The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:52:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Knightkit V44 VFO Output  (Read 1458 times)
w9bea

« on: March 24, 2017, 02:09:02 PM »

Good Afternoon All:

I was wondering what I should expect as far as RF frequency output and amplitude out of a Knightkit V-44 VFO?

The manual does not tell me specifically what the fundemental RF output is; just rather tells me that it cover 80-10, and that the output is more than enough to excite the oscillator in a transmitter.  OK.

I am aware that it multiplies upwards depending on the intended xmit frequency via harmonics. 

Just got done "rekitting" a basket case VFO, am about put it o the shelf and go to work on a soon to match transmitter.... Just want to make sure that the frequency output spec and RF level out is correct for this Clapp type Oscillator/Buffer.

Appreciate the insight.

73--Wally W9BEA

Wally Klinger W9BEA
Wklinn@hotmail.com
-or-
w9bea@arrl.net
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 05:22:55 PM »

Wally,

The VFO is always running on 160m, and the buffer stage acts somewhat as a doubler. The RF output coils resonance is dependent on the VFO load capacitance, and cable (much like the Johnson 122). On a scope, open circuit is a complex waveform full of harmonics; it is not a sine wave. As I recall, the amplitude is upward of 100v P-P when connecting a 10X scope probe to the crystal plug pins.

It is worth repeating, the VFO is always on 160m, and the output has a strong 80m output (rich in harmonics), no matter if the VFO knob is on the 80m, or 40-10m position. Getting on 10m with this VFO means 16X frequency multiplication. I also believe that the two output coils in the back are identical.

Jim
Wd5JKO

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015