The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:52:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: primer  (Read 8594 times)
Tom W2ILA

« on: February 28, 2005, 02:40:47 PM »

On aluminum military rigs some used no primer, or yellow zinchromate primer or green zinchromate primer.
These primers are becoming hard to source but I have found West Marine still has zinchromate in green and yellow.  The brand is "Tempo Marine Outboard Stern drive Paint".
It was stocked in the outdrive section not the paint section of the store.

TM
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 03:11:44 PM »

I've seen it in a local Star Hardware.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 03:24:15 PM »

I've used paints particularly the rust preventer paint called POR-15 from this place at http://www.por15.com for the underbodies of previous cars.  It does what they claim.  It's tough stuff.  It's moisture cured unlike common commercial paints and coatings that dry by evaporation.  Warning: Don't get it on your skin. It'll never come off.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 03:28:25 PM »

Granger also carries this spray paint for $4 to $5 a can.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 03:30:07 PM »

I've used por 15 and navel jelley. I also found some good  stuff in a spray can at home depot.  I think these are for steel only.
Check out a good boat place. There are a couple good ones in Niantic for paint. I also found the price of stainless hardware quite good.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 04:02:20 PM »

Por 15 can be used on aluminum and just about any other metal too as far as I know.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 06:52:27 PM »

On aluminum military rigs some used no primer

Hence the scabby paint job on lots of WWII era mil rigs.  These things were made in huge quantities to be shot out of the air by the enemy.  The paint only had to last a few months... and zinc chromate would add more weight, build time, and expense.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Tom W2ILA

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 07:23:20 PM »

Yup,
Scabby because of the paint system and scabby because it was treated like a rental car throughout its lifetime.
Strange that some gear got really good paint. The amphibious trucks got real coatings of zinc chromate before the OD.  That way they had a real sacrificial coating over the steel or aluminum.  The plan was to make the thing look good even though it was going to get blown up pretty quickly.  There are still a ton of WWII jeeps around because they applied a pretty good coat system of read lead primer and OD.
The electronics was a different story.  Aircraft often has no primer under wrinkle black.  But the BC474 and BC654 had really nice paint that has held up.  There are a few BC610's out there that still look mintola.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015