The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:09:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WRFI Job  (Read 5680 times)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« on: March 20, 2017, 04:56:03 PM »

Its radio related .... ..

Hiring: WRFI Program Director; Apply by March 24, 2017 (Ithaca, NY)

https://ithaca.craigslist.org/npo/6038496096.html

I just love the call sign.

KLC

and they've got a k9eid mic

What? Me worry?
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 05:09:24 PM »

Yep.

A broad ranging search. </sarcasm>

Must apply within a few days, and we're scouring craigslist for applicants with expertise?
Don't forget: "... and the ability to learn and adapt to practices and platforms."
Really?
Practices?
This teeny tiny FM has "practices"??
Like what? <insert lewd expletive deleted descriptions>

For a minimum wage 10-12 hour part-timer too?

Betch they've got some really 'top-of-the-food-chain' creative programming going on there...
... and some crackerjack HR type to write that "job description".

Why do I think this is a college/university funded thing? Or some other larger org...

Excuse me, I have to go and throw up.

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:31:27 PM »

Boot or not yet listed?

WRFI Doesn't seem to exist here or on AM or TV listings.

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?call=&arn=&state=NY&city=Ithaca&freq=0.0&fre2=107.9&serv=&vac=&facid=&asrn=&class=&list=0&dist=&dlat2=&mlat2=&slat2=&NS=N&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&EW=W&size=9&NextTab=Results+to+Next+Page%2FTab

But does exist here and on google maps.  Wink  --community radio , maybe one of those 50 watters.

https://wrfi.org

I'll try it's sister station in Watkins Glen. Neat little town with hanging falls and once upon a time downtown formula car races. New track is up on west hill out of town.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KA3EKH

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 09:01:33 PM »

Don’t know if I ever posted this link before but it is exactly what the radio business is.

http://www.krud.com/

I still do engineering for a hand full of stations although I have a real job outside of radio, any time I tell people what working in radio is like they don’t believe me but this web site gives a good picture, especially the station policies. Think at on time or another I worked for properties that had this same list.

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 05:32:33 PM »

I guess they can't be all bad after all, they are using a Heil microphone Grin Grin Perhaps Bob is making inroads to the BC industries?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 07:35:58 PM »

Yep.

A broad ranging search. </sarcasm>

Must apply within a few days, and we're scouring craigslist for applicants with expertise?
Don't forget: "... and the ability to learn and adapt to practices and platforms."
Really?
Practices?
This teeny tiny FM has "practices"??
Like what? <insert lewd expletive deleted descriptions>

WKRP in Cincinatti episode concerning 'dungarees' and the fear of certain 'activities' in the halls.

I'd love to go to work as an engineer at a radio station but:
  • got to make a living
  • no way I would move unless it was turn key paid.
    • Would not move to NY.
    • in doubt as to whether radio station engineers get any respect -that may be in the past.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 07:26:48 PM »

Don’t know if I ever posted this link before but it is exactly what the radio business is.

http://www.krud.com/

A bit late,  but,   Ray,   thanks for posting that Link.   Very funny,  if not a bit cynical.

Thanks again,   Vic
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 08:22:07 PM »

Patrick,

This station is in a rural upstate town... small.

And for enough money...?

But it's a joke, since they are more than 3/4 programming from satellite, and this in a college town.

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KA3EKH

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 11:01:27 AM »

If, and the key word is if you wanted to be in broadcasting all you have to do is get involved. Sounds simple but the truth is there are tons of opportunities to get into radio out there. There is a national shortage of Broadcast engineers, I am in my late fifties and my associate who I often work with is in his late sixties. No schools are teaching electronics anymore and young people are all encouraged to just concentrate on networking and servers, so there is a real shortage of qualified analog engineers. FM Broadcasting is not that bad considering everything is solid state and modular and FM broadcasting requires little skill apart from build new installations or large scale replacement of existing plants. AM Broadcasting is a little more demanding being your often working with complex antenna patterns and by the nature of AM itself being low frequency its large components. But with the level of experience and understanding that the AM Boat anchor Ham makes the transition to broadcasting is no big deal. I have brought a couple Hams into the field along with several students from the university that are all working in television today. One of my former students is a director of engineering for Sinclair (FOX).
All that being said this is the down side. First almost all radio stations no longer have full time engineers. The state of the art is such that one engineer can work for several stations at the same time so the days of full time employment for a signal station are almost all gone. Second ninety percent of everything a modern broadcast engineer will do involves an understanding of automation systems and networking. Without a strong computer and network background your limited to just RF work. Third and this is the big one, there is no money in radio! All broadcasting is in trouble, too many stations, not enough listeners and compotation from the internet makes these dark days for local broadcasters.
The up side of this is that because no one has any money many of the small broadcast groups are in need of part time or pay by the job people and you will often find that in many markets the person who is doing the engineering is little more than an IT tech and would welcome the opportunity for someone with a RF background to help out. AM stations are still required to check there patterns on a regular basis and need someone to go out to monitoring points and take field readings and there is always work that needs to be done at the transmitter sites like cleaning out all the old junk and running the generators every now and then. Big advantage if you can do some level of generator maintenance like oil changes and battery replacement too.  almost all AM and FM broadcast transmitters in service today are solid state and modular in construction so very little work is done on them beyond sending sub-assemblies back to the manufacturer but most of the older backup stuff is still hollow state and sometimes tube.
With San Antonio and Austin close by imagine there are lots of stations around that would be looking for a hand, just don’t expect to get rich and keep away from religious broadcasters because no one will screw you over faster than a religious broadcaster.

