The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:14:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dayton Hamvention  (Read 5147 times)
Detroit47

« on: March 14, 2017, 11:53:17 AM »

I have been trying to get some sort of response out of the flea market committee at Dayton. What a joke. They sent out this Email telling us that there was going to be a  Flea Market reservation assistant. After several phone calls and emails no response. I can see this is going to be a disaster. I am attaching the email for all to enjoy. it looks like another swap is gonna die.

John N8QPC

* flea mkt.pdf (20.05 KB - downloaded 206 times.)
KA3EKH

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 01:22:42 PM »

I thought I was the only one they were ignoring! I asked for 7404 or 7432 being those were a couple of my favorite TTL devices. Wonder if anyone has asked for 7160 yet? Too bad they don’t have a 7290 or 3885
Last year was lots of fun, maybe it was the end of an era? At least will save a lot of money not driving all the way out there and back each year. But have to give this year a try. Anyone else remember the first couple Gaithersburg Hamfest that were at the baseball stadium? Think the first was ok, the second a dog and maybe by the third or fourth year they went back to the fairgrounds but by then it was all over. The gay rodeo was an odd distraction though.

K4NYW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 02:24:47 PM »

Don't give up hope. Monday a buddy actually got a reply and was assigned a space! So it is possible there will be a flea market.

Detroit47

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 03:02:12 PM »

I finally got a reply yesterday all is well spaces 7746. 7747. The Chairman himself was manning the phones, He said that he has over 500 more emails to answer. he also said that they expect to sell out the flea market.

John N8QPC
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 07:16:39 PM »

In 2016 at HARA, there were 2211 spaces available. On opening day 280 were still available.

For 2017, there are 1294 spaces available. That's a short fall of 917 spaces. Even if you subtract out that none of those 280 spaces were ever used in 2016, that's still 637 less spaces for 2017 for vendors.

That's quite a reduction in presently defined spaces.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KA3EKH

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 11:05:23 AM »

Got my two spaces at Dayton last week, 7839 and 7939 I get two spaces back to back so I can pull the truck in and sell out the back of the truck. If I get just one space the truck fills the entire space and that’s an issue. The person who schedules the flea market spaces is a volunteer with a real day time job so calls and emails are answered outside of regular business hours. It turns out its best to call at night. They tell me as of last week the majority of vendor spaces on the circle around the track are sold and about half the interior spaces are full. They are also making a real effort to keep people from buying spaces in the vendor section for just parking their cars. I also asked and it is indeed all grass, no gravel or hardtop like what was at one time a parking lot back at Hara.
Have to admit that I am going to miss the pot hole tank track that somehow passed for a road into the sales section, but no way am I going to miss the third rate flea bag hotels that charged a huge rate for their substandard rooms just during the Hamvention out on I-75, but then again I have been staying over by Wright State on I-675 and although the hotels there are just as expensive they are proper hotels and not the dumps that are clustered on I-75 by Hara. There is just something that galls me to no end knowing that I spend more money on the hotel then on radio junk, Hamvention spaces, gas or food. One year I stayed at the hotel that the Collins collectors stay at and that was the most expensive of all, but entertainment was provided by watching the Collins group get together and worshiping the great Collins.

Ray F/KA3EKH
Detroit47

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 01:33:46 PM »

I thought I would share this with folks setting up in the flea market. Since we will be setting  up on grass and there is always the chance of a Typhoon. I am passing along a little trick we used in boy scouts to hold down tents in windy conditions. This is good especially in sandy soil where tent stakes pull out.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pet-Champion-Steel-18-in-Medium-Spiral-Stake-Dogs/20369862

John N8QPC
KA3EKH

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 02:15:19 PM »

Hope it dont end up like this.

* MudBog12-9282_thumb.jpg (90.73 KB, 504x337 - viewed 346 times.)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 02:45:07 PM »

Hope it dont end up like this.

Maybe not as bad but....
I remember back around 1990 when I was just a customer, there was Hamvention parking down the street from HARA. As you drove up from Route 48, it was on the right just before the entrance for the flea market cars to enter. I think it's part of the golf course now. Thursday night into Friday morning it rained heavy. I guess drainage wasn't great there so the greater part of the parking area turned into a huge mud bowl. Cars got stuck; I remember one guy broke something under his pickup truck trying to get in or out and was underneath it trying to get it fixed. I wore work shoes and by the time I got to the flea market my shoes were covered completely in wet mud and so was my pants to just above my ankles.  Cheesy

I remember years ago attending a small hamfest in North Jersey in early April. It rained the night before and through the night the temps dropped below freezing and the ground froze. As the vendors came in, they parked them on the seemingly solid grassy ground which was still frozen. By 9 AM, temps rose above freezing, the entire grassy area became soft and wet. My table legs sank about a foot in the wet ground. I had to rip up the majority of all my boxes and lay them on the ground in front of the tables so customers wouldn't sink into the mud. The vendor next to me had a bunch of heavy military equipment on the back end of his pickup truck and his wheels sank about a foot into the ground. That was a very fun morning but I did get a great looking Heathkit Mohawk receiver at a great price.  Grin

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 06:43:33 PM »

Last night on 75? an op was talking of being at the "new" "Dayton" grounds this week. He mentioned high pressure hosing down of a swine barn, and talking with the workers. They seemed to say that they were not sure if things would be ready by May.

A swine barn. Watt could be nicer?

klc

What? Me worry?
Detroit47

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 07:23:52 PM »

A swine barn. Watt could be nicer?

klc

Where else would you keep a Ham?
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 02:46:34 PM »