The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:43:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 813 amp project  (Read 21338 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2020, 01:20:02 AM »

Looks really great. I love the pi coil.

Are you planning a tune/operate switch? For some reason the power supply author suggested a 250V one on the secondary. I hope a better scheme will be used if wanted.

Using 100K resistors for the capacitor equalization gives only a very low current (5mA@3KV). Should a capacitor get too leaky, the voltage across it will drop quite a bit because the resistor string can't give up enough current. The remaining voltage will appear across the others. It should not be a huge issue since everything is new but at some point there could be a surprise if they don't all age the same.

Looking forward to more and completing, testing, etc!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W4AMV

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2020, 10:32:35 AM »

Very good Chris. As a rule of thumb and the experts can correct me on this, you need about a 1/4 inch separation/1 kV between the hot potential and the flash over point in air. HV insulation will certainly improve that number. In any case at 3 kV without any added insulation sheets, you need an inch to be on the safe side. I recently got zapped on a 1 kV supply I am working on for a small amplifier. Did not observe the rule and had several arc over points! Had to re drill out the card via holes a bit and added kapton tape as an extra measure.

Placing equalization R's in parallel is a good idea. Although in the 1-to- 1.5kV supplies I made and did not do that, but wish I did. On a 3 kV amplifier that I worked on for a ham colleague, HV caps went because of long term aging and heating of the equalization R's! Several of them failed OPEN. We replaced the caps, and soon afterward, the new caps blew again! Lesson learned, replace the HV caps AND the equalization R's.

Alan
W4AMV

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2020, 11:27:01 AM »

Chris, some additional comments and again, the experts are here to add or correct.

On this 813 amplifier as published, there is no means of placing the tubes at cutoff or into standby mode. A grid negative supply V is not shown as well no means of monitoring grid current as well relative Pout. Tune up of a GG amplifier is facilitated by those measurements. Plate current alone is not sufficient and in looking at the paper again, is not monitored.

On the PS, he uses the secondary to provide reduced HV out for the voltage doubler. I think the concern here is the transformer insulation breakdown voltage where the CT is not at ZERO potential. Is that a risk? I've used the voltage doubler successfully but it was driven by necessity, did not have the desired size xmfr on hand. However, the center tap was not used and I think that raises a flag.

Alan
n4joy

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2020, 12:15:07 PM »

Thanks for the added information and comments.  I did not incorporate a tune/operate switch for reduced output as the author recommended.  I am not a fan of hot switching and, as you suggested, not having the CT at zero potential.  Yes, there is no grid meter as I will tune by monitoring plate and maximum output via a separate watt meter.  I plan to use the amp with my Lettine 240, which has an output of no more than 25-30 watts.  I can't imagine over driving it at these levels.  The transformer is an Antek toroid with the primary and secondary taps wired in parallel for 800V at 1 amp.  I am guessing I should see around 2100V to 2200V no load.  I would honestly be happy with just a 90-100w carrier.

I will be cutting the phenolic sheet today and, with spacers, raising the capacitor string up as high as possible.

I also used the doubler as it has been impossible to find heavy iron, which is why I settled on the Antek.  The good iron are either in land fills or in the basements/garages of elderly hams who have hoarded them.  I certainly searched and searched but simply wanted to move forward with the project.  

The continued suggestions are most helpful!  I wanted to make this a true junk drawer project and utilize as many resources as I already had on hand (e.g., the modified cake pan for a chassis).
n4joy

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2020, 09:11:47 PM »

Addressing Alan' concern, I custom cut a piece of pheonolic plate , drilled holes to match the screw pattern on the chassis, and added nylon spacers to lift the board.  Let me add that doing this without unsoldering the capacitor string was not easy!  It took me at least an hour to do it properly!  I still have to cut the resistor leads and add some lead to keep them further away from the caps.  The dangling grey wire in the photo is for the blower, which had been mounted but not connected.

I am almost done and waiting on the cabinet and front panel to be powder coated.

* 20200210_210257.jpg (3296.54 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 485 times.)

* 20200210_210303.jpg (3137.12 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 469 times.)

* 20200210_210328.jpg (4043.26 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 485 times.)
n4joy

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2020, 04:54:48 PM »

I had the front panel and cabinet sand blasted and powder coated (hammertone gray/silver).  The most challenging part of the project, so far, was measuring and drilling out the front panel!  It took hours!  I used step bits of various diameters for the drill and the holes for the meters required a fairly large step bit.

I am waiting on a variac I ordered from eBay and will begin testing soon!

* 20200217_123917.jpg (3218.52 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 318 times.)

* 20200217_123852.jpg (2305.01 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 347 times.)

