The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:15:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking II Civil Defense version  (Read 9205 times)
WO4K
Contributing

« on: August 12, 2017, 02:22:43 PM »

Today I acquired a Viking II Civil Defense version. Eventually it will replace my DX-100B as AM transmitter. Factory assembled. Looks unmodified...EXCEPT for that vernier dial added to the front. Appears the CD decal is original and has not been moved. The vernier dial is attached to...nothing. Doesn't look like it ever was attached to anything. Can anyone advise if this dial ever had a CD-version function on the Viking II?

* IMG_3833.JPG (448.98 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 400 times.)

Patrolling the ionosphere from Woodlawn, Tennessee.
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 03:07:41 PM »

being that vernier dial is oriental and not origional its was maybe for a vfo add on and could do so

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 03:34:26 PM »

It is not on mine, must be an add-on.

Phil - AC0OB

* Viking II - ALL Schematics for All.pdf (976.43 KB - downloaded 787 times.)

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
WO4K
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 04:14:14 PM »

Thought so. Looks like someone started a mod, installed the dial, and then decided not to do it. Hmmm. Thanks for that link, Phil!

WO4K
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 07:40:56 AM »

Phil, how good is the audio on your Viking II CDC? Did you have to do any of the Viking II audio mods? I ask because the audio circuit in this CDC beast is different than a standard Viking II audio circuit.

kb3rdt

poop cup

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 08:22:49 PM »

I am thinking doing this mod

http://wireless-girl.com/Projects/AMTransmitters/JohnsonViking2.html

WO4K
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 06:27:15 AM »

My goal is to bring this puppy back to stock first. I want to find out just how much those factory mods (compression and clipping) affect the audio quality.

I cannot fathom why some DPO (Dreaded...or the "D-word" of your choice...Previous Owner) butchered the stock panel so badly. I have not found anyone who is currently in the business of the restoration of boat anchor panels using the original silk screening process. Even if there was, it would require scanning a good original Viking II CDC panel...and the chances of that are slim.

If anyone out there knows someone who does silk screened panels, please let me know. And if anyone has a spare Viking II CDC panel they want to sell...(I know, I know...odds of winning the PowerBall lottery are probably better).

k7mdo
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 07:04:09 AM »

I have and operate a CD version that is currently "bone" stock. Good solid transmitter but the locals refer to the audio as 'a little thin'.

That said, I have contemplated many of the mods to enhance the audio and modulator section but always seem to get sidetracked with less daunting projects.

As to the panel finish, mine is pretty bad with paint failure.  The paints used were fleeting at best.

One thing to note is that there are at least two versions of panels.  Mine is not a CDC version but rather a CD version on the original front panel. It is part of the logo and clearly original.

If you do find someone who can duplicate with silk screen you will want to specify, if possible, the wording.

At this time I have two non-CD panels from donor Viking II transmitters and numerous parts should you run into parts issues with your restoration. 

Interestingly between the three Vikings I have, at least one has a different meter hole size in the panel, so there are variations you might not at first suspect.

I find the transmitters easy to work on but often I find issues crop up just from the age of the simple things like wire insulation deterioration.

Please let me know if you find a panel restorer who can tackle the CD or CDC panels at a reasonable price!!.

73 Tom

WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 07:20:19 AM »

Last year I had my Viking I front panel redone.  Joe, N2CJF did it, and the results came out very nice.

Jim
Wd5JKO
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 02:21:37 PM »

modified.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 03:30:40 PM »

The Viking II CDC had continuous frequency coverage from 1.7 to 30 MHz along with other additions and "CD conform enhancements". The "regular" Viking II did not. It's conceivable that back in the "good old days" rigs were used in Civil Defense setups and "CD Stickers" were put on them. Didn't necessarily mean they conformed to the FCDA requirements. 

See the attached for the Viking II CDC Design file requirements.

