The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:20:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mice and Electrical Wiring  (Read 10027 times)
KA2DZT

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 10:03:46 AM »

I always put the ground pin on the bottom in my house.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 12:00:47 PM »

For me, it's not what works, it's the NEC.  As an electrician, I'm going by code.

Check NEC 406. 

Did - couldn't find any specific reference to receptacle orientation other than:

406.5(E) Receptacles in Countertops and Similar Work Surfaces

Receptacles are prohibited from being installed in a face-up position in countertops, or similar work surfaces.

and

406.5(F) Receptacles in Seating Areas and Other Similar Surfaces

Receptacles are presently not permitted, according to 406.5(E), to be installed in a face-up position in countertops, or similar work surfaces. In recent times, benches and seating areas in public locations such as airports are being installed with receptacles installed in and on the seating areas. These are typically installed so that someone can sit on these benches and use the supplied 125-volt receptacle outlet for a laptop computer or to charge a cell phone or other electronic hand-held device. In some cases, these receptacles are installed in the face-up position. This represents a hazard in waiting as it is possible in some cases to sit right on the receptacle itself. Spillage — of water, soft drinks, etc. — is another issue involving these “face-up” receptacles.

...meaning flat, of course, not flipped. Makes sense. 

Did they change 406.5 in the recent past to include orientation for wall and other receptacles? If so, I can't find it. Only responses like this one from EC&M:

"True or false? The NEC requires receptacles to be mounted with the neutral slot on the left.

<unrelated AF and GF discussions snipped>

The answer is “false.” The NEC doesn't specify which way to orient a receptacle. The ground terminal can be up, down, or to the side. In the last few Code cycles, proposals to specify the mounting orientation were all rejected.

However, there's one exception to this non-specification. If you install a receptacle in a countertop or similar work surface in a dwelling unit, you can't install it in a face-up position."

Even found an article claiming that the code changed in 2014 requiring all receptacles to be installed ground pin-up, also false.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 05:11:23 PM »

I never understood the use of the positioning of a duplex outlet.  Some heavy duty extension cords when used with a ground pin facing downwards have their cords going upwards. Why?

Nice warm day out today. The chipmunks are asking for trouble.  They popped out of hibernation. Cat not up to task yet but 22 is ready.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2017, 09:48:28 AM »

The bucket trick that Bud/BIL posted really works well. I have used spring traps, Glue traps, poison traps and even cats but for me it's a bucket with 3 inches of water (no need to buy antifreeze) and a toilet paper roll with peanut butter. Mice can't resist the smell. Try it!

Agreed it kills and doesn't leave a bloody mess scattered around on the floor. There are vids of those killing rats too. more water..

There's also some mix of ground sheetrock, flour, plaster of paris, and other things that are non poisonous to 'good' animals (cats, chickens, dogs..) but kill the mice dead. Problem is they may die in the wall and stink. vids of these mixtures on youtoob.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2017, 10:26:29 AM »

Well, I'll defer to you, Todd.  With one caveat.

You would NOT pass an inspection in Kern County, CA. Like that.

While I was typing that response, I asked Greg at the Kern County Permit Desk if their was, as I was about 90 pct positive I'd been called, and made to address a correction know duplex outlets being flipped in a house.  A specific REIT wanted them in your configuration in case of a half hot style switched plug.  I got used to doing it that way and when I started new construction (meaning a lot more inspections), I was called.

So, while I was typing the response above, I regurgitated what one of our local county Inspectors stated.

As always, with the NEC, it's up to the Authority Having Jurisdiction.

And my last comment on it:  you'll notice molded plugs have a spot for your thumb.  Ergonomically, ground down.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2017, 11:43:23 AM »

Fortunately I don't live in Kern County, CA, Shane. (o:

Though you've brought up an excellent point - I really should check to make sure there's no local code requirements before I get too excited about swapping the rest out. Numerous facilities I've been in already would indicate not, but always better to know for sure.

The cat had another damned mouse cornered under the sofa this morning but even when I chased it out, he wasn't sure what to do with it and it escaped. He slapped it a couple times like he was playing Tag, then waited for the mouse to react. So the mouse ran off while he was looking under the sofa again. Think it might be hiding under the file cabinet.

Good news is, the hawks are back. Had a pair screeching in the backyard the last few days. 

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015