* 20200217_124015.jpg (3236.42 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 326 times.)
n4joy

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2020, 10:19:09 AM »

I'll make one more update as there doesn't seem to be much interest.  I have been searching for some nice 4" plus skirted dials for the plate/load caps.  Otherwise, all has been completed.  The bandswitch and meters were installed.  I will be applying power in a few days and have strict instructions from my wife to only do so when she's home!  Roll Eyes     

I have used Carolina Laser to make phenolic labels for past projects.  They do great work and their online creation tool is easy to use.

I appreciate all the past assistance/guidance. 

* 20200217_205953.jpg (1891.96 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 452 times.)

* 20200217_205929.jpg (2262.09 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 345 times.)
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2020, 02:55:56 AM »

That's a very nice looking job!

I'll be interested to see how it runs and how the power supply design works out.

Greg

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
K8DI
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2020, 10:59:26 AM »

Looks nice!

Where are you (and lots of other builders whose rigs show up here) sourcing the shaft couplings, extensions, flex joints, bushings, etc.?  When I look to typical suppliers I don't find much, and what I do find seems overpriced...

Ed

Ed, K8DI, warming the air with RF, and working on lighting the shack with thoriated tungsten and mercury vapor...
AG5UM

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2020, 11:36:10 AM »

I'm interested and watching your progress, Keep us updated...now the real fun starts......PowerUp time...
It looks very cool, nice job and great idea for a project..
I'm interested!!!
AG5UM
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2020, 11:53:47 AM »

I don't let the Warden know when I do 'things'.

Life can be a dream when she's not around for the sh-boom, sh-boom.

klc

What? Me worry?
AG5UM

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2020, 12:22:50 PM »

Two schools of thought on working alone....
1. Alone means alone....no help-on-the-way....no-one to call for help....
2. It's often dangerous to have someone distracting you, asking questions, telling jokes...
    or worse-yet.. startling you!! , make you jump...
    and of course ..if you grab onto 7000 volts, 600 amps... are you really going to need any help??
     or just your burial plot paid up???
3.  maybe your wife could get one of those "Baby monitors", and watch from the house?? just kidding..
Anyway.....
Great project, great work, and like was said... do you really want her to know Everything your doing???
If this is not funny, sorry, it was meant to be, just kidding...
AG5UM
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2020, 08:38:12 PM »

I dunno.  I had 6kv at 2a ccs xformer driven, 180uF cap bank hit me.

Obviously I'm still here lol.

--Shane
KD6VXI
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2020, 08:42:14 PM »

She's very wise!

When I fire up high voltage projects I have my wife standing by with the phone to dial 911 just in case.

Excellent workmanship! I envy your abilities.

Jon

It’s not just values, it’s business.
n4joy

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2021, 09:01:26 AM »

Hello!  Just wanted to bring closure and let everyone know that I finished the amp yesterday.  It took far longer than I expected as life and work got in the way.  Nevertheless, I devoted yesterday to wrapping it up.  I simply have to have some phenolic labels made and that should be it.  

* 20210110_173318.jpg (1078.2 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 272 times.)

* 20210110_173115.jpg (1193.99 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 203 times.)

* 20210110_173141.jpg (2347.35 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 199 times.)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2021, 10:07:57 AM »

Looks nice.

Kl

What? Me worry?
n4joy

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2021, 10:45:13 AM »

Thanks.  I will be doing some more testing tonight.  The coil was tapped with the help of a grid dip. Hopefully, I was close.

* 20210110_161726.jpg (1532.39 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 297 times.)
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2021, 12:52:21 PM »

Nice looking. I like it. 

Question: will the meters have actual plate voltage on them?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
n4joy

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2021, 02:14:03 PM »

Nice looking. I like it. 

Question: will the meters have actual plate voltage on them?

Thanks.  Yes, the plate current meter does have HV on it.  In retrospect, I should have placed the current meter in the negative lead of the plate supply.  I will be making this change in the very near future!   
W4AMV

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2021, 07:22:38 PM »

Great progress!

Curious, you say you used the GDO to set the taps.
Exactly what process did you follow?

Verification of the loaded Q of the plate tank for the 813's is important and I must confess, I use a vector impedance meter to do this. Are you using the GDO to find the resonate point for each band and if so, how do you find the loaded Q? Do you use a frequency counter with the GDO to verify the 3 dB bandwidth?

I guess you might have followed the inductance values required for the tank L to create the proper Pi match for each band from the 73 article. Then resonated the taps with some fixed C to get the tap position for that L correctly set.

Yep, ok I guess that is what you followed, Chris. After I returned to the paper.
It is just a little bit of work and it is just ME... But I would go through the calculations for the Pi network to validate what the 73 article has presented. Just to be sure. Easy to calculate the inductance for those taps from the solenoid equation. And then make sure the C_plate and the C_load all pass the sanity check for the required plate load Z for the 813's. Again... just me.