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 12:08:20 PM »

Boot or not yet listed?

WRFI Doesn't seem to exist here or on AM or TV listings.

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?call=&arn=&state=NY&city=Ithaca&freq=0.0&fre2=107.9&serv=&vac=&facid=&asrn=&class=&list=0&dist=&dlat2=&mlat2=&slat2=&NS=N&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&EW=W&size=9&NextTab=Results+to+Next+Page%2FTab

But does exist here and on google maps.  Wink  --community radio , maybe one of those 50 watters.

https://wrfi.org

I'll try it's sister station in Watkins Glen. Neat little town with hanging falls and once upon a time downtown formula car races. New track is up on west hill out of town.

Hats off to the FECES for authorizing this new service of LPFM. Still the restrictive avenues of process to get a station on the air. But, within reach of more voices on the air. 100 watts and 50-80 feet elevation is fairly serious coverage. Hills will kill your signal. The LPFM in my town is competing with an FM 60 mi away on the same freq. This summer we plan to move the transmitter site closer to the edge of the major hill shadowing our signal into town. RF contour software indicates we'll get into town a lot better.
The transmitter has everything in one box. Processor, stereo generator. Stereo separation is out of this world. Audio quality is so close to typical commercial FM audio. $3000. BW Broadcast unit..

Fred KC4MOP
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 12:26:02 PM »

keep away from religious broadcasters because no one will screw you over faster than a religious broadcaster.

Just curious about this as I have no experience working for religious organizations.
don't pay their invoices?
try to confiscate 10% as a tithe?
want free work?
demand the engineer change religions?
the place is a whited sepulchre?

KA3EKH

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 09:58:50 AM »

Don’t know why, but in thirty years of doing consulting work it’s always been the same song and dance when it comes to religious broadcasters, at least the small ones. The first job you do for them its payment in full upon completion of the work. The second job you get paid within thirty to sixty days and the third job you never see your money. You got to chase after them and there is always some story about being short, can we do it for less or something along those lines.
Do have to say that I have done several jobs for K-Love and they did pay without issues so maybe they are the exception. Like I said, no money in radio. Years ago had this 5 Kw AM station in Delaware WKEN and amongst other things they needed a new set of tubes for their transmitter. They told me that they ordered them and they would be there the next day. Went to the station and when I got their no cars where in the parking lot and all the lights were off. Went inside and they told me that they  wanted to make it look like there was no one there and maybe the delivery driver will leave the tubes outside and then they would be able to say they never received them. That did not work for them because Econco sent the tubes COD. This is the same place where one time went in and saw the GM had a fish tank in his office. I asked him about it and he said that the fish were good for stress. The next time I went there about a week later the fish tank was empty and all stuffed into a corner of the office and I asked what happened to the fish. Oh, they all died. Too much stress. That was one of those stations that when you got a check from them you had to go to the bank right away because if you waited to Friday when they did payroll it would bounce.
Most of the colorful signal owner stations disappeared in the nineties when there was a radio buying orgy by the two or three big companies. I still work for one today and have not had a bounced check in years.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 08:24:59 PM »

Years ago had this 5 Kw AM station.

Went to the station and when I got their no cars where in the parking lot and all the lights were off. Went inside and they told me that they  wanted to make it look like there was no one there and maybe the delivery driver will leave the tubes outside and then they would be able to say they never received them.

Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Huh   Roll Eyes

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015