The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:47:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apache Tx-1  (Read 12403 times)
ve9at
« on: March 14, 2005, 02:15:02 PM »

Hello all; I was wondering if anyone might know where I can find the tuning and loading procedures for an Apache TX-1 transmitter.

I purchased one but have no manuals.

Thanks

Dave Miller
VE9AT
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 02:19:28 PM »

As always, BAMA is your friend.  http://bama.sbc.edu/heath.htm or you can try the mirror site at http://bama.edebris.com

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
ve9at
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 03:19:48 PM »

Thanks for the info John but I already tried that for the TX-1 but it comes back and with website not found.

Maybe its down.

Dave
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 03:32:57 PM »

Quote from: ve9at
Thanks for the info John but I already tried that for the TX-1 but it comes back and with website not found.

Maybe its down.

Dave

Hi Dave.  Did you see the following notice at the bottom of the website not found message:

"The maximum number of anonymous FTP users (10) are already connected... try back in a few minutes."

BAMA only lets in a few users at a time which can make daytime use a nuisance.   Some wait until late night or the wee hours of the morning to  access BAMA.  I've done that and been able to get what I needed right away.   You might want to give that a try if you can.  
Paul K2ORC

Go Duke![/b]
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 03:46:25 PM »

It's there.  Try the mirror site which allows 50 connections from 9pm-7am (the edebris.com address).

You may also need a dejavu viewer (although some of the bama files are still pdfs, jpgs, or whatever) and it helps if you're using IE to right click on the file and "Save target as..." to your hard drive.

IMHO Ken K4XL has provided one of the most indespensible services on the internet.  I use this probably a bit more than most because of the amount of restorations/repairs I do = and his generous and free contribution is greatly appreciated.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W8ER
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 04:16:22 PM »

Good heavens:

Meter switch in the grid position. Depress the spot pushbutton and tune the drive tuning control for max. Use drive control to set reading to 6 ma. DO NOT let it go much above that .. ever!

Mode switch in the AM position.
Tune Operate switch to tune.
Meter Switch to Plate.
Plate switch to on.

Rotate the final amp tuning control for minimum reading.

Plate switch to off

Tune Operate Switch to operate.

Plate switch on.

Begin rotating the loading control while maintaining dip in plate current until the final level of 250 ma is reached.

Meter switch to grid position and check that the grid current is still at 6 ma.

Pick up microphone and talk.

While BAMA is a great service, accessing is trying and difficult. A downloaded manual from BAMA is free and would certainly be nice for you right now **** BUT **** use the instructions above and contact Pete WA2CWA, right here on the board, for a nice manual reproduction. I'm sure his prices are quite reasonable and the manual, a lot better that the downloaded copy.

--Larry W8ER
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 08:37:08 PM »

and contact Pete WA2CWA, right here on the board, for a nice manual reproduction. I'm sure his prices are quite reasonable and the manual, a lot better that the downloaded copy.

Good instruction Larry and, right on. The only other thing I would mention is, if you going to operate AM, put the meter switch in the "Mod" position and check to see if you have about 50 MA  of idling current.  Of course all of this is dependent on all the components being in the rig, tubes are good, nothing is shorted, parts aren't falling out if you tip the rig (with both hands) to one side, parts are close to spec, not shorted, opened, etc.

Great rig. I have two of them including the one I built in 1959. One other point. Be aware, that on AM, the front panel "Gain" control is actually the clipper gain control. The "real" audio gain control is located behind the key jack. You gain access to it by putting a small flat blade screwdriver through the hole of the key jack and adjusting it. The front panel "Gain" control should only be turned up from full counterclockwise position no more than about 10 degrees. Turning it up higher will definitely give you that infamous "scratchy Apache" sound. Lots of audio mods around to give you the "wall-to-wall, tree-top tall" sound.

Larry, the check's in the mail.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 09:09:07 PM »

I would second your comments about Wa2CWA, Larry.... OUTSTANDING quality manuals and great service.  However, I usually just need the skizmatic for the bench, and it gets all filthy with wax capacitor droobles, solder burns, etc., anyway.  

If you want THE manual for your rig as a reference and to complete it, Pete is definitely the way to go - but BAMA is great to get the part of the manual you need, instantly and free, and not have to worry about it getting messed up.

And I rarely have trouble with BAMA since they've added the edebris mirror.

73 John

W8ER
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 09:39:12 PM »

Hi John ...

Well he was asking about the tune up directions and while BAMA is a great resource for what it is you need (schematics), I have found it very frustrating. I sure don't mean to knock BAMA because they are a GREAT resource but the last time I tried them, which was before they added the Oedipus mirror, I invented a few new cuss words  :oops: .

Also, if you have a rig, a nice copy of the full manual is a handy thing to have. I vote for Pete   Wink  unless the need is immediate, and then BAMA isn't too good!  Sad

--Larry W8ER
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 01:49:54 AM »

Quote from: W8ER
Also, if you have a rig, a nice copy of the full manual is a handy thing to have. I vote for Pete   Wink  unless the need is immediate, and then BAMA isn't too good!  Sad

--Larry W8ER

Just a second (or third) for Pete.   Markavitch (and AGTennenbaum.com, too) produce outstanding manual copies with terrific service.  The other guys, in my experience, don't come close.  Haven't been disappointed yet.

BAMA and the mirror are great for a quickie if you can get access, but the good hard copies are much better, IMHO.

Grant/NQ5T
http://www.globeking.com
http://www.globeking.com/pro310
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 02:11:59 AM »

Quote from: nq5t
Just a second (or third) for Pete.   Markavitch (and AGTennenbaum.com, too)

Make that http:\\agtannenbaum.com with an "a"
ve6pg

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 07:24:43 PM »

DAVE...TIM HERE,VE6PG/3 IN TORONTO...HEARD YOU TONIGHT ON 75 METRES,WITH UR TX-1...SOUNDED "OK FINE"...U WERE IN QSO WITH TIM,WA1HLR,AND OTHERS...ANYWAY,WHY DONT YOU TRY TO JOIN US DOWN FURTHER SOME TIME...THERE IS A BUNCH OF US ON 3725,MOST NIGHTS AT 8PM,EASTERN,9 UR TIME...ALSO LOOK FOR US IN THE AFTERNOON,AT ABOUT 4:30PM.,EASTERN,5:30 UR TIME...ON WEEKENDS WE GET ON AT 8-830AM EASTERN,AGAIN ALL ON 3725KCS...THERE ARE ABOUT 8 TO 10 OF US THAT SHOW UP...TRY IT SOME DAY...WE ALL RUN OLD BOATANCHOR GEAR,MYSELF I'M USING A VIKING2,AND NC300 RCVR...ANYWAY GIVE A LISTEN,AND GIVE US A SHOUT...73...TIM...SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015