The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:52:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRO Receivers  (Read 2116 times)
WA4WAX

« on: December 31, 2016, 09:56:43 AM »

I am going to post this as a stand alone, having mentioned it in a post on the NC-300.

When aligning an HRO series set, do NOT align to 455 KHz!  Instead, find the peak of the set's crystal filter, and peak the IF chain on this frequency.  In my set, this frequency is 456.2 KHz. Others will vary.

The frequency response of these crystal filters can shift due to age, humidity, etc.

Good luck!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 09:21:28 PM »

True of any receiver having a single crystal filter; however, the 6+ KC bandpass of the IF stages after the crystal filter makes this probably a little bit moot.

It IS critical that the crystal filter stage be aligned at exactly the crystal frequency, however.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N3GTE

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 03:51:01 PM »

You wouldn't want to arbitrarily align the IF at 455kc as most of the pre war models use 456kc. I have a '36 model and it seems to have a pretty tight IF bandpass. Just guessing I would say 5-6kc tops. It's a little hard on the ears the listen to AM on. Here an old post about it from '12:
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=30965.0;wap2

Need to do some more work to hear if I can make it a little more AM friendly but have been working on a digital dial for it. Those little charts are getting smaller and smaller as I get older.

Terry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015