The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:17:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relay burnishing tools  (Read 3525 times)
W6MQI

« on: March 03, 2017, 01:45:59 AM »

Would it be okay to use a relay burnishing tool on the relay contacts inside a T47/ART-13? The last thing I want to do is damage the contacts.
KC4VWU

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 01:43:32 PM »

I wouldn't unless they are badly pitted/corroded. Those burnishing tools are last ditch effort and remember the plating is pretty thin on contacts, so once it's gone, the nightmare begins. Just my 2 cents...

Phil
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 05:08:41 PM »

Try using a $ dollar bill.

Klc

What? Me worry?
W6MQI

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 07:25:24 PM »

I wouldn't unless they are badly pitted/corroded. Those burnishing tools are last ditch effort and remember the plating is pretty thin on contacts, so once it's gone, the nightmare begins. Just my 2 cents...

Sounds good  I've never used burnishing tools before thought I'd ask before destroying something that is if the contacts haven't already been destroyed by someone in the past 70yrs.

KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 03:45:48 PM »

Put a spot of contact cleaner on good quality paper (traditionally cotton rag paper is recommended).  Put it between the contacts; hold them gently closed and draw the paper through.  Once will normally do the job.  You will probably see a light gray streak.

Do this too often and the plating will be worn away.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
w7fox

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 03:56:35 PM »

The ART13 maintenance manual says to use a burnishing tool, never sand paper or emery paper.  Does anyone know what this tool was in the 1940s?
kg7bz
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 07:12:50 PM »

The ART13 maintenance manual says to use a burnishing tool, never sand paper or emery paper.  Does anyone know what this tool was in the 1940s?

Same as it is today:

https://vetco.net/products/contact-burnishing-tool-large?gclid=Cj0KEQiAgJTGBRDLr5_az_Ouk44BEiQAIxaA4n2844x9GOxR_MK7c3qt6K5Xnkj_Xxbd88Cg6PTYMP8aAjEW8P8HAQ

I still have the old one I got from my father.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 05:32:45 PM »

Thing is, and I am not an expert, not all "contacts" are of the same materials or construction.

In the case of flat nickel-silver contacts, they'll handle a lot of "burnishing". Nothing to wear through.
Gold plated contacts have a very thin layer of gold.

There are other contact materials.
Also there are flat contacts and "domed" shape contacts... not to mention "crossbar" contacts.

Different materials/shapes probably want different handling.

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KC4VWU

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 12:33:33 AM »

You are correct Bear, but one important thing to consider about what was mentioned in the svc. manual. I'd suppose in the 1940's war time era, the gvt. was stocked to the teeth in replacement parts. Now, nearly 80 years later, those parts are nearing unobtanium. Be as kind as you can to your old farts... uh... I mean old PARTS! Grin Grin

...Phil 
w1vtp

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 11:38:28 AM »

You are correct Bear, but one important thing to consider about what was mentioned in the svc. manual. I'd suppose in the 1940's war time era, the gvt. was stocked to the teeth in replacement parts. Now, nearly 80 years later, those parts are nearing unobtanium. Be as kind as you can to your old farts... uh... I mean old PARTS! Grin Grin

...Phil 

YES!

I have a couple of those old relay burnishing tools with spare burnishing inserts and would NEVER use them unless I was in a last ditch situation.  I like the high cotton content paper with deoxit - on the paper and press down gently on the armature.  Normally closed contacts: let the spring do the work.

Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015