The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:28:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grounded grid amp?  (Read 4722 times)
RolandSWL
Contributing

« on: March 23, 2016, 08:08:38 AM »

Hi All,

I must be really dense when it comes to trying to grasp the 'grounded grid amp' concept. Can someone illuminate me on just how it works?

Thanks, Roland........
n2bc
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 08:52:02 AM »

Hi Roland,
There's a good description here:  http://wb0nni.dakotamade.com/ggbasic.html
n4joy

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 10:14:25 AM »

An article in the February 1969 issue of 73 Magazine (page 10) has inspired me to build a grounded grid amp using two 813s: https://archive.org/stream/73-magazine-1969-02/02_February_1969#page/n11/mode/1up

I am also contemplating building a power supply for it as described in the May '65 issue: https://archive.org/stream/73-magazine-1965-05/05_May_1965#page/n39/mode/1up

I have a filament and a plate transformer I could use for the project.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 06:51:09 PM »

Easy:

"Regular amp": drive the grid, that controls the flow between the cathode and the anode (plate). The cathode stays (more or less) fixed.

"Grounded Grid": drive the cathode and the cathode moves with respect to the grid - which stays fixed. The tube more or less does not know the difference between moving the grid, and moving the cathode! It only cares about the difference between them...  Grin

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
RolandSWL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 08:22:12 AM »

Thanks for the info.

Does there need to be a rather large current flow between cathode and plate all the time? This is part of what I'm trying to understand. I get that the drive signal is applied to the cathode. How (in)efficient is the GGA?

Roland.....

Is there a pictorial which shows current flow in the tube with and without a drive signal?
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 09:40:11 AM »

Depending on the tube used, resting currents range, in general, 'tween 50 and a couple hundred milliamps. This will increase with drive.

For example, my pair of 8874s rest at 50ma. With 20 watts of drive they draw 350ma. At full drive it runs 750ma.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 11:01:49 AM »

GG amps are no more or less efficient than grid driven amps for a given
Class of operation. GG amps will require more drive power. But most of that power feeds through to the output.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 09:20:08 PM »

More info:

The hidden benefit of running GG vs: grid driven is the inherent (built-in) negative feedback. This will make the amplifier run cleaner with less splatter vs: a grid driven version running at the same parameters and no neutralization.  (both AB2)

In addition, the grounded grid element acts as a shield between the cathode and plate to make the amplifier stage much more stable.  For example an un-neutralized  grid driven amplifier might take off into oscillation on 10-20 meters whereas by simply putting it into a GG config would probably make it stable.  (But has less gain and is harder to drive)

The best of all worlds might be a properly neutralized grid driven amplifier using regulated grid and screen supplies in AB1. Neutralization is a form of negative feedback, though not as much as GG.   I run a pair of 4-1000As in grid driven mode (in AB1) and find it as clean and stable as a GG amp. However, it puts out somewhat less power than GG because it is run AB1. (no grid current, less efficient)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015