* Viking-IICDC-DesignFile.pdf (1145.49 KB - downloaded 225 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 08:29:32 PM »

Same crappy audio at the civilian version with the addition of a clipper to make it even more crappy. The only good addition was PTT.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 09:03:23 PM »

Same crappy audio at the civilian version with the addition of a clipper to make it even more crappy. The only good addition was PTT.

Maybe they felt that if the big bomb went off, crappy audio would make it through the EMP pulse better then Hi-Fi audio  Grin

DMOD
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 10:42:01 PM »

From my article linked above, check and see if there is an additional coil, L70, in the Pi-Net circuit to determine if this is truly a Viking II-CDC:

...There are added inductance values at various stages. L4, the oscillator coil, and L5A, the buffer coil, have slightly different inductances with respect to the stock Viking II. An additional inductance in the PI-Net, L70, which has the same value as L10, was added to increase the inductance for an additional 100 kHz slide down to 1.7 MHz...

Phil - AC0OB

Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
k7mdo
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 11:49:09 PM »

Oddly I have seen both panels, clearly scripted as viking II-CD or viking II-CDC

I imagine it is different years of panel production but can't prove that.  From a circuit standpoint, my -CD version is the same as the ones emblazoned with -CDC.

The stickers are a different issue as I have seen variations probably depending on distribution years and locations.

What I have read is that the restricted audio chain was done so as to preserve intelligibility when a civilian is screaming "nuclear blast!!!!!" into the microphone.

T

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 02:18:38 AM »

Oddly I have seen both panels, clearly scripted as viking II-CD or viking II-CDC

I imagine it is different years of panel production but can't prove that.  From a circuit standpoint, my -CD version is the same as the ones emblazoned with -CDC.

The stickers are a different issue as I have seen variations probably depending on distribution years and locations.

What I have read is that the restricted audio chain was done so as to preserve intelligibility when a civilian is screaming "nuclear blast!!!!!" into the microphone.

T

Where on the panel is it scripted as a Viking II-CD? All Viking II-CDC's had only the "CD" logo on the upper left of the front panel. Same area as the vernier knob is located in the initial post.

k7mdo
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 03:32:47 PM »

Attached is a photo of my Viking II CD version.  It is not the first I have seen with this logo but have never seen a reference to different logos.  I have seen several with the logo "Johnson Viking II - CDC".

73, Tom

* CD picture.jpg (106.62 KB, 756x504 - viewed 323 times.)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 06:59:54 PM »

I've never seen one study showing distorted, under-modulated audio makes it through anything better than non-distorted, fully-modulated audio. But if an atomic bomb went off, it wouldn't have mattered anyway. :-(

Maybe they felt that if the big bomb went off, crappy audio would make it through the EMP pulse better then Hi-Fi audio  Grin
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 12:53:24 PM »

Attached is a photo of my Viking II CD version.

Exact same artwork that was on the one I had Tom.  Seems the "All Viking II-CDC's had only the "CD" logo on the upper left of the front panel." statement is in error!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 02:08:28 PM »

Attached is a photo of my Viking II CD version.

Exact same artwork that was on the one I had Tom.  Seems the "All Viking II-CDC's had only the "CD" logo on the upper left of the front panel." statement is in error!

All the ones I've seen and owned over the years had Johnson Viking II-CDC  printed over the plate tank tuning dial and the CD decal on the upper left. This is also what the brochure showed. In the picture below, you can see where the CD decal was removed on this Viking II-CDC.
Bottom line, "who cares"; Johnson only made three versions of the Viking II. The consumer version in kit form, the consumer version in factory wired form, and a Civil Defense version in only factory wired form (which obviously had front panel logo printed with either "CD" or "CDC").

DMOD
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2017, 10:28:16 AM »

Here is my Viking II-CDC on the bench after all upgrades were made.

Any other emblems or stickers were added after receipt of the unit.

Phil

* VIking II-CDC Front Panel.jpg (1325.89 KB, 3872x2592 - viewed 363 times.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015