The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:20:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is home today to play radio?  (Read 8549 times)
W1UJR
« on: March 01, 2005, 08:09:48 AM »

In light of the snow, aka blizzard, I gave the guys the day off and closed the biz.

So plenty of time to play radio, anyone around?

-Bruce
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 09:16:53 AM »

When you getting your new HRO?  That one looks sweet, Bruce!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W1UJR
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 09:58:59 AM »

Hi John,

Hopefully soon, I always try to ship those items 2nd day UPS to minize damage.

Yes, lots of coil sets and goodies, perfect for the new shack!

Missed you during the AWA AM contest last weekend.

73 Bruce
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 10:28:26 AM »

Bruce, not too interested in corntests, vintage or otherwise...  I tooned around Sat night and it was a real cacaphony of carriers, and someone was running a DX-100 sans scope and killing about 25 KHz in the process.  That about did it for me.

Also, I embarrassed myself Sat when adjusting a recently-converted Heathkit HX-20 on the air as I couldn't find my frigging dummy load.  I thought I tooned off an existing AM QSO far enough, and was only running 10 watts of carrier but was later informed that I was strapping some of the participants in the QSO on 3830 with my stupid testing :oops:   :oops:   I took that as a bad omen and pulled the switch.  And I still have no idea where my dummy load is (no suggestions, please, on where I should have put it!)

ANyway, sorry I missed you, Bruce, I would have enjoyed the QSO as always.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 11:04:34 AM »

We got a "snow day" to-day even though there has been no accumulation.  Maybe I'll listen and see what's happening on 40.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 11:39:28 AM »

Bruce,
        RU on 75 or 40 metros? Perhaps we can catch up with each other. I picked up another "Foneband7", a FB7-A that I'm in the process of working on, etc. Lot's of stuff to catch up with.

Let me know what band you'll be on and I'll look for you.

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 01:06:47 PM »

I blew the day off.  I'm tired of torturing myself getting into work with all the wiener and idiot type drivers.  Figured I'd use today as a sanity check.  I'm not playin' radio right now.  Doing friggin taxes instead, Yuk!

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W1UJR
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 04:41:03 PM »

Hey guys,

Joe, I'll be on 75 meters from 6PM on, would enjoy chatting over the FB-7.
Check this month's Electric Radio for said receiver.

Anyone else is welcome to join in, look for me on/about 3875, hope to fire up the Collins 32V again, but if conditions are rough I'll bring the T3 on line.

Looks like we are going to get even more snow, have to get the woodstove fired up again.

Mod-U-Later
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 06:35:31 PM »

Quote from: W1UJR
Hey guys,

Joe, I'll be on 75 meters from 6PM on, would enjoy chatting over the FB-7.
Check this month's Electric Radio for said receiver.

Anyone else is welcome to join in, look for me on/about 3875, hope to fire up the Collins 32V again, but if conditions are rough I'll bring the T3 on line.

Looks like we are going to get even more snow, have to get the woodstove fired up again.

Mod-U-Later

Bruce - I'll be on 75M shortly. I checked 75 and 40 earlier but didn't hear you. Had a short QSO with Timtron and signed due to prolific "snow static". Band conditions were lousy. By the time I checked on 40M, broadcashers were starting their thing.

I decided to do something productive since the bands seemed to be crapped out, and pulled out my 1940 Stancor 110CM (812 CM X 2 6V6's) cathode modded transmitter to get it working. It tunes up very differently than a plate modulated rig. I used a scope to get a descent trapezoid waveform. In spite of the clean fully modulated waveform, it sounds hyellowy like it's supposed to without any processing. I got 45-50 watts out of it which isn't too shabby for what it is. The socket for the little 812 is under the case, and it's glass envelope showed it's plate blushing a nice orange hue in the center. I rocked it up for 7290 and hope to use it on the air in a few days; most likely with an RME-99 rx.

Hope to talk to you on 75M tonight!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W1UJR
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 07:27:18 PM »

At the station now, got stuck in the driveway, 2-3 feet of drifted snow!\

What a mess and it just started snowing again....

Given the time, I'm going to go straight to 160, hope to catch you Joe on or after the Gray Hair Net on 1945.

-Bruce
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 10:52:41 PM »

Bruce - Sorry I missed you. I was up on 75M. If you'll be on tomorrow night, perhaps I can catch you on 160M.

Joe Cro N3IBX

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015