The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:04:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wonderous Times  (Read 12105 times)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« on: February 03, 2017, 01:37:30 AM »

The AM Rally.

Supported by the ARRL.

http://www.amrally.com/

My brain hertz.

KLC

What? Me worry?
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 01:45:46 AM »

The idea was the brain child of Clark N1BCG and Brian KB3WFV.

Apparently it started with a special event station that Clark and Brian were running at 1BCG.  The ARRL was very interested in the event, and in particular, the educational aspects of what they were doing.

Clark can tell you a whole lot more than I can.  Hopefully he will chime in.

They asked me if I were interested in helping out and of course I am more than happy to do what I can.  Hopefully it will be successful !

It is absolutely great to have the ARRL backing an AM event.  It's got to be good !

Regards,  Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 08:23:06 AM »

It's on my calendar! Clark is really becoming the face of AM revival. Good job!
N1BCG

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 09:40:05 AM »

This event is the result of several observations including the trend toward better sounding rigs (both hardware and software based), a noticeable increase in ops trying AM for first time, and the ARRL's dramatically more balanced interest in all modes.

The first two are likely related. It's amazing how many times I've met ops who said they were either trying out AM on a new rig or were motivated to try it on their current rig. Of particular delight was hearing about one who "dusted off a boat anchor to see if it still worked". In many of these cases, some guidance on settings resulted in much better quality and performance, and of course, an enthusiastic op.

The ARRL has recently taken several clear steps to elevate AM to the same level as all other modes. These include *their* suggestion of an AM station for December's 1BCG Anniversary event, the change to 7290 AM for their 40M bulletin, and a commitment to supporting proper operation and education. I'm sure 2017 will feature more such developments.

It seemed that an event was needed that emphasizes new usage of AM and supports that with education about the mode.

The AM Transmitter Rally was the brainchild of Steve QIX and was very inviting and inclusive. Basically, you just had to operate AM and you could participate. Plus, the domain www.amrally.com was already established and could be used as a platform for administering the event. Steve, Brian WFV, and I discussed re-launching the event, keeping the inclusiveness, and adding a strong educational element for new and existing users of a wide variety of stations. Also, an early effort would be made to help ops in sufficient time to get their rigs' audio and drive levels, for example, set up well in advance.

It was important that this was not to be an event just for AMers, but rather, an event for AM, SSB, and CW operators who would like to get the most performance and capability out of their multimode rigs. That attracted the attention of The League, who shared the inclusive-of-all approach and educational support of the event.

Our Madison Ave marketing group suggested streamlining the name to AM Rally, which was also consistent with the website www.amrally.com  Clever!

It is hoped that the AM community will join us by not only participating on the April 1-2 weekend, but also by putting on the Elmer cap and providing patient assistance whenever they hear someone giving the AM mode a try for the first time.

A successful AM Rally will be fun for all participants, and leave everyone with a better understanding about the similarities and differences of the modes that share the phone portion of the amateur bands.

* AllItTakes.jpg (91.25 KB, 492x253 - viewed 575 times.)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 12:12:22 PM »

Good show, Clark!

This goes to show what rapid and effective progress can be made with a new ham at the ARRL helm. In with the new - out with the old.

It's good you are taking advantage of their willingness to change. Seize it.  

These are times of great political change. It has filtered down into the ARRL too. We need them and they need us. They know with declining activity, their future funds and pensions are threatened.  

The AM community, with their knowledge and historical legacy, are just what the ARRL needs. Otherwise the League will become just like any other modern corporation - living on the latest, boring,  bell and whistle technology that the manufacturers push at them.

I'll be out there for the rally...

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 04:12:15 PM »

I'll be out there for the rally...

T

Wow, Tom - you're going to actually GET ON THE AIR Huh  Grin Grin Cheesy Wink  Definitely looking forward to THAT !  Getting a special event call ?  I might.... have to see.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 01:35:25 PM »

Wow, Tom - you're going to actually GET ON THE AIR Huh  Grin Grin Cheesy Wink  Definitely looking forward to THAT !  Getting a special event call ?  I might.... have to see.

Hola Steve -

The problem is I need to go thru a refresher course on how to get the rigs on the air... :-)  If they were easy to get on, I would.   But I have a NASA checklist of 25 pages to get Fabio I, Fabio II, Dr. Love, Dual Quads and Mr. Clean turned on and tuned up. Everything is integrated, so to switch from ssb to AM to CW and various bands with all the accessories is a nightmare.  The HV power supply, elaborate shutdown control circuitry,  and the 4X1's scare the heck outa me, being unfamiliar with them after 2 years away...

In the past I usually tear down the station from boredom and build something new and get familiar with the new rig. But I'm totally satisfied with what I have now, thus haven't worked with it for a while.

It's just a matter of getting out the checklists and starting the familiarization process again  - and I will - soon.

