The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:12:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Other Hobbies?  (Read 21233 times)
VE8NSD

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2016, 12:03:32 AM »

I'm astonished at what we all have in common. I build tube guitar amps, reload my own ammo to shoot in rifles I build. I rescue feral cats Currently have 4. Ferals are AWESOME if you have love and patience. My hardest case took two years to "win" over, and she is beautiful. Also restoring/building a 1970 Dodge Coronet Super Bee.
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2016, 02:53:21 AM »

Railroad speeders, otherwise known as rail cars or putt-putts.

Standard and narrow gauge for some of the mountain runs.

* 20160531_171021.jpg (1487.42 KB, 2560x1536 - viewed 703 times.)

* IMG_4271.JPG (4290.78 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 747 times.)

* DSCN2059.JPG (2517.71 KB, 4000x3000 - viewed 683 times.)

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2016, 03:29:04 AM »

I just retired last year after 25 years of flying FedEx Cessna Caravans. I miss the flying but not the motel life.

* IMG_8012.JPG (1759.23 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 690 times.)

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2016, 10:23:01 AM »

Other hobbies, we have two ancient Mercedes Diesels that I like working on, and want to see
how long we can keep driving them. The silver one is approaching 400k miles.
Recently rebuilt the rear suspension on one. Put new ball joints and rebuilt the AC system on the other.

Along the same vein, I have a small machine shop to fabricate anything metal.
(Bridgeport mill, Logan Lathe, Lincoln TIG machine, etc)

Nice 300TD wagons there Frank.  My son  Dave had one given to him with about 300K on it back around 2001 when he was at UCONN, same color, think that's called Desert Beige.  He put a ton of miles on it and then gave it to a young guy that I worked with, who in turn gave it to someone else, for all I know, maybe it has made it's way around to you!  Amazing cars, built like tanks!

Old hobbyist machinist's joke:  "So what to you do with your lathe,Bridgeport, and drill press?" "Make spare parts for my lathe , Bridgeport, and drill press."  You guys are good to have around, you can make anything for anything made out of metal.

Other hobbies here:

Fishing, especially salt water surfcasting, which course leads to collecting and restoring classic custom rods and reels, and plugs.

Carpentry and woodworking, when you have a creative wife you never lack for opportunities to exercise and improve your skills in building stuff and doing finish carpentry while re-trimming rooms, and building furniture - I hire out the heavy framing stuff but enjoy doing finish work.

All the maintaining hobbies, maintaining a lawn, maintaining and improving the landscaping, again when you have a wife that has a degree in landscape design the yard is  a continuum, vs. a static thing.

Maintaining old cars as daily drivers, have favored most Volvos in that respect.  when i retire in a few years, I want to get a classic project car, most likely a 67-68 Mustang to go to cruise nights with.  Had a 67 289 Mustang rag top as my first car, never should have sold it (for 150 dollars no less).  

We recently bought ourselves a reproduction 18th century tall case pendulum clock.  Learning about the history of these mechanical marvels of their time, and trying to get the new one dialed in to keep as perfect time as possible has been a lot of fun.  I currently have it holding to within a couple of seconds a week.  We also have  a much simpler Shaker style tall case clock with a spring wound movement, so the challenge is to get the both of them striking the hour at the same time.

Don't play any instruments except a Morse key, but appreciate and am always listening to and exploring great music, especially classic rock and blues guitarists like Clapton. JJ Cale, and Mark Knopfler.  After going to Hawaii two years ago, have really gotten into Hawaiian slack-key guitar, fantastically beautiful stuff that is generally not well known outside of the islands.  Sounds in many cases similar to Spanish and Mexican style guitar, because Mexican cowboys hired to work on cattle ranches in Hawaii brought their guitars and music with them.  And the Portuguese hired to work in the sugar cane fields there brought their little stringed instrument called the machete, which then became the ukulele.  Most of my smart phone bandwidth  is used on Pandora chasing this stuff down, or rather, having it brought to me.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2016, 05:24:38 PM »

Have many memories of old clocks,  and old radios.

My family did renovations and then finally bought large apartments (city blocks square)  in the San Fran mission district,  when it was cheap in the 70s and 80s.

My uncle and grandpa made it their personal challenge to get all their clocks 'bonging'  at the same time.

This,  coupled with grandmother's cuckoo clock collection......   Well,  you get the picture!

Still have one of my uncles mantel clocks.

Thanks for the clock memories!

--Shane
KD6VXI
K1ETP
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2016, 08:22:43 PM »

Writing fiction. I've published 3 novels and 1 novella in the past 12 years.

www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Richard+Leverone
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2016, 03:00:59 PM »

I bet you get a lot of juicy stuff from 75 meters, Rich.....

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2016, 03:36:36 PM »

I bet you get a lot of juicy stuff from 75 meters, Rich.....

Oh my! Can you imagine putting to pen the stories, antics, and all the other wild and crazy ham stuff that we lived through over the last 25 plus years from the 75 meter activities and the many other on the road activities we all participated in and all in the spirit of amplitude modulation.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2016, 08:51:46 AM »

Hmm, that might  actually be a good topic for another discussion ... " what's the strangest radio related story you've ever been part of?"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2016, 10:25:37 PM »

I dare ya.... Grin

I'd always thought that some of the things I witnessed or was involved in were pretty far out, but over the years some of the stories I heard at hamfests, AM parties, Dayton, and elsewhere just left me speechless. Still don't think I've ever laughed as hard as I did at Dayton in 2007. Though there was this time at a little Italian place near Raymond, NH after one of the first NEAR-Fests.....

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2016, 08:19:12 AM »

I just retired last year after 25 years of flying FedEx Cessna Caravans. I miss the flying but not the motel life.

My opinion of single engine aircraft just improved. I've only been in a very small Cessna 2-seater and it was very cramped. It was also deafening and a freezing cold blast of air was coming in - crack around the door I think. Well at least every control was well within reach! But maybe that big monster there is also noisy.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015