The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:36:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ribbon Microphones help needed  (Read 14360 times)
KQ6F

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 11:16:02 AM »

The manufacturer is probably concerned that with the secondary elevated to 48v there might be a secondary-to-primary insulation breakdown.  This seems very unlikely to me.

I have two ribbon mics (MXL R144 HE and Cascade Victor).  They are both plugged into a multi channel mixer along with a couple of condenser mics.  The condenser mics require phantom voltage so I have it turned on.  That means the ribbon mics are getting it too.  I've been operating this way for months with no problems...
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2017, 03:26:01 PM »

I have two ribbon mics (MXL R144 HE and Cascade Victor).  They are both plugged into a multi channel mixer along with a couple of condenser mics.  The condenser mics require phantom voltage so I have it turned on.  That means the ribbon mics are getting it too.  I've been operating this way for months with no problems...

Very interesting about the 48 volts live at all times! What kind of reports do you receive in regards of one microphone sound compared to the other?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KQ6F

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2017, 05:33:25 PM »

Generally the ribbon mics sound a little smoother - provided they are EQed properly.  The condenser mics tend to be more sensitive and brighter sounding.  Actually I have different EQ profiles stored so that they all tend to sound the same.  Most people I talk to can't tell the difference.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 08:01:52 AM »

Generally the ribbon mics sound a little smoother - provided they are EQed properly. 

Just curious what your general EQ recipe is? Cutting from 100-300, ~ -3 to -5 db?
KQ6F

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 11:49:31 AM »

I hooked the scope up to the Symetrix preamp and measured the EQ curve for the ribbon mic.  The numbers are a bit more extreme than I thought.  Lows are cut -3.9dB @ 130Hz and highs are boosted a whopping +14.6dB @ 4.8kHz.  The boost curve gradually starts rising at about 1.5kHz.

Of course these numbers don't mean much.  It's all subjective - what I like might sound lousy to you.  Also other factors play a part - individual voices, transmitter response, etc.  I set my stuff up by listening and recording on a nearby SDR then playing it back.  Adjusting in real time while listening to myself didn't work well - at least not for me.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2017, 12:58:54 PM »

It's a good  starting point
Thanks
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 03:49:56 PM »

They are both plugged into a multi channel mixer along with a couple of condenser mics.

Please let me know the brand and model number of your mixer?

In addition, There is a net out there in 6 land that I believe is on Ustream about one night per week where many operators join in and can be seen on video. I lost the link to that and perhaps you are part of that net or know where to find it?

I don't think there is anything like it elsewhere on the net?

KQ6F

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 06:04:23 PM »

The mixer is a Behringer Eurorack MX 802A.  They don't make it anymore, but I'm sure it's been superseded by something equivalent or better.

You may be thinking of the AMI-West net.    http://www.ami-west.com http://  It's primarily a southern CA net that meets Wed. evenings.  Some of the guys get on tinychat showing videos of themselves and their shacks. 
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2017, 08:30:55 PM »

Well sadly, that service that did the streaming shut down after 7 years of service. No reason given? It was call Stickam.

Here's their sign off.

http://www.stickam.com

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2017, 09:01:15 PM »

Stickam is the past.  Tiny chat, and I believe a few of the other regulars use even more of the chat programs.

I used to pay attention to it, but with the Sedona and California sdr receivers, you can pretty much stay in contact with the roundtable and everyone in it.

--Shane
KD6VXI
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2017, 09:29:42 PM »

I picked up one of these bad boys to use with my ribbon mic. It works great and utilises the phantom 48 volt supply and is designed for dynamic or ribbon microphones.

It provides 19-25 db of gain and no RF gets into it and after a completely different EQ, the reports that I have received have been positive. So this may be something to be considered if your preamp doesn't have enough gain to work with the above types of microphones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282466211241?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2661

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015