The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:30:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good electrolytic cap source?  (Read 8430 times)
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« on: March 03, 2016, 08:48:48 AM »

Working on two old Lafayette receivers. Most of the electrolytic caps are shot. In total, need to order about 60 pcs, all <50V rating. Can anyone suggest a source of caps at reasonable prices? EBAY is cheap, but way to many pieces and values to piece it out. Digikey is ridiculously priced and really kills you on the shipping.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 09:04:55 AM »

www.justradios.com

Family owned business in Ontario, Can.  Specializes in caps, resistors.  No-name generic stuff mostly.   Pay the extra $2 for first class postage for fast delivery.  Orders I have placed have arrived in about four days to Md.   Tolerances on nearly every single resistor I have used have been nearly spot on.  Much better than Radio Shack resistors.  Caps have been quite good too.

Electrolytics are one place that can be argued over longevity and quality.  For best reliability, buy 105degree caps from a name brand like Panasonic or Nichicon and from a vendor who turns them over regularly.

The resistors and film caps are probably better than what was originally installed in most radios from the 30's, 40's and early 50's.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 09:51:54 AM »

Good prices, but very little in the way of radial lead devices. Most of what I need to replace is PCB mounted. Their resistor kits are way over priced. What they charge $49 for I got twice the qty from EBAY for $9, delivered.
WD8KDG

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 10:15:58 AM »

Mouser Electronics is a great source. They will have what you need. No minimum order or special account needed. Their volume of sales are large enough, you will get fresh electrolytic caps. There is no such thing as a NOS electrolytic cap, they start ageing  the day of manufacture and old is old. Use them or loose them.

You will be able to select the method of shipping. I just received an order, had it shipped via ground USPS (cheap).

Craig,

Ham radio is now like the surprise in a box of "Cracker-Jacks". There is a new source of RFI every day.
K1ETP
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 11:47:15 AM »

Try these guys http://www.capacitorworld.net/

Rich
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 12:02:43 PM »

http://www.tuberadios.com/capacitors/

I've bought a bunch here, nary a problem.

Dennis

Just pacing the Farady cage...
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 01:17:47 PM »

Try these guys http://www.capacitorworld.net/

Rich

Can't get much cheaper and they are local for me. Worth a shot. Placed the order. Thanks
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 02:26:15 PM »

220 mfd/450V electrolytic for 85 cents. Insulation made out of tissue paper? One picture of a cap has VRM (Mfr?)printed on it. Did a Google search didn't find any info. Lets use know how they work out. The tuberadio link is also a guy here in NJ. He's even closer to you.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 02:52:02 PM »

Most of this stuff comes from China. I'll measure it and check the leakage. Putting 50V rated caps where the originals were 16V. The originals were from 1974 and a few of them were still working. It's worth the $10 just to see how they work.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 03:24:16 PM »

Most of our Lafayette short wave/amateur receivers were made by Trio. Most of the parts they used weren't that bad but 40 plus years of aging can do a toll on them. I still have several Lafayette amateur transceivers here that still work fine and all have their original parts.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 03:38:32 PM »

These are for two HA-600's that were given to me. Next project is finishing my HB-444/25A
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 09:27:58 PM »

VR Series Capacitors are Nichicon.   They replaced the VX series.

That is an unbelievable price for Nichicon at those voltages and values.

Methinks they have a stock picture......

Not to be confused with VRM Capacitors.   Those are not a type,  but a use of Capacitors on pc motherboards.

--Shane
KD6VXI
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 08:18:16 AM »

220 mfd/450V electrolytic for 85 cents. Insulation made out of tissue paper? One picture of a cap has VRM (Mfr?)printed on it. Did a Google search didn't find any info. Lets use know how they work out. The tuberadio link is also a guy here in NJ. He's even closer to you.
So I got the package while I was in Las Vegas on business. The caps I received are made by two different companies, Jwco and Nichicon. I've randomly checked about 20 pcs and all are within 10% of the rated value. Both leakage and ESR are very acceptable. Longevity is the unknown variable. For now www.capacitorworld.net gets an "thumbs up" from me!
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 10:08:15 PM »

http://www.wjoe.com/capacitors.htm

Gud Dude..

/Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015