The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:17:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APRIL 1-2, 2017 THE AM RALLY aka "Behind the AM Button"  (Read 8586 times)
N1BCG

« on: March 24, 2017, 01:39:06 PM »

Now that we're 1 week out, it seemed like a good time to post a reminder to get ready.

Most readers of this forum are quite experienced with AM, so your participation will be particularly welcomed as (hopefully) throngs of AM newcomers try out the mode for the first time. For others, lots of helpful information about modern rig settings on the AM Rally website at www.amrally.com

There will likely be LOTS of misadjusted mic and carrier levels, so some guidance on our part will help make a great first impression of the mode.

Logging will also be important as having documentation of the event will show the ARRL that AM is growing in popularity, supporting The League's recent embrace of the mode. See www.amrally.com for details.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 02:23:55 PM »

Wasn't this originally set up to run in the second weekend in April or do I need to see the eye doctor again?  With it now the first weekend, it screws up plans I had for participating. RATS Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed   6:47 PM  I think I am confused about the KD0HG one that already went by?

So now as I enter the age of confusion, constantly drooling on myself  & asking the same questions repeatedly, it's time  I invest in a new appointment calendar that I write things in because for all it's wonders, my computer hates me!

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 05:11:20 PM »

Its next weekend ?? Well, at least some special people have special callsigns.

KLC

What? Me worry?
Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 09:00:08 PM »

You got to go on the AM RALLY web site, someone went to a lot of work and it was worth it.

John W9BFO
N1BCG

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 10:50:19 PM »

The ARRL did some nice write ups about the AM Rally:

http://www.arrl.org/news/am-rally-set-for-april-1-3-no-fooling

http://www.arrl.org/news/view/am-rally-on-april-1-3-weekend-an-opportunity-to-try-a-vintage-mode
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 12:10:05 AM »

I dislike calling the AM mode a "vintage mode". If it was so "vintage" why is it on all current amateur radio rigs today. Boatanchor rigs can be considered "old", "vintage", "antique", etc. but the AM mode is still used in a lot of services today. "AM" is a mode that is just used less frequently then some other modes.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KA2DZT

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 01:00:14 AM »

Vintage is probably the wrong word to use.  Maybe saying it is the original or first phone mode that was used,  everything else came after.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 10:58:07 AM »

MidCentury is more correct!
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 12:15:27 PM »

Or oldest/original/etc.

I'm just pleased and impressed that we're seeing such an event from the ARRL. Who ever thought we'd live long enough to see the cronyism washed away and more open, common sense thinking take over?

Hope to work or at least hear some of you on Saturday. 40m was pretty blah this morning, must've been some kind of flare? Here's hoping the weekend is much better.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
N1BCG

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 12:17:33 PM »

How about "heritage"?
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 02:30:08 PM »

Or Foundational

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 04:11:47 PM »

That's a good choice, Steve. Especially when you consider that SSB is basically AM Lite: an AM signal with one sideband filtered and carrier suppressed. AM is the foundation of many(most) fone transmissions.

I like it.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 09:16:32 PM »

Why does "AM" even need an adjective? Sort of like calling some people "special". It's a mode that has just gained more popularity over the last 25 years with amateur radio operators and manufacturers. Let's not treat it as "special" or "vintage", or any other adjective. There's no reason too unless there's some subset of amateur radio operators who require or perceive some sort of AM mode operating validation or acceptance from their peers.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 09:35:48 PM »

I'm just pleased and impressed that we're seeing such an event from the ARRL. Who ever thought we'd live long enough to see the cronyism washed away and more open, common sense thinking take over?

It's not clear to me what the ARRL's participation is in this event. They obviously don't view it as a contest since its not listed in their contest calendar nor the non-ARRL contest calendar.

Maybe it's just a blurb on their web site. But, it's not the first AM event that they posted about. Back in 2006 they posted a blurb for the Heavy Metal Rally and in 2011 they posted a blurb on the AM Transmitter Rally. And, I believe, way back in 20th century, they posted a blurb about some AM Field Day activity.

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 09:41:13 PM »

Though it's not a contest, a blurb to contesting.com may get it listed on their calendar as well.

I know a few of the members here frequent amps, towertalk and others. 

I'd offer to do it, but I'm not a member of any lists there and dunno who manages the calendar.

I'll be out there, Kenwood willing, on my 600 amp power supply (to qualify as heavy metal lol).

--Shane
KD6VXI
N1BCG

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 10:37:19 PM »

It's not clear to me what the ARRL's participation is in this event. They obviously don't view it as a contest since its not listed in their contest calendar nor the non-ARRL contest calendar.

The ARRL is a solid supporter of the AM Rally because of its educational and inclusive components. The AM Rally isn't an ARRL event because The League isn't handling the logging, which sounds like a technicality, but in the end it wasn't wasn't considered a necessity. Still, they've provided quite a bit of promotion including a QST article and two online write-ups:

http://www.arrl.org/news/am-rally-set-for-april-1-3-no-fooling

http://www.arrl.org/news/am-rally-on-april-1-3-weekend-an-opportunity-to-try-a-vintage-mode

Btw, I just finished an interview on Ham Nation with Bob Heil and Tom Gallagher (ARRL CEO). We discussed the AM Rally of course, but I was surprised to hear about the Gates BC1-T b'cast transmitter getting restored for use in Newington and the addition of a FET based Class D AM transmitter that might be put on the air soon as part of W1AW.

