The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:31:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost My Buddy  (Read 5395 times)
KE5YTV
Contributing

« on: June 26, 2017, 06:02:33 PM »

Today I had to have my cat Petey put to sleep. He was nineteen and had been with my family his whole life. Since 2006 it's been just me and him here at home. He was the most loving cat that I've ever had. I will miss his companionship and unconditional love. I'm sorry to bother the group with this but I know a lot of you are cat lovers. I am grieving and I am broken hearted. I just had to tell someone.  Cry

Mike

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
W1ITT

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 06:21:02 PM »

Cats rule.  I've had to put a few elderly cats down over the years and it's hard, but the time comes when it's the best thing to do for your old friend.  I'd like to think that when my own time comes, someone could spare me the suffering of "the end" but I'm afraid that option isn't available for people.
Of course you'll want to take your time, but I always figure that the "next" cat is a tribute to all the fine felines that have come before.  The animal shelters have plenty of deserving critters that need a good ham shack to curl up in.
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 06:26:41 PM »

Mike,

I am also a cat person. Those creatures can really become a integral part of a family, or household. We had to put one asleep a few years back. It was really difficult for me, my wife, and daughter. Even the younger cat was there to say goodbye.

Moving forward, perhaps you may again consider having a pet. I sure hope so.

Sorry for your loss.

Jim
Wd5JKO
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 07:24:07 PM »

Sorry to hear of your loss Mike. I'm sure you will miss your good companion. May you find peace.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 07:48:10 PM »

Sorry to hear of your loss too Mike. It can be very hard to accept and come to terms with. My little girl and companion, Zoey, passed a year ago today, 6/26/16. It still breaks my heart that she's gone. http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=41857.0

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 10:59:22 PM »

Mike,

So sorry to hear of your great loss. It really hits home for me.

Losing them is one of the worst events life has to offer. The tears and finality of it all - they suddenly go from the present now moment and become the past, never to return again.... waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for their masters to join them.

I've been through it about once every 14 years since 1974. Life can't get any worse for a time but somehow we go on.  It's the price we pay for all the wonderful years together.

It seems that a new pet is the only help. Just think what it would be like if you decided not to get Petey 19 years ago.  Consider finding another buddy as soon as you feel able. It will help, though can never replace your loss. A piece of us always goes with them.

This quote may help:  "Don't be sad because they are gone - smile because it happened."

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 12:53:12 AM »

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. I'm surprised how much the loss of my pet has affected me. It's going to take some time to get over this.

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
RolandSWL
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 08:18:41 AM »

So sorry for your loss, Mike. I too have an elderly boy named PETEY. He's got a touch of arthritis and a bad heart but that doesn't get in his way. There is no short cut when it comes to grieving after such a loss. Grief is a monument to those we loved.

Roland...............
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 02:20:03 PM »

So sorry for your loss Mike.  As you mentioned, it will take time to adjust to your loss.  Not at all easy and as time passes, all one gets good at, is dealing with the deep loss.

Joe-W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 07:44:47 PM »

Mike, I am very sorry to hear about Petey's passing away. I've always kept cats that have come to me by one means or another, and when one of them passes away it always takes my love with it, and leaves its love in my heart. Cats and indeed other animals live their lives as God intended and when we can share a deep friendship with them it is all we can ask. I am not an emotional man but I mourned one cat 3 months. You are not alone in grief for a wonderful old friend. One cat leads to another and when it is time you will know, or a cat may just present itself to you unexpected. That is a gift of the best kind.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 08:52:57 AM »

Quite often pets are better than humans because they are loyal and give unconditional affection and love.  They won't lie, steal and cheat.

There will never be another Petey but as Norm stated the shelters are overflowing and there is a cat or dog just waiting for you to co,e and save them.  They know and will always be grateful.....

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 03:34:36 PM »

Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement. Today's a better day and I'm sure that in the future I'll find another feline buddy that needs a home.

Mike

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015