The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:22:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC Ruling on SDR  (Read 19179 times)
Art
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2005, 01:47:52 PM »

There are some definite minimum sound card requirements. The typical laptop doesn't cut the mustard. 'need 48kbps or better and multiple gozintas and gozoutas . . . also, a 800MHz puter is gonna be stretched to the breaking point very quickly. . . . I can multi task the SDR with normal office aps on my 3.06GHz box . . . No radio in sight . . . working along listening to 75metros . . . . The folks with the full spectrum AF do sound nice though on 10-15KHz RX bw. . . .
The programmable front end should be the next phase. . . it's what I would do. . . . that's why I ordered the ATU . . . then it will enhance the onboard band pass flitters . . . maybe. . . if it works on T and R .  . still TBD
I am building a compact lineer out of a MLA2500 . . . retrofit a horizontally polarized 3cx1000a7 to give it some scrote . ..

-ap
W8ER
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2005, 01:57:03 PM »

Art,

Dave tells me that he is experiencing quite a delay on the audio of his sdr1000. He is running his with a 933 mhz pentium 3. Are you seeing any kind of audio delay (on transmit) when running a 3 gig processor?

--Larry ER
Art
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2005, 04:06:54 PM »

yes, there is a definite delay in tx. however, it is not unusual to have a delay in digital communcations. . . . it takes some time to let the codecs do their thing. The degree of latency can be minimized but is dependent on processing speed. .. .  it doesn't affect much in voice modes but cw breakin is definitely a different animal with the SDR.

--ap
WA1GFZ

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2005, 08:32:04 AM »

Yea,
Then Bill Gates needs his time. ....
I would think the high prices should come down as hams smarten up.
A board in a box is a lot cheaper to build than an analog radio.
Open source software will also bring the price down.
Youngblood will compete with the big boys in the next couple years.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2005, 11:56:30 PM »

Yea,  a real time operating system would help.
Art
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2005, 07:30:36 AM »

Precognitive software? 3X10^8M/S processing speeds may be difficult to achieve. Another interesting phenomena is reflections. . .  imagine 20wpm DSP cw with multipath distortion. It would sound like my oscillator keyed 2E26 rig . . .
-ap
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2005, 08:44:08 PM »

Nope. A real time operating system doesn't mean the response time is zero. It means that when you ask the operating system to do something, it will take the same amount of time to do it EVERY time. This repeatability allows the programmer to effectively deal with the perceived speed of the user interface, among other things. It's most especially effective when moving large amount of data around, like in say..... a software defined radio.
W8ER
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2005, 09:46:05 PM »

It appears that, as we type, the first versions of the control software have been ported to Linux and are being released for testing, evaluation, etc.

Interesting  Shocked

--Larry W8ER

PS Anybody want an RX340 or RX330?  :?:  :?:  :?:
W8ER
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2005, 11:16:54 PM »

BTW, I sent Jack BFS an email a while back regarding the Jupiter microcode. I don't know of anyone else that is quite the guru that Jack is. I received a nice reply saying that he'd love to, except for time, something that he and all guys with his talents are short of these days. So I guess we have a definite no on that one! Too bad.  :cry:

--Larry W8ER
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015