The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:08:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's Tolly (wavebourn) Been?  (Read 15482 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: March 01, 2005, 03:10:00 PM »

Has anyone heard from Tolly recently?  I haven't seen him post for a while. Hope everything is OK on his end.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 03:20:25 PM »

I've been wondering the same thing
for the past few days, Bob.

According to his avatar,
Tolly lives in northern California
which really got hammered with
a lot of rain and wind in the past
couple of weeks. I hope he and
his family are okay out there.

Go Duke![/b]
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 03:26:13 PM »

Think he's on vacation.

http://amfone.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3962

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 03:39:53 PM »

Quote from: w3jn

Right you are!  He even posted his
itinerary and I see he's in San Diego
until the 4th.  And here we were
worried about him.  Pshaw!

Go Duke![/b]
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 03:55:42 PM »

I recall him talking about it now that you mention it.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 08:26:29 PM »

I wouldn't mind being in San Diego, myself...
Think I'd be here instead of seafood bars on the wharfs?

Ahhhhhhhh
Wavebourn

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 06:32:46 PM »

I am still here, actually... Wink

But I am working on design of audio equipment, no radio projects currently. Have some prototypes and would like to start manufacturing, but the problem is I am an engineer, and don't know how to do business... Need help...

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 07:20:04 PM »

I was in a start-up company for 3 years creating high-volume consumer products.

One thing I learned is that there are A LOT of wealthy people/investors out there looking for the entrepreneurs and start-ups.   Put together a good business plan for presentation to the bankers and other entrepreneurs and the rest is synergy.  As I recall you are in California, a lot of electronics business expertise there.

The only thing is, right now with the recovery from the Great Recession, the banking system is disfavoring the small businessman.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 10:36:43 PM »

Make sure you visit Murphy Surplus. lots of small parts and hardware.
Wavebourn

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 06:13:19 PM »

Thank you guys!

That's why I did not use any loans for my small business, but it will be needed for a big one, to engineer, manufacture, distribute and support.

Wavebourn

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 03:05:42 PM »

Hi there, I am back! Cheesy

Since my last visit, I was pretty busy.

If you don't remember, here is my story.

Back in 1970'Th I used to be a student of an Institute of Automated Control Systems and Radio Electronic, TIASUR. Audio was my passion, I played in a rock group, and designed for it amps, guitar effects, synthesizer, mixers, etc... I thought when I graduated in 1981 that I know precisely what is needed to get the best audio reproduction, that tubes were obsolete, transistors were the best. My last audio amplifier then delivered 200W per channel, I thought that it was perfect, and nothing better can be done...

...until in 2002 in a small high-end store in Walnut Creek, California I dropped my jaw when heard as if a real Diana Krall playing and singing. The amp was single ended with 211 output triodes, something like 10W per channel, and very inefficient Magnepan speakers, huge like doors. It was not loud, but soo reeeal, I got goosebumps, and sphincters almost unleashed!

Since then I started again, with vacuum tubes, trying to get as real as possible sound reproduction. I had my day job in software development industry, but could not shake off the desire to make my own high end equipment. My previous experience with tone shaping for rock group appeared handy, instead of creating audible musical distortions I felt and knew what is needed to make distortions as if to disappear. And now since my job is my passion, I am eager to bring to the market what I finally earned to do: affordable equipment of high end quality of sound reproduction.
In short, Back in 1980 I designed what I though was the best amplifier. It was 200W per channel fully complementary ultrafast wideband opamp.
In 2004, after hearing in 2002 real high end for the first time in my life, I designed 100W per channel push-pull amp with military output tubes.
In 2009 I designed 100W per channel hybrid amp with augmented SiC source followers loaded on modulated CCS,
and finally in 2018 come to 6W per channel single ended amplifier, with regulated power and 3 nested feedback loops.
Well; I forgot to mention that I did not jump from 100W per channel transformerless hybrid amp directly to 6W per channel amp. Between them were 5W per channel triode class A2 amp without feedbacks, and 45W per channel single ended class A2 pentode amp with 3 nested feedback loops, similar to current 6W per channel amp, but much more expensive, and consuming half a kilowatt of electricity constantly. While I love my 45W per channel amp with military transmitting output tubes, it consumes more than half of kilowatt electricity, and I found it impractical, since high end quality speakers with 92 dB/W/M and better sensitivity are widely available, and 6W per channel amp is quite adequate, and many of NOS and current production tubes are available for such amps.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wavebourn
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 04:34:05 PM »

Wow Tolly,

What a surprise, you really jogged my brain cells!