Alan

* 813_taps.jpg (9.1 KB, 396x171 - viewed 208 times.)
n4joy

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2021, 11:21:08 AM »

Great progress!

Verification of the loaded Q of the plate tank for the 813's is important and I must confess, I use a vector impedance meter to do this. Are you using the GDO to find the resonate point for each band and if so, how do you find the loaded Q? Do you use a frequency counter with the GDO to verify the 3 dB bandwidth?

I guess you might have followed the inductance values required for the tank L to create the proper Pi match for each band from the 73 article. Then resonated the taps with some fixed C to get the tap position for that L correctly set.

Yep, ok I guess that is what you followed, Chris. After I returned to the paper.
It is just a little bit of work and it is just ME... But I would go through the calculations for the Pi network to validate what the 73 article has presented. Just to be sure. Easy to calculate the inductance for those taps from the solenoid equation. And then make sure the C_plate and the C_load all pass the sanity check for the required plate load Z for the 813's. Again... just me.

Alan

Hi, Alan.  That's correct.  So far the taps appear close based on my calculations, but the real testing will occur this weekend.  You and I are on the same page. There will no doubt be some adjusting!
n4joy

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2021, 06:31:48 PM »

Great progress!

Alan

Hi, Alan.

Well, the 20 and 40 meter taps were way off--80 meters was fine.  Twenty and 40 meters are tapped on the second and sixth turn, respectively.  On 40 meters, I am seeing 1800VDC and 230ma under load.  My RF ammeter suggests around 95 watts, but I am driving it with maybe 15 watts.  I need an accurate watt meter!  At idle, the meters read 2.2KV and 55ma.  I'm going to do some more testing on 20/80.

Now to get it on the air!

* 20210117_171834.jpg (300.54 KB, 1292x969 - viewed 188 times.)
WQ9E

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2021, 08:24:19 PM »

It is looking good!

A MFJ (or other) "antenna analyzer" works well for checking the RF output tank.  Calculate the expected operating load for your tubes based upon the class of service and connect a small non-inductive resistor from one of the plate caps to a nearby ground point to simulate the operating conditions.  Leave the tubes in place with the plate caps attached to provide their usual capacitance.

Now connect the analyzer to the RF output jack and adjust the final tank controls for as close to 1:1 SWR reading as you can get on the analyzer and this should be very close to the correct control setting when the amplifier is used.

Do NOT forget to remove the little resistor before applying power or it will turn into a small hand grenade Smiley

This trick is very useful when troubleshooting tank components because it allows you to test connections and switch contacts "live" without danger and you can also temporarily substitute a low voltage/low power capacitor for a suspected bad unit to see if that is the fault.

I first used this when I built my triple 4CX800 contest duty amp many years ago and the settings for the roller inductor, vacuum plate, and load capacitor were all very close to my calculated values.

The grid dip meter is still a very handy tool.  Several years ago I worked on a Viking 500 for a friend, it would not tune up properly on 40 meters but worked well everywhere else.  I suspected a switch contact but all were fine.  The analyzer showed that it wouldn't match properly on 40 meters but it did appear somewhat OK at the low end of 40 and below the band.  The grid dip meter then confirmed my suspicion, the 40 meter coil tap was one turn off.  I had forgotten that the Viking 500 was available in kit form so this one never worked properly on 40 meters although it sort of worked at the low end of 40 with reduced efficiency.  

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2021, 10:04:49 PM »

I used that trick when working on a Drake L-75 Amp that had all kinds of loading issues. I found some bad contacts on the band switch and away it went!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W4AMV

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2021, 10:28:09 PM »

Hi Chris,

What Rodger outlined is spot on. If you have a swr bridge or some way to read a match that would help. I might add, not reverse engineering the 73 paper, I estimate for class B your plate RL value at 2.5 k for two tubes. Each tube has about 14 pF Cpk plus the stray. So your C_tune cap on 40 meters can be preset and a typical value is chosen for a loaded tank Q of 10-to-12. From Q=Rp/X_tune=12, I get about 107 pF on 40 meters and 50 pF on 20 meters. Application of the approach Rodger outlines, you can set and forget the C_tune cap. Now the Pi match reduces to just an L match and it becomes far easier to tweak the L tap. I would set the C_load to mid range to start and with the 2.5 k in place and tubes in socket (POWER OFF!) poke some RF into the antenna port and monitor on a swr bridge looking for 1:1.2 or better swr as you tap the tank L on 40 and then 20 meters.

I did go through the Pi net calculations for this case and I get 5.2 uH on 40 meters and so 2.6 uH on 20 meters. And on 80 meters, you can confirm, I see about 10.5 uH (that would be the entire L) and a C_tune of 210 pF.

See if that makes sense.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015