The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:46:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Technical But Out of the Norm.  (Read 9040 times)
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« on: March 27, 2005, 08:53:59 AM »

Good Morning,

I don't know if anyone else here gets the Northern Tool Catalog, but there is a machine in there that's Peaked my interest here, It's a Lathe, Milling, Drilling Machine Combo.

Multipurpose machine that operates on a 1/2 HP 110V, 550 Watt motor. it has five spindle speeds from 430-2000 RPM, Lathe has 7 1/4 center height with  14" between centers. A 5/8 Drilling Capacity, 3/4 Milling Diameter and 2 1/2" facing diameter. the Accessory Kit includes 3-Jaw Chuck with wrench, Drilling Chuck, Drill taper Stock, Dead center#s 2 and 3 wedge, pressing wrench and drawing bar with nut.

All this for 730.00 plus tax and shipping.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=7171&R=7171

Very Nice little Machine...
KL7OF

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 09:49:17 AM »

Jack..... I have used this machine and it is pretty good.....The machine in factory condition is not capable of extreme precision but with some bearing changes and truing of the chuck(s), it can be...There is a guy on the net called "Varmit Al" (do a google search) that has some really good information on improving the chinese machines...Check out his Lathe page......Steve
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 01:01:14 PM »

Hi Steve,

Ya know i have a Small Craftsman table top drill press, but there are times when i needed this or that and If I Had That to do this. I checked that web site it's Fine Buisness and Thanks.. Cheesy

Anytime i need something done I'm friends with the Head of Maintaince at the local school here, (We went to school together), and he let's me in the school shop to do things i need done...as long as i clean up my mess. But it's at the point where this stuff is affordable now and within reason of course.

I like the Idea of a Combo format, very handy... Space Worthy ya know..

Like with Cooling you'd only need One cooling tower, and One Pan..what i would do is Take the chuck down to a Machine shop I am Friends with and Have them true the Head and Machine the jaws,and the bearings i could handle that here, Good Advice thou Thanks...
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 01:21:24 PM »

Take a look at the Grizzly stuff too.

http://www.grizzly.com/
W8ER
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 02:02:51 PM »

You can not only look at their goods online but request a catalog! It's probably the finest catalog that I've ever seen. It's a work of art and good for hours of entertainment. You can request one on their website and it takes a couple of weeks to arrive.

--Larry
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 04:29:17 PM »

Quote from: Steve - WB3HUZ
Take a look at the Grizzly stuff too.

http://www.grizzly.com/

Very Nice Steven, and better build, Thanks for the link.

I req'd a catalog..The wife will be haunting me.. Cheesy
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 04:48:00 PM »

Grizzly has their store/factory(what isn't done in Chinkland) up in Williamsport about 35 miles NW of here. About once or twice a year they have their clearance sale. Reach Rd is damn near impassable because of all the cars parked by the store. I wouldn't mind having a small lathe for those coil building jobs and other 'Government work' that arises.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 08:08:56 PM »

You also want to look at the Smithy machine and compare. I have a older Smithy mill/drill/lathe. You can do nice work on one with patience. If I have one complaint about my time on one, it's that they don't stay "tight" and being as small as they are you can't take a a lot off at a time.

That being said, I have made parts for stuff, fixtures for work in the test lab I work at and I have made skew bevel gears on this machine. Once you get used to the little beasty they are fun to use and take up a lot less space than the alternatives.

Bill KA8WTK
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 10:40:00 PM »

Quote from: Bill
You also want to look at the Smithy machine and compare. I have a older Smithy mill/drill/lathe.

I heard that those machines fart a lot.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 07:49:03 AM »

Been using Grizzly stuff for 10 years.
I set the planer up the day I got it and have done nothin' but
cleaning and lubricating since. Very dependable !!1

http://www.wd8bil.com/Woodshop.htm
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 08:05:54 AM »

I heard that those machines fart a lot.

Don't feed it beans. Unless you mean something else......

Bill KA8WTK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015