I remember the high-powered emitter follower outputs.

Good luck in your new endeavors.  I just retired.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 08:44:23 PM »

Wow! A blast from the past. Welcome back!
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2020, 03:23:06 PM »

<snip>
While I love my 45W per channel amp with military transmitting output tubes, it consumes more than half of kilowatt electricity, and I found it impractical, since high end quality speakers with 92 dB/W/M and better sensitivity are widely available, and 6W per channel amp is quite adequate, and many of NOS and current production tubes are available for such amps.

Interesting to find you here!

Except that 6W with a 92dB/1/1m speaker is not particularly adequate... unless ur listening at night at very
low levels. That provides for a max SPL at 1 Meter, not at the listening position of under, less than 98dB.

Even with 109dB/1W/1m compression drivers 6 watts is not going to pass un-clipped or uncompressed
peaks.

How do I know? Maybe I've been there, done that... Cheesy

Btw, I had no idea that ur a ham...

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Wavebourn

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2020, 11:51:44 AM »

Thank you guys!

In January I moved to Texas and registered my new company. However, Coronavirus changed all plans, so instead of working on preamps and power amps that I planned to manufacture, I am preparing some UV-C disinfection lamps...

Wavebourn

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2020, 11:59:06 AM »

<snip>
While I love my 45W per channel amp with military transmitting output tubes, it consumes more than half of kilowatt electricity, and I found it impractical, since high end quality speakers with 92 dB/W/M and better sensitivity are widely available, and 6W per channel amp is quite adequate, and many of NOS and current production tubes are available for such amps.

Except that 6W with a 92dB/1/1m speaker is not particularly adequate... unless ur listening at night at very
low levels. That provides for a max SPL at 1 Meter, not at the listening position of under, less than 98dB.

Even with 109dB/1W/1m compression drivers 6 watts is not going to pass un-clipped or uncompressed
peaks.

Thank you my dear for your opinion. It is as always strong and no-compromise. :-)

To me, and to many audiophiles that I  met, normal listening level is 95 dB peak, and a couple of 6W channels with 92 dB/W/M speakers in a listening room can produce that easily.
However, I wrote that at least 92 dB/W/M sensitivity is enough, and plenty of such speakers are available. If you believe that the only way to have high end audio is driving 80 dB/W/M bookshelf speakers with 1 KW amps, I respect your opinion, since there can be only 2 opinions, yours and a wrong one. Cheesy

Wavebourn

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2020, 12:14:00 PM »

Wow Tolly,

What a surprise, you really jogged my brain cells!

I remember the high-powered emitter follower outputs.

Good luck in your new endeavors.  I just retired.

Yeah... It was what, like 2001, when I made that hybrid, with 8AL9 tube and a MOSFET source follower? :-)

After that I made it augmented, to keep S-D voltage almost signal - independent, and then loaded on counter-modulated CCS to keep the current through it stable. The amp sounded gorgeous, but consumed more than kilowatt for 2x100W output. :-)

Now I have a different problem.
UV-C is good for disinfection. But due to it's disinfecting nature, it is bad for skin and eyes. So, the obvious solution to fool-proof it is to add some sensor of presence of people and pets. I tried a PIR sensor to pause it, but it is not as reliable as I want.

There are Doppler-effect based miniature microwave radars, some work in 3 GHz, some in 10 Hz bands.They remind me my diploma project back in 1981, when I designed a microwave alarm system. It used a machined head for 10.7 GHz, with Gunn and mixing diodes.
This Chinese devices are much simpler, and use BCB traces as resonators.

The question is, which frequencies are permitted by FCC, and do I need to get a special license, if the transmitted power is like 20-30 mW?

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2020, 12:43:29 PM »

I think of trying the simpler, cheaper solutions first. How about infrared sensors - a system like the in-home motion detectors?

Wavebourn

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2020, 02:38:47 PM »

I think of trying the simpler, cheaper solutions first. How about infrared sensors - a system like the in-home motion detectors?

Yes, and it is what I tried the first, PIR. It did not satisfy me. It turns movement into AC via multiple lenses on the surface of the semi-sphere. Not as sensitive as I want, and not reliable. It is good to power on security lights, when you do not care about how soon it reacts. But here the reaction must be immediate.

Wavebourn

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2020, 02:49:33 PM »

And microwave sensors are cheaper than PIR ones.

WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2020, 04:34:04 PM »

Hi Tolly,

I bought a Chinese made UV-C lamp that comes with a stand, and a remote control gizmo that has buttons to select the run time, 15, 30, and 60 minutes.

