The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:14:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting closer...  (Read 12575 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 12:53:23 PM »

Success. Gave the wife and daughter a goodbye hug & kiss and sent them on their way clothes shopping a bit after 10 this morning, then headed to 40m after the Heathkit Injuns had some time to warm up. Starting around 10:20 on 7.290 I worked K1NR, KB2OUA, KE1FT, N1ICX, W2BNY, WB3FAU, and finished up just after noon with Pete/N1HCE near Boston. Took a break to recycle coffee and print more log sheets.

The band was in pretty decent shape - some QSB and a couple of drop outs, but overall pretty stable for 40 meters. To get nearly 2 hours out of one frequency without a total crap out (conditions or equipment) felt pretty good. Definitely good to be active again.

So where is everyone??   Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 07:37:54 PM »

" So where is everyone??   Grin  "

Maybe the  carpetbaggers ran them off.

klc

What? Me worry?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2017, 10:25:50 AM »

Didn't hear any corntesters until later in the afternoon/evening when I was out sawing off some shelving. And then I only heard a couple.

Did go back out in the mid afternoon and caught up with Russ again, also worked Clark N1BCG. Had a good chat about the upcoming ARRL AM Rally before talking myself out of band conditions. Clark: on the last go 'round everyone just vanished, typical 40m stuff.

Hi Todd.... looking good! I've got one of those amps upstairs too, but I've never had it on the air. I think I have two of the RX/TX stations. The one thing I DONT like is the pinch roller drive on the main tuning.  With the general robustness of the rest of the rig, this seems like a big afterthought.

Hope to see you @ one of the local fests this yr....we can compare age spots.

Hey John! Not sure how I missed this before. Yes, the pinch rollers and the tuning rack is a bit less stout as well, though not horrible. Just different.

Probably won't see you at Raleigh or such this year as we now reside in northern VA. Not sure if you travel to the Manassas 'fest or others up this way. Certainly enjoyed the Raleigh 'fest along with the Friday night feed, wouldn't mind doing that again soon. If we work at it, maybe we can have some denture stories as well!

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2017, 10:14:23 AM »

Heard N1BCG turning it over to Todd, but no copy. Guess we're too close for the prevailing conditions on 40 meters.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2017, 12:22:14 PM »

VJB came in very loud here from 10:00 am EDT to 10:30 or so this morning on 75 but he didn't come back to me. His Collins 300D sounded quite strapesscent.  40 meters has been real iffy this morn. too. W1AW, "Bob,"  on about 7290 is working the guys with a 250 watts from a DYY rig.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2017, 12:46:43 PM »

Just worked Bob. The band has been really crappy since last night here, a lot of rapid QSB. All at once it's as if someone threw a switch and everything settled down.

Steve, we used to work on 40 when I was in NC roughly the same distance, didn't we? Just need to figure out the band timing.

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2017, 03:24:34 PM »

The 40 meter band was quite good in the early afternoon. Hearing stations at much shorter distances than in recent times. Even heard Todd, at S9+20! He's less than 100 miles from my location. Still, stations 300-400 miles out were booming in too. Quite FB.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2017, 03:43:15 PM »

Yes, finally! Looks like 2-3PM is the sweet spot for local stuff. Was hearing both you and Paul/ORC great. You must be closer to him than to me, as well? You picked the perfect time to sign as your signal declined rapidly to where I couldn't hear you anymore. I knew the band was changing when the northern stations faded out.

Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2017, 04:21:11 PM »

Good to talk to you on 40, Todd.  I think the last time we talked may have been at the Rochester Hamfest 2004 or 2005, but my memory could be playing tricks on me.  Steve HX was strapping; he's a bit closer to Va. Beach than to Manassas, I believe.

The Ithaca station, Janis, AB2RA was quite strong here.  But the QSB was pronounced with Timmy up and down to the point sometimes he disappeared into the noise, which is unusual for his signal here (unless he's using the shaded dipole).

Lots of heterodynes and people tuning up on top of QSOs, but it was nice to hear so much AM activity.  I tuned around 20 meters earlier because the propagation forecast was favorable, but I heard no AM activity.

Go Duke![/b]
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2017, 06:07:02 PM »

VA Beach is only 60 miles from my place. Manassas is at least 100.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015