the AM transmitter can enhance the audio.  A very gentle boost of the 200-400 Hz frequency range can "warm up" the voice and similarly boosting the 2 - 3.5 kHz range can add brightness and intelligibility.

Lots of guys have EQ boxes like these in their audio racks.  You can usually find used ones for less than $100 (or a brand-new one from Behringer for $100).  For a modest investment, it's a new toy to play with.

Rod

W1KSZ

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 08:33:20 PM »

I asked about the Rane because I had a chance to get one. I am a newbie to this sort
of audio manipulation.

Thanks for the reply,

73, Dick, W1KSZ
N1BCG

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 08:59:59 PM »

Since it's a two channel EQ, you have the option of using the two channels independently. For example, the left channel could be used to create a gently sloping "pre-emphasis" of the vocal "presence" frequencies (4-6 kHz)  ???for a crisper sound while the right channel could follow your processor as a LPF (Low Pass Filter) to limit bandwidth when the spectrum gets crowded.

Another use for the second channel could be as a receive audio EQ if you have a separate receiver.

The key to getting good sound from an EQ that cuts the audio spectrum into so many parts is to keep the gain changes between bands subtle, i.e., avoid having adjacent sliders set more than 6dB apart. This will go a long way toward reducing phasing artifacts at the crossover frequencies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015