The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:54:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Software Defined Radio SDR1000  (Read 7630 times)
W8ER
« on: February 28, 2005, 09:22:53 PM »

Guys,

Dave W9AD just shot me an mp3 audio file of the first utterances that he heard from his new SDR1000. Art K3XF brought this to the AM FORUM a couple of weeks ago and considering it's 75 meters and QRM is heavy, it's pretty good. Note that Dave is switching filters, you can easily tell that when you listen. This is Buddly and Gary from earlier this evening.

Dave has verified the bandwidth settings with his spectrum program and they are like a cliff. The 4 khz filter, while not obvious on this recording is excellent. This radio sounds really good! Click on this link:

SDR1000 from Barrington Hills earlier tonight

--Larry W8ER
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 09:29:51 PM »

Sounds Good Larry, I have been wondering about that rig..
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 09:41:00 PM »

The 4 kHz filter definitely sounds pinched, as it should. The wider BW sounded good. What was it?
W8ER
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 10:06:42 PM »

Not sure.

The 4 khz filter is the best 4 khz filter I've heard! It does show it's bandwidth however. HUZ, I am not sure what all of them are. When Dave gets a finger on it, I'll have him send me some well defined examples ..  at the different bandwidths. I'll post them as soon as I get them.

I am quite impressed however and after what I've been listening to .. that's a hard thing to accomplish. Dave echo's my sentiments as well and his middle name is EAR.

His comments a few minutes ago over Skype was, "It's under 10 pounds", "It's sitting on top of the power supply (Astron RM-35) and it looks like they are made for each other", "It's tiny", "what a rats nest" (haha), and "I can't wait to get the transmitter fired up!

--Larry
W8ER
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 02:48:32 PM »

Here's another audio clip. It's good ol Robert W0VMC as heard on Dave's SDR-1000 (Software Defined Radio).

Guys, you have to know that Robert and Dave are the two premier midwest audio affectionados on the air and this clip was NOT taken at 8 pm in the evening on 75.

The bandwidth setting used on Dave's SDR-1000 start at 20khz, 15khz, 12khz and 8 khz. I'd say that the SDR-1000 is probably the best sounding receiver that I've ever heard .. bar none!

Of course, you can't hear it if it isn't there so just as many kudos go to Robert for a darn tall midwest ship! In his own words .."> Thanks Dave for the file on the SRT14 Transmitter. The bandwidth that  
the Omnia was set for was 6kc's so the next time we hook up I'll open up
to 10 wide.(Audio)".  

This is MIDWEST COAST AUDIO !!

W0VMC as heard on W9AD' SDR-1000

Note: It is difficult for me to hear the receiver "bandwidth" switches. That generally means that while the receiver DSP filter is total bandwidth of the filter, the recovered audio frequency is half of that. Those higher audio components do not exist in abundance in Robert's signal .. just so there is no confusion about that. According to Roberts email to Dave there would have been 6 khz components in what the recording captured. The Omnia would have killed anything above that. Pretty darn impressive.

--Larry W8ER
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 03:04:47 PM »

Great audio! I could hear some highs go away at one point, so that must have been one of the more narrow bandwidths.

I always enjoy listening to Robert. Too bad we don't hear him more often out here on the east coast.

Quote from: W8ER
Here's another audio clip. It's good ol Robert W0VMC as heard on Dave's SDR-1000 (Software Defined Radio).

Guys, you have to know that Robert and Dave are the two premier midwest audio affectionados on the air and this clip was NOT taken at 8 pm in the evening on 75.

The bandwidth setting used on Dave's SDR-1000 start at 20khz, 15khz, 12khz and 8 khz. I'd say that the SDR-1000 is probably the best sounding receiver that I've ever heard .. bar none!

Of course, you can't hear it if it isn't there so just as many kudos go to Robert for a darn tall midwest ship! I will modify this post to let you know what Robert is running when this clip was taken, as soo as I find out!

This is MIDWEST COAST AUDIO !!

W0VMC as heard on W9AD' SDR-1000

Note: It is difficult for me to hear the receiver bandwidth switches. That generally means that while the receiver DSP filter is open to 20, 15 and 12khz, those audio components do not exist in abundance in Robert's signal .. just so there is no confusion about that.

--Larry W8ER
W8ER
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 03:24:15 PM »

Steve,

If you think you enjoy Robert on the air, you should hear him around a campfire. The Grayslake hamfest near Chicago last fall was the meetingplace for a lot of us midwest guys. Robert, Skip, Dave, Mike, Larry AMR, just a great bunch of AM'ers. Grayslake is a two day fest and the first evening finds campfires breaking out all around the grounds after closing. I think that's where some of the junk goes!!  I'll never forget Robert telling the story of his first plumbing job at his house. The man is an incredible wit and great story teller to say nothing of his many other audio/radio/restoration/homebrewing skills.

Grayslake September 2004

--Larry W8ER
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 03:43:59 PM »

This is the future guys skirts 100 hz wide down to the noise floor.
Just pick your bandwidth.

I would think this is first generation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015