The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:09:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux Tutorial  (Read 4770 times)
ab3al

« on: March 25, 2017, 10:50:20 PM »

Hey guys thought i would throw this out and see if anyone has any interest

Years ago i started collecting studio rack gear.  Lots of it.  I love messing around with recording.  some of this gear made is way to the shack.  I think i own everthing that symetrix made. 

fast forward.  I am a linux Guru.  enough so that i started a small IT firm.  I do all of my recording "hobby" work on linux.  I Still have my collection of rack gear but have started working IN THE BOX using audio plugins.  all on linux all free

The question is  would any one be interested in a write up or article on using Cheap  computers and free software for a complete audio chain.  As an example  i have been experimenting with a $35 rasberry pi computer running a multiband compressor limiter eq and exciter in the shack.  total equipment cost of about 150$

If there is any interest i will do a write up and possibly include youtube Videos ...

let me know  either here or service@tcamllc.com
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 11:30:55 PM »

That sounds very interesting.   Yes, I would love more information.  Whether it runs on the PI or Intel/AMD with Linux, I am prepared to learn more about both.

I have done quite a bit of live recording using Mackie and Behringer mixers, up t 32 channels, originally to DAT, but then moved to a Fostex 24 channel HD recorder, so I could mix after the recording session was completed.  Usually live performances, so only one time to capture the track.  The only processing gear I have is the Behringer VX-2000 voice processor, and the processing in the 32 channel Behringer board.

So having more processing capability in software sounds very intriguing.  YouTube is fine, but a text overview with some links to some of the cool tools would be very welcome.  Thanks!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
ab3al

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 01:24:22 AM »

the tutorial would revolve mainly around in the box mixing.  no outboard gear would be needed but i would recomment a usb sound box.  either a line6 cheapy or a presonus all under 100 buck. 

Linux does not use ASIO drivers.  It uses Jack.  this allows you to connect the audio input and outputs of any program to any other and sound cards.  Imagine a hardware patchbay allowing unlimited inputs  and outputs to each rack unit without sound degredation

there are a lot of tutorials out there for music on linux but none for hams

Anything specific that anyone wants me to cover
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 11:42:53 AM »

I for one would be very interested in such a tutorial.  Up to his point, all my audio stuff has been done with hardware and time is moving along!   

Thanks for offering to do this.

Joe-W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 01:43:09 PM »

This is what I've advocated for years.

I run Reaper (free for personal use) along with a plethora of vst plug ins.

If you want to pay to play, Izotope Nectar has plug-ins dedicated to broadcast and studio sound.  It's designed for broadcast, podcast and voice over work.

I back that up with a BBE Sonic Maximizer as well.

--Shane
KD6VXI
ab3al

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 10:44:45 PM »

Ok guys.  Ill start puttin something together.  I have used reaper also.  Its not really free its $60 for personal use and $250 for pro use.  actually the cutoff is something like if you make more than 25k a year with it you need to buy the pro. version.  I would recommend if you are using reaper just to host your VST  on windows look up the project http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/   Fillepe has created a great vst host that works on mac windows and linux that works a bit better than reaper.  You can save your audio chain and setting as a file.  and just double click it to open up each time. 

The point of what i will be doing is to one introduce some folks to linux. and the open source free way of doing things.  also the focus will be on cheap hardware.  Ill start with pc and the next tutorial will be rasberry pie based.  so round one if you start from scratch will cost around 350 in hardware and round 2 will require you to roll up your sleeves a litlle more to get working but could be done for around $150 all new equipment less for used.

Once the tutorials get to the Pi computer state i will probably offer pre imaged flash drives for it  for sale.  cost of drive plus flat rate media mail rate. as this can be the tricky part for some one not familiar with linux
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 11:58:38 PM »

The reaper isn't free for personal use garbage is like ham radio deluxe.

It USED to be.  And because of that, I keep an old copy.  My EULA states, free for personal use.  BUT, I agree with you.

On the subject of the pi.  I killed off a pentium IV machine I'd used to stream HDMI to the TV, and serve my collection of thousands of media files, by going to a 15 Watt pi. That, alone, lopped about 20 bucks off my electric bill.  The pi is powered off the USB port on the router.

What vst wrapper are you using on the pi? I'd LOVE to kill the shack pc, ad all it does is serve as reaper machine and web browsing.

Can't wait!

--Shane
KD6VXI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015