The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:27:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice on RF choke replacement  (Read 1793 times)
WO4K
Contributing

« on: August 14, 2016, 08:35:44 AM »

Application: DX-100B final amp, RF choke and parasitic chokes for the 6146 tubes.
Symptom: Transmitter output is low (70 watts on AM when I normally get 125). Plate reads a max of 75 milliamps on the meter (spec calls for 150 ma). Grid and voltage readings are good (400v).
Observation: Replaced both 6146 tubes (both tested marginal under load) and noticed the parasitic choke resistors are burned and test bad on the VOM, RF choke appears toasty, too.

So I want to replace the RF choke (part # 45-4 in the manual) and parasitic chokes for the 6146 tubes in the final. Thought I was going to have to home-brew my own parasitic chokes, but found the exact replacement parasitic chokes at Surplus Sales of Nebraska. They also have an RF choke that I may be able to use, but I just need to check with you guys to be sure. The manual calls for 1 mh at 500 ma. The one available at SSN is 1.1 mh at 1 amp. So it is within + - 10% on the inductance. Good to go. But the amperage of the the SSN choke is double that of the 500 ma spec in the manual. I want to be sure the amperage factor is not critical. I suspect it is similar to the wattage in resistors or voltage in capacitors: More is OK, less is not OK. Advice, please.

Patrolling the ionosphere from Woodlawn, Tennessee.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 06:28:23 PM »

One Amp is a lot more reliable than the original.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015