The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:15:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeff W0xv has become a SK  (Read 4388 times)
wa1knx
Contributing

« on: March 02, 2017, 02:46:56 AM »

I am not sure if anyone else has posted and I missed it, but I talked with Mike WZ5Q tonight.   He told
me Jeff W0XV has become a SK.   I don't know all the details, but cancer came up on him quickly and took him.
Jeff was a good friend we both worked for DEC, Storage Systems years back.  We've talked for years while I
have been out here in Arizona.  My Condolences to his family and every one else in here who knew him.  if this
has already been posted pse feel free to remove..

-Dean

am forever!
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 09:44:44 AM »

So sorry to hear this. I talked to Jeff quite a few times over the years. The last I recall was one of those seemingly magical moments on 75 meters not long before sunset when the band is still quiet, but you sometimes get very good propagation to the West (where they are still in full daylight). Jeff was booming in like a local and we had a nice contact.

May he rest in peace.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 01:23:56 PM »

I heard from Brandon K5IIA last night on 40 meters about this. He had emailed Jeff a few days earlier and got the reply from Jeff's son. Brandon was a bit shaken up about it.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 06:17:44 PM »

I didn't know Jeff as others did, think I only worked him a few times but used to hear him from time to time from the NC place. He had some big iron over the years from what I remember, think the last time I heard or worked him he was using a 20V2?

He was certainly a friend to and fan of AM and will be missed. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 07:09:57 PM »

Sorry to hear of Jeff's passing.  I don't believe I ever worked him, but the W0ONM call does sound familiar.  It sound like from his bio, which I got over on his QRZ.com page, that he was not that old.  Sympathies go out to all those that he left behind.   

" I have been licensed since age 14, and have been very active since that time(1956). Former calls are K4RSD,FP8BF,K4RSD/KH6,GW5CBK,and W0ONM. I recently retired at age 59 and live just outside a lovely historic town in SW Mississippi. I initially spent 6 years in the Air Force as an Intelligence Officer including a year in Viet Nam then spent 20 years in the computer disk drive industry and finally owned my own company for 10 years in the design and manufacture of home exercise equipment. I have traveled extensively throughout Europe,Hong Kong and the PRC.

My primary interests are in working DX with 350 DXCC countries confirmed, Top of the Honor Roll, and in the restoration and operation of older tube type ham radio equipment."

Joe-GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 02:24:23 PM »

Got the news via email a few days ago.  That's really too bad, and from what I understand, not expected until very recently (cancer, I believe).

A few years ago, Jeff was on quite a lot on 75 meters, and had a massive signal from his pair of 4-1000s modulated by a pair.  He was a great guy!  We used to talk about DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation) a lot, because we both worked there.

My thoughts are with Jeff's extended family.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 12:31:34 AM »

R.I.P. and go with God.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K5IIA

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »

Jeff was a great guy.   He helped me alot when I first got on the air and always took interst in both my radio and personal life and would help or give advise when ever needed. 

The pair of 4 dash 1000 modulated by a pair in the 20v2 cabinet that you could eat off of was amazing.   I was able to see it while in thre transmit mode and the meters were all showing plenty of current and voltage to make an am signal that would get the job done under most band conditions.   

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015