The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:00:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KDØHG Heavy Metal Rally  (Read 7510 times)
WA4JK

« on: December 22, 2015, 03:18:49 PM »

Anyone seen or heard any info on this Years KDØHG Heavy Metal Rally???
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 05:07:58 PM »

Announcement in the November issue of Electric Radio.
December 27 after dark.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 11:26:10 PM »

Not much going on/heard......  But I got more watts ready this year .... ..

klc

What? Me worry?
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:10:37 AM »

I made a half dozen contacts yesterday on 15m/40m. All were "after dark" depending on the time zone. As far as the announced details, perhaps the HM rally continues today? For many, the unseasonal severe weather caused extreme QRN which made contacts extremely challenging. At one point on 75m, I had S9+ noise with 30db attenuation dialed in. I gave up on 75m, and went to bed around 10 pm CST.

Jim
Wd5JKO
KL7OF

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 10:12:21 AM »

I started at 0000Z .... Just about dark here in Tum Tum...the 75 meter band had a lot of static and a rolling QSB with phase distortion...Stations would have clear audio and big signal and then the audio would distort and signal go down and the station would disappear only to come back in a few seconds...I made about a dozen contacts....I heard many other stations in California and the southwest , then later the midwest started coming in. I didn't stay in the shack long enough to see if the East Coast stations could be heard.I didn't get on 160M...   I await other reports....73  Steve
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 10:22:32 AM »

We had a good tun out for the Vintage Military Radio Net Sunday morning, northern ca and nv stations plus one station form wa but he could only be heard by a few stations, nv and one station in ca on the or state line.

I made a number of contacts on 7293 in the afternoon, southern ca and az.

Later that night I was on 75 meters, southern ca and az again, band conditions were very poor, noisy, qsb and the band and the length of propagation appeared to change. I would hear one station but the other, in some cases there were multiple qso's going on with the parties unaware of each other.

Had a good time just wish conditions were better.
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »

Here in 5 land it was static and rain or was it rain and static.  It was anything but conducive to radio.  12 inches of rain in the last 2 days, now the wind is blowing like crazy
causing all kinds of line noise.
K0ARA
Contributing

The Bull

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 12:54:49 PM »

Couldn't get on the air in till later in the evening, QRN was horrendous. But was able to make 9 contacts in 7 states, all on 3885kc.

Equipment used: Hallicrafters  BC-610I,BC614,D104. National HRO-7R. Coax-Fed Dipole @ 35 feet .

* DSC00070.JPG (878.24 KB, 1920x1080 - viewed 495 times.)

Mike KØARA                99.9% AM
                 AMI  #1692
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »

While fighting the pounding static on 40m last night (80 was impossible), I thought back....

Gosh, I recall distinctly this period in 1974. I was a college student home for the Christmas break. I had a Lear T30 transmitter (early aviation xmitter) coupled to a Heathkit VF1 VFO. This was a 6L6 modulated by a pair. I was living in Michigan and my call was WB8PEP. So one winter night in late December 1974, I got on 160m with my mighty T30. I had an inverted L up over a drainage ditch, and was about 100 yards away from a river. My noise level was S-Zero, and I worked one station after another on AM; east coast, Texas, and as far west as Colorado.

I'm just pondering how both man made noise and nature made noise of today has made transmission/reception such as I describe impossible. I still hope for a quiet January...but that erratic power line buzz down the street remains.. :-(

Jim
Wd5JKO
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 01:14:27 PM »

Nice vintage station !!!

My station, T-368 transmitter, Silver Eagle D-104, receiver a SP-600, antenna is a 80/40 meter fan dipole at 35'. My furthest contact was N6YW in Tucson, 750 miles. I worked about a 15 stations.

* W6TOM Station.JPG (309.15 KB, 956x768 - viewed 424 times.)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 02:28:42 PM »

While all this reporting is nice and informative, I would strongly suggest you also send your reports, comments, pictures, etc. related to the Heavy Metal Rally to Electric Radio too, ray@ermag.com
You might become famous.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 06:38:38 PM »

I scored two,  Tom.   Was not qro though.   I did hear ya in Bakersfield,  but not well enough to copy.   Nothing like 40 was earlier.

I did use a 600 amp ccs 13.8 volt supply.   Weighs in at 300 lbs,  figured that was heavy metal.

--Shane
KD6VXI
w1vtp

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 08:33:22 PM »

Nice vintage station !!!

My station, T-368 transmitter, Silver Eagle D-104, receiver a SP-600, antenna is a 80/40 meter fan dipole at 35'. My furthest contact was N6YW in Tucson, 750 miles. I worked about a 15 stations.

Tom

I LIKE your station.  I'd feel right at home in it

Al
K5IIA

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 08:34:24 PM »

if you were not qro and you were using that power supply, you must have been using it as a seat or a foot prop haha

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 10:40:05 PM »

I was 20 watts of carrier,  100 peak.   BUT,  in the interest of  heavy metal rally,  I broke out the big supply.

When I put the station in storage,   Kenwood didn't work,  and  amp did.   Pull it out,  working Kenwood,  amp won't key on 80.....

Was still fun to listen to  big stations though.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 12:32:23 AM »

Transmitter is down here along with the 80m dipole, but I did a bit of listening last night. Plenty of static but not as strong here in the east. I could her folks through it fine. Heard Mike/K0ARA, also heard you Brandon talking with Robert/W0VMC, Ted and a few others on 3.885. Pretty sure I heard Phil/KC4VWU down the band a bit, very strong but I gave up listening before he gave a his call. Heard a couple 9 calls, too.

Listened down in the 80m portion, heard absolutely nothing, not even a SSB signal, from 3.700 up to 3.755 or so, and only a couple SSB signals above there well above 3.800.

Did hear a couple stations on 40 earlier in the evening, one in OK mentioned having his emergency generator at the ready just in case. Figured the static was far worse out that way by the looks of the wx maps.

Overall not much activity. Probably a combination of bad conditions for many, the holiday, and having the event on a Sunday night. Wasn't that many years ago I recall numerous groups on 40, 75/80, and 160.

Maybe next year.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 08:59:44 PM »

Sorry to hear your TX and dipole are both down!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
w1vtp

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 08:56:53 AM »

I didn't do much as things were too busy and there was "no room at the inn." So, I shut down the station and went to bed.

Later on when all the big guns had retired, I came back out and had a nice QSO with Tim, KC9QJE in IL and Jerry, WA4JK.  Nice QSO. But when the big guns are on and unless you are a known personality there is really no room.

73, Al
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 10:12:01 AM »

No room Al? Really???

I listened up and down the band, most of 75/80 was empty. In fact, I heard exactly 2 frequencies with activity. That's two(2), too.

Chisel that hardened grease loose on your VFO dial, move to another frequency and call CQ. Then there would've been...three(!) frequencies in use for AM on 75m, and you could've been the leader of the pack.

No one is restricting your ability to operate but you. Wink

Sorry to hear your TX and dipole are both down!

80m dipole came down on one end close to 2 years ago, now. It's lashed up enough to keep it out of the way of the tractor for mowing and yard safety. Transmitter roached a couple PA tubes and the whole RF deck need to come out for alignment and maintenance, but at roughly 200 lbs and 5 feet up in the cabinet, I'm not able to wrestle it out alone thanks to a shoulder issue.

But that's okay - priorities have changed considerably over the last 3 yrs since the arrival of Princess Crumbcrusher. She takes up most of my time, free or otherwise. And I enjoy every minute of it.

Do still have wires up for 40 & 10 and make it onto the air now and then with the peanut whistle Apache. Just no HMR this year. Hopefully next.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015