The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:41:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SDRplay and SDRuno hardware/software SDR package  (Read 141060 times)
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2016, 12:38:46 PM »

Looks like an excellent solution for anyone who has proximity issues with nearby AM or FM broadcast stations. As far as I can see the core of the radio is basically the same as the RSP1 so it's nice that they are offering both options to potential buyers. Very nice!

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2016, 02:12:06 PM »

Well, can I feel smug, or only partially smug.

I ordered the SDRthing from HRO, $120 and free shipping. As its only receive; Can I only be 1/2 smug, or can I be fully smug? And do I have to stand by until I get it in the mail, or can I start my smugishness now?  Anyway, I can still look down on the unwashed.

klc

What? Me worry?
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2016, 04:01:32 PM »

I take delivery of mine Monday.

The weather in Bakersfield has been unusually Smuggy this week.   I think I now know why,  klc....

Lol

--Shane
KD6VXI
KL7OF

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2016, 10:12:51 AM »

KLC   Half smug better than no smug...

Being able to look down on the unwashed is worth at least the price you paid...

I have a problem with my sdrplay...I have the software loaded,  I plug the black box in, but the software doesn't see the radio...all I get is noise....It is hard to be smug.....Steve
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2016, 11:30:40 AM »

It's that TMC transmitter.   The SDRPLAY saw that thing and got scared as all get out!

Seriously,  you sounded great here yesterday in the roundtable..  Nice to hear you in Washington,  Brandon in Louisiana,  the boys in Arizona and even Montana was in there.

40 looks to be good this winter.   Very Smuggy.

--Shane
KD6VXI
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2016, 04:18:01 PM »

Steve, can you confirm that the SDRplay is seen by Windows in Device Manager? I had an issue with the USB cable that I got from HRO when I bought my SDRplay. I learned that not all USB cables are compatible and what they were selling definitely fell into that category. I grabbed another USB cable that was lying around and as soon as I hooked it up the Mirics API driver loaded immediately, the rig initialized, and the software saw the rig every time from that point on.

Rob W1AEX

* SDRplay.jpg (228.8 KB, 795x579 - viewed 1568 times.)

KL7OF

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2016, 08:17:01 AM »

Steve, can you confirm that the SDRplay is seen by Windows in Device Manager? I had an issue with the USB cable that I got from HRO when I bought my SDRplay. I learned that not all USB cables are compatible and what they were selling definitely fell into that category. I grabbed another USB cable that was lying around and as soon as I hooked it up the Mirics API driver loaded immediately, the rig initialized, and the software saw the rig every time from that point on.

Rob W1AEX
TNX Rob...I got it working.....a different USB cable and some fooling around with the IF Gain level and it took off......Steve
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2016, 09:51:37 PM »

Nice! Hope you enjoy it!

Rob

w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2016, 11:08:38 PM »

Rob, I would like to express my thanks to you for sharing all your knowledge and information regarding the SDR platform, it is very helpful to all of us.  I especially appreciate the information you provided to help us use the FIFI SDR with the current software offerings.  I know it is a lot of work to document and share the details, Thanks and best regards!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2016, 11:27:35 PM »

Thank you Rick!

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2016, 11:51:41 PM »

The SDR play works FB. A great inve$tment for $120.

I feel smuglier every minute.

KLC

What? Me worry?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2017, 09:04:32 PM »

I recently bought a used SDRplay 2 on eBay, and I'm somewhat disappointed with it compared with my Afedri. 

I'm not a huge fan of the SDRUno, and its weird frequency entry method (I don't have a mouse wheel on my laptop).  Also it overloads much easier than the Afedri, and the USB2.0 in my cheapo laptop is too slow for very wide frequency spans.  Still, for the $140 bux I paid, I can't complain to loudly - it covers up to 2 gig, (Afredri only goes to 30 MHz).  FM radio sounds fantastic.

Wish SDRUno did sync AM ISB (ie USB in right audio channel, LSB in left) like CuteSDR.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2017, 02:42:10 PM »

Did you try it with HDSDR or SDRConsole. These two apps are better than SDRUno in most respects.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2017, 05:29:32 PM »

"smuglier"?  Roll Eyes
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2017, 09:35:42 PM »

Here is a sneak peek at the soon to be released v1.2 of SDRuno. Looks like this will be a nice version with a number of improvements in the interface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXi70IDzkJs

W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2017, 11:42:50 AM »

In case you did not see the news, the new SDRuno version 1.2 was released yesterday. The full release notes and the download link for this update can be found here:

http://www.sdrplay.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2579

There are fixes, changes, and new functions in this version. It's a major release and worth it to upgrade. It seems to work beautifully here!

Rob W1AEX

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2017, 09:58:26 PM »

Using the new version with the new 1A receiver version. Very nice enhancement with the built in BCB moth filter option. 2 miles away from WABC 770 kHz.  Almost as good as my flex6500! Built in FM trap also cleaned up the mil aircraft band. A very nice package for a very reasonable cost.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2018, 10:58:07 AM »

For any SDRplay owners who have not yet stumbled upon this free spectrum analyzer program, it is available at the link below. Keep in mind that it's an alpha release so there will no doubt be improvements as the developer refines it. I have tried it out and found it to be a useful tool, although as far as I can see, there is no way to control the IF offset so on some frequencies I see a carrier on the frequency that I am tuned to. It's worth a look.

