The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:18:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Skyhook at W1UJR - Good Guy Report  (Read 19751 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2005, 11:47:01 AM »

Paul,
Very easy to turn any woman off ... very hard to reduce volume control.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2005, 11:58:22 AM »

This has been an argument since time began. ANYTHING that takes money or attention away from women is VERBOTEN!

I have a Chinese friend who was also a Minister in his congregation. One of his greatest "loves" was a 1971 Buick Riveria he had in his garage. The only problem it had was the Rochester "Quadrajet" four barrell carburetor needed to be rebuilt. He invited me over his house and I rebuilt his carburetor and got it running very well.

When I saw him again a few weeks afterwards, and he mentioned the problems he was having with his wife. It seems the old Riveria wasn't running in a few years and since he had his new "toy" in running condition he was devoting more time to it (not neglecting his family duties, work, and congregation). He was on the verge of going to a marriage counselor over it.

The bottom line: He sold it to keep the peace.

When I was over his house I was overwhelmed by the cultural differences between his family and what I was accustomed to (Good Old American Hospitality). The men DID NOT partake in the preparation of the meal. The female children assisted the wife. The men were served by the women and were cleaned up after by the women. Afterwards, the men retired to the living room and were served tea by the women and had discussions on politics, mechanical apparatus,etc, etc. The women were not allowed to partake in discussion. Only to serve tea and make themselves invisible.

I thought I found Paradise!

I offered to help clean up afterwards and was told (in a firm way) that that is womens work, men don't do those things.

In retrospect, who were the REAL chauvenists? Who wore the real pants in the family? When my friend drove his car he told me he did not get "lucky" that week, so to speak.

I guess it's all about compromise and finding someone who will tolerate "man toys", wherther it's radios, cars, guns, whathaveyou (all three is even better!).

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2005, 12:10:02 PM »

Quote from: Paul, K2ORC
Point conceded, but purely on the basis of cost, all services provided by woman can be purchased from independent contractors and overall you'll save money.   Then take money you saved and buy more radios.

A wise man once said:

If it floats, flies or f_ _ _ s, it's usually cheaper to rent it than buy it!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2005, 12:10:21 PM »

The whole ticket to success is the accumulation of brownie points.
You have enough brownie points without becoming P.W. and I don't
mean QRP the more toys you can play with.

Before I got married we agreed twice a year is Hostraders weekend!!!
I headed to hostraders the night we arrived home from honeymoon.
In '89 it was a couple weeks later than normal so thought I had it covered
planning the last week of May.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2005, 12:12:34 PM »

But Joe then you have to waste all that time shopping for the rental.
you might get something extra....
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2005, 12:14:15 PM »

Quote from: WA1GFZ
But Joe then you have to waste all that time shopping for the rental.
you might get something extra....

How true, like a radio with hidden problems, more than we want, but less than we need!

Joe Cro N3IBX

W1UJR
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2005, 08:30:11 PM »

Quote from: Vortex Joe - N3IBX
Quote from: W1UJR
Brother Joe,

I will be on this weekend, any more "Trans-Atlantic" tests scheduled?

The antenna plays very well, except the tuner is in the barn, so band changes involve a trip outside.

Bruce,
         Tentatively, the Europeans may try to work us on 75M. We'll have to do split frequency, as we did on 160M. The tentative freqs are 3705 rx and 3880/5 for the US to transmit. I'll post something to the board if it's a definite.

Fortunately, it'll be easier for us to communicate on 75M, but unfortunately due to the possibility of QRM, etc, it may not be. It's a catch 22 situation.

I'm really looking forward to hearing you on the bands this weekend and think it's terrific that you finally have a new "skyhook" to play radio with. Thanks to you and friends your dream has become a reality. With the new digs and "radio lodge" (to quote Paul, WA3VJB), you'll be able to spend countless hours having fun on the air. I know you'll be busy working on your new place, but hope you can spend man a night on the air. I for one, will be on 160M throughout the warm weather, and perhaps we'll all get a break once in a while with diminished QRN.

What station do you have setup for 160M and 75M work?

If you need anything (station accessories, etc) to get things going let me know. I'm as close as your computer and mailbox!

Again, looking forward to hearing you modulate the ether and best regards.

Hi Joe,

Ok, do keep us updated on the Transatlantic angle, sounds fun!

As far as stations, right now at the new QTH, I am limited to what can fit into the home office.

I have in storage or at the office a T-368, Johnson 500, Valiant, DX-100, and 32V.

I'd like to move the T-3 over first thing the WX breaks, so the T-3 and the R-390A will be the main station at the QTH.

I really like and treasure the Collins setup, the 32V belonged to my elmer W2UJR and the 75A was a restoration of mine a few years back. I'd like those to stay in the house or safe in the office.

Hope to catch u on this weekend, given the WX, looks like prime radio time!

73 Bruce W1UJR

WA1GFZ

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2005, 07:56:25 PM »

Bruce,
Warren K2ORS visited one day and the first thing he did was tune down to 22 KHz to check the VLF band. Check it out, cool stuff.   fc
W1UJR
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2005, 08:46:48 PM »

Wonder if my 390A will do that, I don't think any of the riceboxes will.

What did you hear?

Something like this...

WA1GFZ

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2005, 08:13:47 AM »

Warren operates on about 137 KHz part 5 band.
 There is all kinds of communication stuff below 500 KHz. You will need a RX that tunes down there or an up converter for your R390. You have the perfect location for it.
W1UJR
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2005, 08:18:46 AM »

Actually my HRO 5TA1 has coilsets which will tune close to there, is it at exactly 22 Kc or just in that band? I'll have to play around with it this evening. I have heard the NAV beacons and such, something else?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015