I tried it out in the master bedroom with the adjoining bathroom. I left the HVAC off, and had the lamp on for 60 minutes as the XYL and I were going to do some shopping.

When I came back, the ozone level in the room was really strong. Had to ventilate the room, but even at that, the bathroom and closets stunk for about 10 days.

I've heard that certain UV-C lamp wavelengths either enhance, or minimize ozone generation.

As I see it, my lamp is dangerous!

Jim
Wd5JKO
Wavebourn

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2020, 12:58:43 AM »

Hi Jim;
usual UVC lamps generate 185 and 254 nanometer strips. 185 nm has energy of photons to ionize oxygen and generate ozone. It does not go far, being absorbed by oxygen, while 254 nm go far and destroy organics. When bulbs are made from clear quartz, they pass both. Some additions work as HPF, so only 254 nm goes through such glass.
The samples of lamps that I have generate both wavelengths, and I have plenty of such spare bulbs. But ozone-less bulbs can be ordered also as replacements.

Ozone is good to kill mold in gaps where rays do not come. However, it smells like storm, and in high concentration is harmful. When I come back after shopping, I open the door of my trailer for venting.

* 20200713_144828.jpg (1687.91 KB, 2944x2208 - viewed 294 times.)

* 20200713_144343.jpg (3740.78 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 267 times.)

* 20200713_182112.jpg (4314.93 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 271 times.)
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2020, 11:36:35 AM »

They do make PIR/Ultrasonic combo units.  Those are near instantaneous.

And you're very right about the crappy effects of UV on skin.  I've worked on some industrial sized units for water purification.  Yuck!

Look into dual mode motion detectors.  I've installed hundreds of them in commercial and residential locations.   California now requires them damn near.  We even have to have some plugs in a room switched on and off by motion or vacancy detectors to meet title 24!

--Shane
KD6VXI
Wavebourn

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2020, 01:43:12 PM »

Thank you Shane, can you give me some more information, what kind of units, where to find them?

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2020, 09:05:55 PM »

<snip>

peaks.

Thank you my dear for your opinion. It is as always strong and no-compromise. :-)

To me, and to many audiophiles that I  met, normal listening level is 95 dB peak, and a couple of 6W channels with 92 dB/W/M speakers in a listening room can produce that easily.
However, I wrote that at least 92 dB/W/M sensitivity is enough, and plenty of such speakers are available. If you believe that the only way to have high end audio is driving 80 dB/W/M bookshelf speakers with 1 KW amps, I respect your opinion, since there can be only 2 opinions, yours and a wrong one. Cheesy

Well... you have done some very interesting things with audio, and certainly have good and interesting ideas.

I suppose my opinions on these matters are strong, because they are well-formed both in theory and practice over a long
time.

It seems to me that it is misleading to say that 6 watts are sufficient and that 95dB is a typical listening level.
PERHAPS it is a typical average listening level. Sure. But unless ur willing to accept compression due to hitting
the triode's non-linear region (assuming that feedback doesn't force linearity up to the point it hits "the wall"), 6 watts is
both theoretically insufficient and practically so. You know it too.

Peaks on well recorded music can be ~20dB over average. Do the math on how much power is required?

You know that too.

As I said, with a 109dB/1w/1m compression driver on a quality horn, 6 watts is barely passable.
How many times have I had the fun of running low power SE amps on horns? Lots.
Other speakers too...

Well, I can pull out this card, now that I am becoming an old buzzard!
I started with hifi, in the business back in the early 1970s, and was listening to
stuff I could only drool over and never afford back in the 60s.

The people I know were doing triodes in the 1980s, trying every possible combination we could
come up with... long before almost anyone was thinking that tube amps were any good. (Except
the Japanese!)

It's fine if you like the resulting sound. But the average person is probably going to go down
the "low power" rabbit hole and not be very happy.

Suggest working this amp into ~100dB/1w/1m LF drivers and matching that to some sort of similar
or greater sensitivity HF section.

It's kinda like the guys who try to get on AM with an Isopole antenna and 25watts out of a transceiver??
Not really a good combination.
Somewhere in there you still need to put the RF into the ionosphere - you can do it with a high efficiency
antenna (read: BIG ASS wide spaced beam up 150ft or more) and low power, OR you can maybe do it
with a low efficiency antenna and GOBS of power. In the end, it works out to the equivalent of needed
certain SPL in the room... sort of...

So, what about ham radio?
AM ham radio?

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015