The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:25:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orlando Hamcation  (Read 5970 times)
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« on: January 05, 2017, 08:55:03 AM »

Anyone here attending the Orlando Hamcation in Feb? I went last year and decided to do it again. HUGE flea market and about 5 buildings for vendors. I honestly think this will be the new Dayton
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 12:03:49 PM »

I plan on taking a ride over there from Clear Water beach to check it out. I've never been there. I figure Saturday might be good day to go to avoid the Orlando traffic.

Steve
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 08:58:16 PM »

If you go, be sure to have an EasyPass or a bag full of quarters - the road tolls around the Orlando metro area are in a word - oppressive.  Many of them are unattended, and if you are caught without any loose change and don't have an EasyPass like me when I unexpectedly had to hop off the Beachway toll road heading into Orlando from Port Canaveral for an urgent pit stop, you will end up having to run the toll.

If you fly in and get a rental car, you can buy EasyPass coverage to go with it, but it's not cheap.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
K3ZS

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 08:40:53 AM »

Easy pass from the north will not work.  Get Sunpass.
WO4K
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 12:42:04 PM »

Yep, Sunpass is the way to go. You can buy the necessary transponder at Publix Supermarkets, Walgreens and CVS Pharmacies. There are two types of transponders you can buy. One is about $25, the other $5. Buy the $5 one at Publix and load your Sunpass account with whatever you think you will use in pre-paid tolls.

Patrolling the ionosphere from Woodlawn, Tennessee.
KC4VWU

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 03:39:03 AM »

I've smoked this 'fest over for a little while now. Being able to make only one long distance hamfest trek this year, it's either Orlando or the newly re-located Hamvention. I'm torn between the two!
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 01:29:40 PM »

I went to Orlando last year on a Friday. The Flea market was too large to cover in 1 day. Everyone I said that to was laughing they said come back on Saturday and see how much larger it is. The new Dayton is going to take a few years to establish itself. Besides, going to Orlando opens your access to new stuff (things you don't need) you probably have not seen in the past. Nice layout, good food and the weather in FL in Feb has to be better than most places. Last year it was 75 and sunny.

My son lives in Kissimmee, so for me this is a very nice trip - and the lodging is the right price - FREE!
WA1QHQ

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 01:17:34 PM »

Just found out I have to go to a Sales Conference in St Pete the week before so I decided to drive over to Orlando and attend the Hamcation on Saturday, looking forward to my first time at this event.

Mark WA1QHQ
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 01:29:13 PM »

I'll be there  - I think you will like it - especially if the weather is warm. Last years was in the 70's.
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 05:40:53 PM »

Just about nation wide the I Pass works, even in states that don't specifically use I Pass. The roads in Florida have to be different and expensive. No bypassing the Toll roads. If your going to Orlando Bring lots of money. This time of year everything costs more than it should. Motels, Restaurants, gas, you name it

Best thing I can tell you is plan well in advance and lock in reservations at a agreed on price. No supersizes.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 08:23:45 PM »

I went to Orlando last year on a Friday. The Flea market was too large to cover in 1 day. Everyone I said that to was laughing they said come back on Saturday and see how much larger it is.

That was my experience too, except it wasn't that big on Friday when I was there. Unlike NEAR-Fest (Hosstraders then), Saturday is the big day for Hamcation. Couldn't stay so I missed it. Did see a few items and bought some wire from the Wireman to build a new 40m dipole with, at least.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 09:38:29 AM »

Hamcation was a great show! Friday and Saturday were in the high 70's. I think this may already be larger than Dayton. Lots of boat anchors to be had. I was looking for some ARC-5 receivers and was amazed to see them selling for $80-$100 - I passed! Spotted a nice Viking Invader in the flea market - first time I've seen one face to face.

* Viking Invader.jpg (1344.78 KB, 1800x1200 - viewed 320 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015