Quite a few interesting things going on at the ARRL it seems...
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 11:27:00 PM »

Btw, I just finished an interview on Ham Nation with Bob Heil and Tom Gallagher (ARRL CEO). We discussed the AM Rally of course, but I was surprised to hear about the Gates BC1-T b'cast transmitter getting restored for use in Newington and the addition of a FET based Class D AM transmitter that might be put on the air soon as part of W1AW.

A Gates BC transmitter at W1AW? Amazing.  It really highlights what a YUGE difference a single man can make in fresh leadership - in changing of the old, crusty guard. You can bet your sneakers that Tom Gallagher was instrumental. (Like draining the ARRL swamp)   :-)

Does anyone have his ARRL email adr?  I'd like to send him a message to let him know we appreciate his support of AM. If everyone on this BB did it too, it would fill his inbox with positive tones - and make quite an impression...

Good show doing the ARRL interview, Clark!

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 03:00:58 AM »

Quite a few interesting things going on at the ARRL it seems...

The Gates was also mentioned on Ham Nation back in December 2016. Word has it that they are going to try and put it on 7290 for the ARRL bulletins.

If one wanted to increase the ARRL's AM mode exposure, some updates to the ARRL AM web page might be in order:  http://www.arrl.org/amplitude-modulation

While the present CEO may have a love for AM, just like the previous CEO had a great love for CW, the CEO has to play a balancing act with all amateur radio interests and activities. Personal interests can only go so far in running an organization.

W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 05:26:24 PM »

Folks:

I will be spending some time on 75M for this event this weekend. I treat AM as not only a vintage mode where we can operate rigs of yesteryear, but also a cutting-edge mode with Class D and E, SDR, digital processing digital correction. I enjoy both ends of the spectrum.

As you operate please consider:

1. Let the weak stations in. Let them talk.
2. Assist them in a patient and kind manner.
3. Do not worry that their SSB-rig's audio is restricted (i.e. not Hi-Fi).
3. No cursing or negative language.
4. Encourage them to further their efforts in AM.
5. Tell them your story of why you like this mode.

Offer your contact info for further Elmering later.

Thanks and see you on the trapezoid!

Dan
W1DAN

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 08:38:33 AM »

I noticed there is no category for modified commercial transmitters??
As opposed to stock...
...should there be?

SO, the "exchange" might be something like this?

"WB2GCR A4 NY ur 5/9"

??

(and then talk for 20 minutes... it is AM, ya old buzzard you!) Cheesy

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 10:44:16 AM »

Why does "AM" even need an adjective? Sort of like calling some people "special".

Well, you're right of course, Pete. Reminds me of an AMer who insisted on calling it a "Legacy" mode our "Specialty" mode, apparently in some attempt to feel elevated above all others.

I'd agree with zero adjectives as well, but if they want to use one to accentuate AM's original impact on forming fone transmissions for the amateur community, Foundational is at least more accurate or to the point. Not special or vintage, but certainly the cornerstone that voice communications were built on. A bit of a history lesson for newbies, if you will.

While the present CEO may have a love for AM, just like the previous CEO had a great love for CW, the CEO has to play a balancing act with all amateur radio interests and activities. Personal interests can only go so far in running an organization.

This is true too, as the ARRL's approach for the last few decades has more than proven. I hope they have indeed learned something from the tunnel vision approach. My impression from what I've read and heard about the "new guy" is that he enjoys multiple modes including AM. Not that he's a diehard AM-only type, more that he just has a more open, common sense approach to accepting and promoting all modes that make up the Amateur Radio Service - rather than favoring just one while dismissing others. It's that dismissive, condescending attitude I got in the past from Frenaye and others that caused me to drop my membership indefinitely back in the early 90s after two attempts. I wasn't alone. Let's hope the good trends continue and member ship swells well beyond its usual 20% or whatever it's been.

I plan to put in some time tonight on 40m with the low power station. No idea what to expect for activity or coverage at that time of day(night) from here. Hope to work many of you over the next couple days. I would add to what Dan has said by saying that while we should be friendly, inviting, and helpful to those new to the mode, we needn't be stuffy or prudish. Part of the attraction to AM for many of us years ago was hearing very human voices having very human fun on the air. Being able to get our feet wet without the fear of (figuratively) getting our fingers smacked with a ruler was a big plus. Remember, we all had to start somewhere.

WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 02:20:40 PM »

I am house sitting in Ashford, CT this weekend and only have a 6M and 2M antenna setup. I will be monitoring 50.4. The rf garbage noise out there is incredibly low. I can copy am signals just fine that don't even register on the S-meter.  I am so spoiled that I may not bother getting on 6 from home in East Hartford anymore!

Larry
N1BCG

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 02:30:51 PM »

I am house sitting in Ashford, CT this weekend and only have a 6M and 2M antenna setup. I will be monitoring 50.4.

If you want to try to pull off the incredible, rumor has it that W6FYK in California will be on 50.4 as well for this event!
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 08:42:14 PM »

Lots of activity right now, 3730, 3750, 3837, 3873, 3880, 3885 all have QSOs right now, there was some on 3740 too but they seem to have disappeared.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 09:06:08 PM »

Quite a few on 40m as well between 7.280-95, but the band is really crappy right now. A lot of QSB, some BC carriers fading in and out. I'm off to hit the shower then planning to be on 40 giving it a go maybe closer to 9:45-10. WA2PJP will be giving it a go as well.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015