The first screenshot down below shows WTIC AM on the BCB at 1.080 MHz. The second screenshot shows my DMR hotspot that is sitting on 446.250 MHz with some kind of unidentified carrier that cycles on and off repeatedly about 350 kHz below and another signal about 250 kHz above it.

Rob W1AEX

https://www.sdrplay.com/spectrum-analyser/

* waterfall.jpg (168.68 KB, 1297x756 - viewed 1388 times.)

* spectrum analyzer.jpg (172.92 KB, 1300x755 - viewed 1356 times.)

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2019, 11:27:33 PM »

New version (1.0 alpha) of the SA software is out. It will now do spans greater than 10 MHz. I've been playing with it recently. Pretty sweet.

https://www.sdrplay.com/spectrum-analyser

New version of the SDR Uno software too.

https://www.sdrplay.com/windl3.php
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2019, 02:37:17 AM »

I had random crashes and mis-operation on it before. I'll have to get the radio back and try the new version.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2019, 03:45:14 PM »

The new version of SDR Uno includes a scanner function. You can scan over a range of frequencies or scan selected freqs (channels). I've been listening to the air traffic band the past few days. Lots of action, albeit rather mundane.

The new Wideband noise blanker has some good use too.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2019, 04:06:30 PM »

The SA software is still quirky. Sometime the sweeping (or sweeping display) just stops. Switching to a more narrow span will sometimes get it going. Other times nothing will. Probably not ready for prime time but may have some use in testing ham transmitters, etc.

* RSP SA FM Band.PNG (299.13 KB, 1607x942 - viewed 1021 times.)
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2019, 02:34:06 PM »

Thanks for the SDRplay update information Steve. After seeing your post I chased after the 1.0 Alpha version of the SA package and have been playing around with it for the past week. I very much like that the new version now allows the user to select an IF offset so that it's not stuck with only the Zero-IF option that displayed a carrier right on the frequency of interest. Also, although it appears that we are stuck with an AGC that can't be switched off, it's easy to get around the tendency of the AGC to repeatedly scale up and down by inserting an inline attenuator pad. As shown in the pictures I can get decent displays of my ANAN-200D driving my ALS-1306 solid-state amplifier with a two-tone test by using a combination of a 10dB pad off the RF coupler and by trimming it out with the dBm Trim adjustment in the SA software. The PS on and off results compare closely with what the ANAN's Thetis software reports and I don't think I'll be running that amp without engaging the ANAN's adaptive pre-distortion feature!

I'm off to grab the new SDRuno package with the long-awaited scanning feature. That should be lots of fun!

Thanks again for the update.

Rob W1AEX

* RSP Spectrum Analyzer ANAN PS-ON.jpg (150.66 KB, 1300x760 - viewed 1024 times.)

* RSP Spectrum Analyzer ANAN PS-OFF.jpg (151.78 KB, 1300x760 - viewed 956 times.)

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2019, 09:36:45 PM »

There's a new version of the SDRPlay hardware out: RSPDx. From the website:

The SDRplay RSPdx is a single-tuner wideband full featured 14-bit SDR which covers the entire RF spectrum from 1kHz to 2GHz giving up to 10MHz of spectrum visibility. It contains three antenna ports, two of which use SMA connectors and operate across the full 1 kHz to 2 GHz range and the third uses a BNC connector which operates up to 200MHz.

The RSPdx is a replacement for the highly successful RSP2 and RSP2pro SDR receivers, which have been extensively redesigned to provide enhanced performance with additional and improved pre-selection filters, improved intermodulation performance, the addition of a user selectable DAB notch filter and more software selectable attenuation steps . The RSPdx , when used in conjunction with SDRplay’s own SDRuno software, introduces a special HDR (High Dynamic Range) mode for reception within selected bands below 2MHz. HDR mode delivers improved intermodulation performance and fewer spurious responses for those challenging bands.

KEY BENEFITS & FEATURES

• Covers all frequencies from 1kHz through VLF, LF, MW, HF, VHF, UHF and L-band to 2GHz, with no gaps • Receive, monitor and record up to 10MHz of spectrum at a time
• Performance below 2MHz substantially enhanced – improved dynamic range and selectivity
• Software selectable choice of 3 antenna ports
• Enhanced ability to cope with extremely strong signals
• External clock input for synchronisation purposes, or connection to GPS reference clock for extra frequency accuracy
• Excellent dynamic range for challenging reception conditions
• Free use of windows-based SDRuno software which provides an ever-increasing feature-set
• Strong and growing software support network
• Calibrated S meter/ RF power and SNR measurement with SDRuno (including datalogging to .CSV file capability)
• Documented API provided to allow demodulator or application development on multiple platforms

Also, the lates version of their software, SDRUno has these feature relevant to AM:

A unique synchronous AM mode with selectable/adjustable sidebands, dedicated PLL input filter, & selectable PLL time constants.

Details at

https://www.sdrplay.com/rspdx/
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2019, 11:09:45 AM »

As I've said before, I'm a firm believer in the SDRplay and it'll be the last receiver that I'll ever need. I pair it with all my homebrew transmitters (using receiver protection in the antenna changeover relay).

I use the RSP2 and my only complaint is that sometimes it has difficulty dealing with very strong adjacent signals. My fix is to just increase software selectable receiver gain attenuation. I'm excited to find out how the new one fixes this.

I'm using the SDRuno software.

Jon

It’s not just values, it’s business.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015