The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:55:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this right enclosure?  (Read 7204 times)
N9NEO

« on: March 17, 2005, 08:29:14 AM »

This doesn't look like correct enclosure to me.  I seem to recall that the top & bottom pieces of the SP-600 enclosure appeared to be a stamping.  OEM enclosure had nice rounded corners that could only have been formed by stamp.  I suspect top & bottom stamped, then welded to sides.

I think $350 is way to much to pay.

NEO

I'd rather be anatomically correct than politically correct!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 08:38:28 AM »

Bob, here's what the cabinet oughta look like.  I once had a SP-600 that was essentially new in the crate... the previous owner had purchased it in the mid-1950s in Argentina then moved to the US where it was in storage.  He pulled it out of the crate a week before I bought it, but he unfortunately threw the crate away.  This photo exactly represents the cabinet that was on mine.  Note the handles on the sides.

BTW this is a pretty standard cabinet, and they turn up from time to time at hamfests.  I scored one (a bit dented and rusty) that housed some HB POS test equipment - $10 for the whole shebang.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N9NEO

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 10:01:02 AM »

JN,

Wow, I forgot to include link. The point about the enclosure is this one looks like it could have been made with a sheet metal brake, where the origional factory looks to have been stamped because corners are round on three axis - like a ball - or  J Lo's ass.  See?  I might be totally wrong.

Anyway guy has buy it now price of $350 bucks.  Ouch!  I think way too much for a box that isn't stock.  I couldn't tell from your post what corners looked like.

I scored an old HP capacitance tester with a box on Epay last week.  I think one of my receivers might fit in box if it's deep enough.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5760454780&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT

I'd rather be anatomically correct than politically correct!
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 10:33:25 AM »

This cabinet looks like one of a production run done several years ago of "new" SP-600-style cabinets that was put together by a member of the BA reflector at theporch.com.  

While these were made by the same company that built the original cabinets for Hammarlund, they no longer had the square vent dies from the original, and the cost to build an actual reproduction would have been prohibitively expensive.

These are nice cabinets (I still have one) .. but not SP-600 original, and not $350 worth at any stretch.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 10:39:01 AM »

Yeah, expensive, and not even the right friggin' cabinet.

If you're not worried about getting the exact correct one for your SP-600, you can find 'em at hamfests for pretty cheap.  I scored a brand new one at the last Hosstraders for $30.  Kind of a more modern style, but nice and deep - many that you find aren't deep enough.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 11:57:22 AM »

Quote from: nq5t
This cabinet looks like one of a production run done several years ago of "new" SP-600-style cabinets that was put together by a member of the BA reflector at theporch.com.  

While these were made by the same company that built the original cabinets for Hammarlund, they no longer had the square vent dies from the original, and the cost to build an actual reproduction would have been prohibitively expensive.

These are nice cabinets (I still have one) .. but not SP-600 original, and not $350 worth at any stretch.

You're correct. Cal Eustaquio, from CA, worked a deal with Premier Metal in 2000(?) to build about 200 of these cabinets. Cal solicited interest on several reflectors to gather interest and funds for the project. I believe the cabinet sold for around $190 each and, with shipping direct to your location, I believe the total came to around $218. The first batch was single boxed and some suffered damage. The next batch was double boxed several weeks later, and, I believe, all were received in fine shape. I have two here and both came through in fine shape. They are very nice cabinets.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015