The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:44:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nicotine statin on a whie front panel  (Read 10166 times)
wx3k
Contributing

Vintage Ham Gear Enthusiast

« on: October 02, 2016, 06:04:40 PM »

What is the most effective nicotine stain remover that will not affect paint ?

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
"Thunder is good; Thunder is impressive but it is lightning that does the work" ...Mark Twain
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 06:20:29 PM »

I have successfully used 409 diluted with water, but it likely will depend on the paint.  Warm soapy water sparingly applied might be worth trying first.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 06:57:54 PM »

Westley's Blech-White whitewall cleaner.  Do not spray on directly though or it might spot.  Also you need to rinse it off really well.  It will almost instantly remove nicotine - haven't had the same luck with 409, Windex, scrubbing bubbbles, or anything else.

Just cleaned up a nasty Drake MSR-1with Westley's that had been in some ship's radio shack, where Pall-Malls were obviously just as critical to the job as a set of cans.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 07:10:12 PM »

Ammonia and 409 about half and half in a bowel and a gentle old pain brush. Rinse off. The crap melts away.
Do not mix ammonia with anything else, though. ok in 409.

Fred KC4MOP
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 07:55:35 PM »

JUST THIS, straight from the bottle liberally onto a paper towel.  One swipe, done.

Recently cleaned HT44

Before (click the pic)

After   (click the pic)

Must admit I pulled the knobs and soaked in Ammonia while I cleaned the panel.

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 07:57:20 PM »

Great.....looks SUPER

Fred KC4MOP
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 12:07:25 PM »

Years ago when I cleaned up my first Clegg station, nothing seemed to touch the front panel staining and overall discoloration. They seem to all yellow with time. Ended up pulling the panels and soaking them in the kitchen sink with a bleach/water mixture. Can't recall the mix now, wasn't overpowering but strong enough. Maybe 70/30 at most. Used a soft bristle tooth brush and some four aught steel wool, cleaned them up like new aside from a couple of small, deep scratches. Still have the original Interceptor, looks as good as the day I cleaned it.

Fantastik/409 type cleaners will quickly remove some paint and screened lettering, I avoid them like the plague except for specific areas of crud on the chassis and such.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 01:11:49 PM »

As previously suggested I use "Krud Buster" available from Home Depot / Lowes.

It's strong, so try a 50-50 solution first. Works great on aluminum. This weekend I cleaned my aluminum window screens with it. Sprayed them, used a soft brush to scrub and hosed them off. They came out shiny! My neighbor even commented on how bright the aluminum looked. Tried it on several painted surfaces and it hasn't marred the finish so far.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 01:40:34 PM »

Currently I have used Zep 505 with amazingly great results... the "brown" just pours off.

The current 409 seems like a different formula than the old 409... fwiw, ymmv.

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 02:10:43 PM »

Westley's Blech-White whitewall cleaner.  Do not spray on directly though or it might spot.  Also you need to rinse it off really well.  It will almost instantly remove nicotine - haven't had the same luck with 409, Windex, scrubbing bubbbles, or anything else.

Just cleaned up a nasty Drake MSR-1with Westley's that had been in some ship's radio shack, where Pall-Malls were obviously just as critical to the job as a set of cans.

Looks like the Westley's labeled stuff has been replaced with "Black Magic" Bleache-White. Evidently reading some info on various forums seems to indicate that it's not as effective on whitewalls as the original stuff.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 09:36:46 PM »

It sounds like we have some real chemistry majors here Wink

The ammonia sounds good. 409 I have tried with some success but there is still a visible layer there compared to the area directly under the removed plexi window on my Clegg Zeus. The ZEP 505 sounds interesting. I believe Home Depot sells the ZEP stuff

Currently I have used Zep 505 with amazingly great results... the "brown" just pours off.

The current 409 seems like a different formula than the old 409... fwiw, ymmv.

_-_-

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
"Thunder is good; Thunder is impressive but it is lightning that does the work" ...Mark Twain
WB4AM

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 09:32:29 PM »

Don't Forget "Simple Green"...

A friend of mine had always used "Simple Green" on the playing fields of old Pin Ball Machines.  He claims it doesn't remove any of the print/paint and when it is raised off, the playing fields come up almost new looking.  So "Simple Green" is another great solution for removing crud. 

But nicotine stains is what was mentioned, so...someone needs to try this "Simple Green" on Nicotine and then post here (Yea) YaY or Nay!

Best of Luck

Ken
wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 10:26:52 AM »

I use simple green a lot but it did not remove this layer of grime even with a full strength solution.

Don't Forget "Simple Green"...

A friend of mine had always used "Simple Green" on the playing fields of old Pin Ball Machines.  He claims it doesn't remove any of the print/paint and when it is raised off, the playing fields come up almost new looking.  So "Simple Green" is another great solution for removing crud. 

But nicotine stains is what was mentioned, so...someone needs to try this "Simple Green" on Nicotine and then post here (Yea) YaY or Nay!

Best of Luck

Ken

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 10:47:33 PM »

Did you try the whitewall cleaner?

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2016, 02:48:24 PM »

Sparkle glass cleaner works good. I consider it one of the best glass cleaners I've come across.  It's very neutral to painted surfaces.  Can't find it here locally and I imagine many won't find it locally as well unless you're in the midwest.  I order it online.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 05:17:07 PM »

An old remedy is a paste of flour made with enough Hydrogen peroxide to make it like peanut butter. 

Slather it on, cover with Saran wrap till stiff, flake off.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 10:13:38 PM »

no I have not. Was looking for some tried and true methods. It is a lettered front panel so I have to be sensitive with it too.

Did you try the whitewall cleaner?

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 11:37:39 AM »

Hello Stephanie..I will throw in my 2 cents..a lot of restoration has been done here and like you when I first started I did try lots of the products given here by others..some were kinda OK but a few dulled the paint or started to slowly obliterate the decals/markings..kinda too strong or too abrasive..sooo I decided to try a product that I had used a lot b/4 on my various vehicles over the years..made by Turtle Wax..called Tar and Bug Cleaner..originally came in a liquid pour out bottle but over the years has gone to a spray bottle that IS the same stuff but in a more convient way to apply..so they say..actually I still spray out what I need on a cloth and apply as I did way back then..my thoughts on this stuff are this..if they sold sumptin strong enuff to remove stains (and it DOES!) but won't dull or harm ur precious automobile finish then it's gotta be a gud thing..this stuff on my auto has removed dried up paint/asphalt/bird goo/bug splatters/rust stains without ever hurting the finish..sooo I used it on my radio front panels etc and it DOES work very well..dat's my story and I'm stickin' to it..hope it works for you as well as it has for me             73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
KL7OF

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 12:36:42 PM »

coca cola....
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 03:24:42 PM »

I assume we're talking about a Clegg front panel. Since I have a number of Clegg rigs still here and others that have come and gone, I noticed quite a variation in the front panel colors of the Zeus and Interceptor after 50 plus years. Some of it is probably due to paint aging and the rest possibly due to air borne contaminates. Depending on the type of paint that was used, some of this stuff might now permanently embedded as part of the panel color. The overall solution would be to strip the panel completely, then repaint and then re-letter. I have one Zeus and one Interceptor panel that actually have an egg-shell white color with a slightly yellow/tan tint. I've tried numerous solutions in some non-lettered places on the front panels to remove the yellow/tan tint but was never successful. Polishing the front panels produced a sheen, and with the overhead lighting, the tint is hardly noticeable. But, I'm a person that fixes "radios" and would never tag myself as a "radio restorer".

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015