Am I the only buzzard with this problem?  :-)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

KK4XO

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 05:02:34 PM »

The ARRL Web Site notes that this year's AM Rally will be held on April 1st & 2nd.
For further info see:
http://www.arrl.org/news/am-rally-set-for-april-1-3-no-fooling
73 - Bill, KK4XO
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 12:05:51 AM »

Hmm.. The event could draw a lot of attention and hopefully a lot of participation.  Since the ARRL put the announcement up on their website, the AMRally web site has had around 2000 hits !!!  And that's only a few days worth.

W1TAV
Contributing

The Glow of Wood and Radios

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 03:45:47 AM »

Good job  Clark! .. It's nice to see the ARRL make AM "Legal" for this event.  Grin

Steve - W1TAV
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 09:45:00 AM »

nope.  Powered up and idled GORT for the first time in about 2 years as well. Could smell the dust burning off the 813s and bleeders.  Needed some heat in the shack.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 12:47:11 PM »

Nope! I suffer from the very same affliction, Tom. If I'm away from radio for any length of time my confidence suffers, mainly because I'm scared $#!%less of high voltage and its associated zorches whenever it throws a hissyfit.

A few years back when I had problems with the big rig I got a lot of help and pointers from 'JN, 'HX, 'GMS and 'PJP from a distance. They walked me through the potential problems in the power supply and high voltage sections and after getting it all sorted, I was very comfortable and actually felt like I knew something again. 

Now? They don't make broom handles long enough!  Grin

Aside from not have a 240v outlet yet, hopefully by April there will at least be some wire back up in the air if not a large transmitter back on the air. Would really love to join in the fun. I just ignore the 'contest' aspect and rag chew. Any airtime here is good airtime.

And yes - TNX Clark and anyone else who has helped this along. If true, it will be refreshing to have someone at the helm of the ARRL who accepts and respects all modes rather than favoring just the groups who feed the advertisers. It can only help the League going forward.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 04:57:37 PM »

Wow, Tom - you're going to actually GET ON THE AIR Huh  Grin Grin Cheesy Wink  Definitely looking forward to THAT !  Getting a special event call ?  I might.... have to see.

Hola Steve -

The problem is I need to go thru a refresher course on how to get the rigs on the air... :-)  If they were easy to get on, I would.   But I have a NASA checklist of 25 pages to get Fabio I, Fabio II, Dr. Love, Dual Quads and Mr. Clean turned on and tuned up. Everything is integrated, so to switch from ssb to AM to CW and various bands with all the accessories is a nightmare.  The HV power supply, elaborate shutdown control circuitry,  and the 4X1's scare the heck outa me, being unfamiliar with them after 2 years away...

In the past I usually tear down the station from boredom and build something new and get familiar with the new rig. But I'm totally satisfied with what I have now, thus haven't worked with it for a while.

It's just a matter of getting out the checklists and starting the familiarization process again  - and I will - soon.

T

NO you're not Tom,
But ya need to keep using the stuff on a regular basis. Letting it go for months can be dangerous!! To YOU and the equipment. I cam close to destroying my station from careless "re-learning sessions"

Fred KC4MOP
N1BCG

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 05:16:26 PM »

Wonderous times indeed, and there's even a promotional video...

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 05:41:51 PM »

Well I think the advertisers will sit up and take notice and perhaps some will do more to improve their AM audio if our stuff is seen on ARRL.

I have often wondered why on some of those higher end rice boxes why they did not have a functional infrared remote control so that in the morning, when I do not want to get out of bed, I could just point the remote at the box and get on the air? Some may think I am lazy and you may be correct, but in this day and age, I don't think it's too remote! Get it "Remote"? "Remote"?   

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 06:54:29 PM »

Wonderous times indeed, and there's even a promotional video...

This is one of those videos needing a super deep, bassy, gravelly voice saying:   "Defending a desolate outpost in deep space... ONE MAN....  ONE MISSION... ONE FOCUS... THE TRON!...  BE THERE !!"  

N1BCG

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 07:08:51 PM »

In a world, where every QSO is HiHi Fine Business... One ham, One mission...
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 07:41:37 PM »

Wondrous times indeed, and there's even a promotional video...

Who did the video? There is no E in wondrous, I wouldn't have know that but my spell checker found it. My grandson who is in the tenth grade is making TV commercials in school on par with some of the stuff people see on TV. I have no knowledge how to do any of that stuff!

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
N1BCG

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 08:11:24 PM »

There is no E in wondrous

It's the noun vs verb thing, like licence vs license.

Someone said the vid was produced by Saatchi & Saatchi in NYC...
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 08:54:45 PM »

Actually "wondrous" has been around since the late 15th century. It can be used as a adjective or adverb.

"Wonderous" seems to be an early 20th century bastardization of "wondrous". It's generally noted only as an adjective in dictionaries that it appears in.  It appears acceptable in some circles but all my spell checkers  Cheesy   highlight it as incorrect.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015