The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:20:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OVER SHOOT??  (Read 3989 times)
W2PFY
Contributing

« on: November 22, 2016, 06:25:32 PM »

What does over-shoot mean? I heard of it in reference of using too large of a value of the coupling capacitor in a modulator heising configuration. Most of the circuits I have seen for 1 KW transmitters use a 1 UF cap at about 6 KV. In my Westinghouse MW-2 I have a 6 UF cap in there at 6 KV but I run it at 3200 volts. I used that cap because it was the only one I had with that high of a voltage rating. It's also floating above ground. Back to the question of "over-shoot", please don't shoot me for what otherwise may be a dumb question to many!

tnx  Terry

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 07:53:37 PM »

Depending on the circuits' audio impedance, too many uF there will allow low frequency transients thru and cause big mod thump-peaks.  It can also interact with the power supply ripple frequency.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 01:28:55 PM »

What does over-shoot mean? I heard of it in reference of using too large of a value of the coupling capacitor in a modulator heising configuration. Most of the circuits I have seen for 1 KW transmitters use a 1 UF cap at about 6 KV. In my Westinghouse MW-2 I have a 6 UF cap in there at 6 KV but I run it at 3200 volts. I only use that cap because it was the only one I had with that high of a voltage rating. It's also floating above ground. Back to the question of "over-shoot", please don't shoot me for what otherwise may be a dumb question to many!

tnx  Terry

AS TFO stated, it is a Transient Waveform phenomena.

For example, "turn-off" transients in a power supply is an overshoot and can occur because the load impedance suddenly changes and therefore the voltage will rise quickly and then slowly decay.

So Over Shoot is the occurrence of a transient waveform due to a change in circuit values such as impedance changes.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 05:03:19 PM »

What does over-shoot mean? I heard of it in reference of using too large of a value of the coupling capacitor in a modulator heising configuration. Most of the circuits I have seen for 1 KW transmitters use a 1 UF cap at about 6 KV. In my Westinghouse MW-2 I have a 6 UF cap in there at 6 KV but I run it at 3200 volts. I used that cap because it was the only one I had with that high of a voltage rating. It's also floating above ground. Back to the question of "over-shoot", please don't shoot me for what otherwise may be a dumb question to many!

tnx  Terry

"Overshoot" is also sometimes used to refer to what happens when an AM modulator does not perfectly reproduce a processed audio waveform.

Example: Your outboard audio peak limiter is adjusted so that a 1 kHz audio input signal just barely reaches 100% modulation. But your modulator frequency response has a +3 dB peak at 2 kHz. Every time your voice has significant 2 kHz components, your modulator will overshoot and overmodulate.

Overshoot can also be caused, paradoxically, by a frequency response rolloff. On complex processed-audio waveforms, the output can sometimes approximate a square-topped wave. If your modulator frequency response is not flat down to a very low frequency, the squared-off top will have a tilt imposed on it instead of being perfectly horizontal -- and this will also cause overshoot and overmodulation.

Bob Orban, who designed the Optimod series of audio processors, was of the opinion that to nearly eliminate overshoot, it's necessary for a modulator's frequency response to go down well into the subsonic range.

Kevin, WB4AIO.

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 07:36:59 PM »

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=6315.msg58603#msg58603

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overshoot_(signal)

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 02:07:30 PM »

Thanks to all that replied to my thread! I am not done reading all of it but will study it more as time goes by. From one of Steve's links I can see where I started a thread back in 2005 about the value of the coupling cap and now while going over that data, it has shown me the absolute brilliance of the respondents. One thing I wasn't aware of and that I'll be looking for is a PCB type coupling cap!  

Below is from the "then" HUZ,

Only if the oil contains PCBs. It's a well known fact that the older BC rigs with PCB caps sounded better than they newer ones with non-PCB caps.

You learn something new everyday Grin Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 06:26:00 PM »

I regularly traffic in toxic substances Terry, so contact me for your cap needs... Cool

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015