The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:27:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit IT-28 advice  (Read 3582 times)
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« on: July 01, 2017, 05:21:28 PM »

The IT-28 stopped working for electrolytic caps.  There is no deflection of the magic eye, good cap or bad.  It works for others. Do any of you know what it's trying to do differently for electrolytic caps? I'm getting a headache trying to decipher the wafer diagram.

Also, is there something modern and reliable I could get that could replace it? It's such a staple on the work bench but I hate flaky test equipment. I'm baffled enough without the test equipment adding mystery.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 06:38:27 PM »

I paid 30 bucks and bought a component analyzer from China to work on cataloging the 400 lbs of bulk parts I got for ten bucks.

Measures anything, even unknown components, and tells you what they are.  Mosfets, transistors, caps, etc.

The only thing I don't see working correctly is the L function.  It always wants to treat as a resistor.  As I have a VNA and AADE lc meter, not a big deal.

This also has an ESR meter built in, which has agreed really closely to published specs of known recent made electrolytics.

Identical item to 322393525803 on eBay.  Like I said, I spent 30 bucks.  I see them for 10, if you don't want a case.

So far  accuracy as published, compares favorably with the AADE, a VICHY meter as well as my 600 dollar fluke, and the vna.

And, it's usb rechargeable.

--Shane
KD6VXI
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 06:45:12 PM »

Another shameless plug for that component tester.

I bought a bag of 100 x MPF102.

Tried 4.  ALL BAD!

Bought some j310, worked perfect.  Stuffed the bad mpf devices into a corner of the bench.

Got the tester, said what the hell.... 

Turns out gate and source where reversed, and the fets still work pretty decently.  I've NO idea what they actually are, but that saved me from trashing 'counterfeit' devices.

--Shane
KD6VXI
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 02:48:07 PM »

Fixed! After barking up the wrong tree for awhile, I discovered a bad R in the switched voltage divider. 22K R30 had zoomed to 1.6M. It didn't matter much for paper caps but electrolytics are a horse of a different color.

Shane. Thanks for the tip. I may get one of those.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 10:21:46 AM »

Got a link to this magic device?
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 12:40:53 PM »

http://m.ebay.com/itm/3-5-TFT-Transistor-Tester-Diode-Triode-Capacitance-Meter-LCR-ESR-NPN-MOSFET-US-/322393525803?nav=SEARCH

The downside, it only drops to 25 pf.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 09:05:38 PM »

I'm glad you fixed the IT-28. Too often people give up on the older gear especially that which is not 'big name', when all they need is some TLC after the decades of time.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015