The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:27:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The rumored "space shuttle audio" sound?  (Read 12040 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 02:46:24 PM »

The Browning pings is due to a slow mute of the receiver. This can be extended or even made adjustable in duration by changing the value of an electrolytic on the receiver B+ line going thru the T/R relay. It occurs during Tx keying not at the end of transmission like a roger beep.

I can recall two Lafayette CB models we sold with the same unique mike, where the ping happened going from transmit back to receive. The fix was to adjust the spacing between the leaf spring contacts in the mike head. The leaf springs in this mike were extremely thin and easily bendable without too much pressure. About a year later, the mike was replaced with something a lot more durable.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2016, 04:01:27 PM »

Narrow audio does not equal narrow RF.   Shocked

When I tuned across the guy in this screenshot he appeared to be doing an excellent job of emulating "space shuttle audio" with his tight 2.4k filter and restricted/clipped audio. He was boasting about how his penetrating audio setup has made him famous in various "DX windows" and I have no doubt that lots of stations will remember him as his "whirl-wide" signal appears to be approximately 20k wide. Sometimes narrower is not necessarily better!

Rob W1AEX
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »

I much prefer the Valiant thud.

Or the Browning Eagle "ping"

In some cases, that was due to the single pole/double throw contacts in the mike switch. When you released the mike button, if the transmit side didn't disconnect fast enough before the receive side connected, you would hear a ping or some type of short feedback. Sometimes the internal antenna change over relay with multiple contacts, caused a similar type of problem.

Then there was the guy in Kansas wit a Tempo one blowing a cyclone whistle every time he keyed up on the local channel.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015