The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:36:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Valient 1 VFO Reduction Drive problem  (Read 9598 times)
K6IC
Contributing

« on: March 15, 2005, 04:22:26 PM »

Had a Valient 1 for a year or so for restoration.  Recently traded it to a friend for some Rohn 25 tower sections.

It has not ever moved the VFO pointer/capacitor,  when the VFO knob was turned.  Had thought that it was just a loose set screw or slipping coupling.

WRONG,  seems that the lil brass reduction drive thingie mounted on the front panel is broken or disfunctional.

Since this is a friend who now has the rig,  am trying to help.

Is this reduction/vernier drive repairable or available ?

There was also something about a broken phenolic coupler to the VFO cap,  which could be needed -- perhaps this item could be made from plastic etc.

Kinna a stupid question,  but just did not ever look inside the VFO box.

Short of a parts rig,  any thoughts ??  Thanks  Vic  KF6RIP
W8ER
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 05:06:45 PM »

I have never heard of one being repaired. You can search the internet, they are called "Jackson" drives and I believe have a 6 to 1 reduction. I have seen them on Ebay from time to time Vic. A source that you might try is Dee Almquist W4PNT.  Do a Google search for him. Dee does restorations on Rangers and Valiants and may have a source for that reduction drive.

There was also something about a broken phenolic coupler to the VFO cap, which could be needed -- perhaps this item could be made from plastic etc.

That is a tough one. In working on a Ranger that had problems with one of those couplers .. very brittle and impossible to find .. I chose to go with a metal coupler and a lucite 1/4 inch rod for a shaft. I tried all of the epoxy tricks and nothing worked.

In the area of the Valiant that you are talking about, that may not be possible. You might look to see if one of the more common ceramic insulated couplers would work. They are on Ebay all of the time and likely available from Mouser etc. but I know that space is a premium in there.

A parts rig would be heaven sent but the coupler would probably be as brittle as the one you have. Again ask Dee if he has any ideas.

Good luck!

--Larry W8ER
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 06:18:57 PM »

GREAT,  Larry !

Thanks a lot for the info ... just sent a message to Dee Almquist, and will see what he has to say.   Will also look on e-pay for the drives.

Thanks again,  Larry.    Vic    KF6RIP
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 06:40:35 PM »

Quote from: KF6RIP
Had a Valient 1 for a year or so for restoration.  Recently traded it to a friend for some Rohn 25 tower sections.

It has not ever moved the VFO pointer/capacitor,  when the VFO knob was turned.  Had thought that it was just a loose set screw or slipping coupling.

WRONG,  seems that the lil brass reduction drive thingie mounted on the front panel is broken or disfunctional.

Since this is a friend who now has the rig,  am trying to help.

There was also something about a broken phenolic coupler to the VFO cap,  which could be needed -- perhaps this item could be made from plastic etc.

Kinna a stupid question,  but just did not ever look inside the VFO box.

Short of a parts rig,  any thoughts ??  Thanks  Vic  KF6RIP

Vic, are you sure it's the reduction mechanism and not the coupler?  The coupler has a piece cardboard in the middle of it, easily damaged prone to failure.  I have successfully replaced them with a little square cut out of a binder, the stiff carboard cheapo binders, not the plastic covered usual binder.
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 06:49:08 PM »

1.  Larry,  Dee Almquist has changed his e-mail,  and QRZ also has the old one ... will look for a phone #

2.  John,  Hi ...  Am doing ths by remote interaction ... have not really seen the guts of this VFO,  so I know nothing about it other than what have heard.   Will go look @ it soon.  Thanks for the info .. will take a cheapo binder !   C U on Am.

73  Thanks again.   DE  Vic  KF6RIP  .  .
n2bc
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 07:15:19 PM »

The reduction drive comes apart....   Running from memory here.

The large nut that looks like it's a shoulder on the large threaded part will come off. The problem is that it is has loctite or some such thread sealant on it.

Wrap the long threaded part with masking tape.  I then put the whole thing in a sturdy plastic bag and let it soak in very hot water for a few minutes.

Now grab the wrapped threads with a pliers (gently) and unscrew the large nut - you will need to use a wrench.  

Some I have done have come off easily, some were snots and I had to clean up the damaged threads with a tiny file.

Once it starts to unscrew, grab a paper and pencil... make a diagram of the pieces as you disassemble.  There are ball bearings and shim washers.

Clean everything, reassemble with a touch of lithium grease. Clean the threads for the large nut and reapply some loctite.

You will have to juggle the adjustment of the nut to eliminate backlash without injecting any binds.

The device is a marvel of simplicity.  But the grease in there turned to glue 20 years ago!

Good Luck,  73,  Bill
W8ER
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 07:20:53 PM »

Boy, you can learn something new everyday!

Here's a link to Dee's website .. including phone numbers:

http://www.w4pnt.8k.com/

--Larry W8ER
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 09:26:31 PM »

K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 09:26:41 PM »

K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 09:32:02 PM »

Thanks Bill and Larry,

Bill,   great info on taking apart the drive.  If it is part of the prob,  will give that a try.

Larry,  must have Googled to the old website,  thanks for the new info ... have sent msg to the new e-mail noted there.

Jon,  sorry,  I DO know that U are Jon, NOT JOHN,   just schlipped.

73  Thanks all ... will advise on progress.   Vic   KF6RIP
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 09:32:02 PM »

Thanks Bill and Larry,

Bill,   great info on taking apart the drive.  If it is part of the prob,  will give that a try.

Larry,  must have Googled to the old website,  thanks for the new info ... have sent msg to the new e-mail noted there.

Jon,  sorry,  I DO know that U are Jon, NOT JOHN,   just schlipped.

73  Thanks all ... will advise on progress.   Vic   KF6RIP
Aub
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 01:15:39 PM »

Hi all,
There is a company, over here in England, who now produce the Jackson range of variable caps and reduction drives, etc. Might come in handy if you can't find what you need.

Their web site is:-

http://www.mainlinegroup.co.uk/jacksonbrothers/

73's

Aub G4KQL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015