The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:52:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: afternoon on 40 meters  (Read 5217 times)
n1exi

« on: March 07, 2017, 02:59:18 PM »

at this time cannot xmit but nothing wrong with my ears - timmy and steve in qso walking down memory lane with great sigs here in snj - just saying hello and btw tim ant 2 better here!
greg n1exi

Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 03:32:23 PM »

I talked to Tim and Glenn, WA3GPE (Altoona, PA) yesterday afternoon on 7290 using the SB-1400 with its strapping 25w of AM into my 40m dipole.  

For awhile I was 5-10 over at Glenn's and his signal was similar here.  For the most part the path between Virgina Beach and Skowtown held up well with Tim's stacked dipoles gpresenting an appreciably stronger signal than the shaded dipole. The shorter path between here and Altoona didn't hold up as well and Glenn would sometimes disappear into the S7 noise.

This afternoon, around 1:15 ET, I listened to Tim and Steve for awhile. Both 5-10 over on the dipole although once again the noise level here was S7 on the SB-1400 and the FRG-100.

Go Duke![/b]
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 11:08:00 PM »

Ya never know who is listening. That was a FB QSO with Timmy. Russ, WB3FAU was in there for a while too. The band was dead quiet and Timmy was 5/9+20. A good chat about Hosstraders, etc.

Went down the band later and called CQ on slop bucket. A VK comes back on long path! Ended up working a bunch of Euros too and an A41 (Oman). All in all, a pretty good afternoon of radio.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 09:50:42 AM »

Good to hear the band is in good shape and y'all are havin' fun!

I spent the afternoon wiring and then firing up a 52KW system!!!!

(too bad it was -48VDC...... no RFs)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 11:00:53 AM »

Maybe the recent solar storm flushed out the band so it's nice 'n clean. I'll try to fire up the station after lunchtime today. You guys are just having way too much fun.

Was looking at the log sheet, Steve. Looks like you and Johnny made the final contacts from the NC station after the Raleigh 'fest last year. How time flies...

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
n1exi

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 02:05:16 PM »

yes you never know steve but with big sigs how can one not - a loose filling would detect modulation from youse guys!
from joysee
greg n1exi
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 09:41:59 AM »

Went down the band later and called CQ on slop bucket. A VK comes back on long path! Ended up working a bunch of Euros too and an A41 (Oman). All in all, a pretty good afternoon of radio.

I was out and about late one afternoon a few weeks ago in our Tacoma and had my little K1 Elecraft QRP CW transciever up on 40 meters.  This was around 4 PM at least an hour before sunset.  Heard the EUs blasting in, which was not too surprising.

Headed down to Stonington Point to try to work a few of them from my favorite mobile operating spot.  To my surprise I heard a VK calling CQ and even more surprising, he came right back to my call.  I have worked  to VK , ZL, and KH6 many times with the little K1 and a Hamstick from the Point, but only on short path around local sunrise here.  First time to VK on the LP from there QRP mobile though.  40 is an amazing band.  Always been my favorite for CW.

* AJ1G Mobile SKN 2015 Sunrise 2.jpg (1144.4 KB, 4608x3072 - viewed 283 times.)

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 03:30:38 PM »

40 is an amazing band.

Yes it is. I've talked to several VK this last week on LP. A few days ago VK6WC was still coming through at 5 PM local. A UK station was also able to work him at the same time as I did (it was well past the normal window for UK to VK LP). Lots of fun.

I've always been amazed at the signal strength of some of the LP signals. Looking back through my logs, some of the VKs were 20-over-9! Most European stations weren't even that strong. Yet the VK is 4+ times greater distance. Amazing indeed.
K5IIA

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 06:52:46 PM »

You were very strong down here in Louisiana Steve.  I might have heard a burp or two from Tim and that was it so there was no reason to break in.   

I wish I would have know that you were going to do a little slick bucket I would have did some listening there and maybe even speak hahahha

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 12:54:03 AM »

Brandon, ya should've jumped in and said hello.

Just had a nice 30 min conversation with KO0T on 7295 from 1130 PM to midnight local. No broadcast QRM to be heard.
K5IIA

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 01:43:52 AM »

I didn't get on tonight.  Had sone other stuff to do.  I'm off work tomorow.  My email is good on qrz.  Drop me an email if ya get on.  Don't matter time.  We can do sone am or some ssb dx.   Just gota be 7.148 to 7.2.  Or you can get them and tell them you habe a person with a frequency handicap and see if they will split with me haha
Email good on qrz.  I got my pair of 2 elments in and vericsl stack doing well on 40

Brandon

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
KH6KK

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 06:30:13 AM »

K5IIA, Hope to work you and the others on 40M AM soon as soon as I get the Yagi up on the tower. Out here in the West Pacific its all clear to 7.200, from there on to 7.300 is full of SW broadcast stations blasting in, but theres still a small amount of room to squeeze in between them. I do hear some west coast coming in during the late afternoon early evenings on a random wire. I'll be assembling the yagi on sawhorses this week, so hope to get it up there in a couple of weeks time. 73, Joel KH6KK/KH2
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 07:29:33 PM »

Joel,

As a West Coast station, can't wait!

I applied for a position on T88..  Holding my breath lol.

--Shane
KD6VXI
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 09:14:57 PM »

Aloha Joel!  Any chance of working you on 40 CW from Stonington Point?  Would be great to add Guam to my WESTPAC QRP mobile QSOs!  No modern 40 SSB mobile here at the moment but  toying with the idea if strapping my little CE-20A 20w exciter in the back of the Tacoma with my Wandell und Goltermann selective level meter that tunes from 4kHz to 18 MHz as a receiver and powering them with a small 12V to 120 V AC inverter to play a little low power 40M mobile SSB.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 07:53:15 PM »

Hello
I have been trying to get on the air with Timtron and chat about LPFM.
'Bout what time does this happen? Weekends included? Weekdays are a bust, until my school bus thing stops end of Next month.

MOPMAN

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015