The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:52:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Refinishing A Heathkit AT-1 Cabinet  (Read 2778 times)
W9ZSL
Contributing

« on: November 29, 2015, 12:26:33 AM »

Any suggestions for a matching paint to refinish an AT-1 cabinet?  I have a DX-20 so the same finish would match it if nothing else is still available.
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 01:46:50 PM »

Hi Mike..see you posted earlier with that question..well I do have a pretty much complete station of the DX-40 now restored..certainly similar to the DX-20/35..I used a Rustoleum product called Painters Touch..color is Satin Granite..low luster indeed..almost but not quite flat..has a sort of very lite texture ability and for that reason I picked it also the color was very close to original on the cabinet..I'm not one to sit and sand/remove the scratched up cabinet although lite sanding of the big dings should be done..but the lite texture it leaves hides a lot of scratches etc that and the mentioned low sheen helps there too..dries very fast but you should use a quality primer preferably gray to coat any bare metal if needed..if not then right on over the existing old finish..I did every piece..the DX-40 cabinet/VF-1/AM-2/even a digital freq counter to make it all "match"..next up will be the cabinet of my new to me SB-200....of course you might think it not the best and yes I have never owned an AT-1 so I ain't no expert..just my thoughts on it....BTW NICE DX-60 station!!!     73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
W9ZSL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 02:48:19 PM »

Thanks Dave.  I heard about that particular paint before but really needed confirmation.  I'm not attempting a total restoration of the AT-1.  That would call for redoing the front panel and getting the copper-clad chassis redone ($160, ouch) but what I have isn't bad and I scored some Wright's Copper Cream.  The cabinet refinishing is an easy job. The AT-1 project started when I saw a complete coil set on eBay with the mounting bracket and hardware.

My plan was to use them on a simple MOPA exciter project to feed a single 813.  Turns out the same source also had a chassis, sockets and all the switches.  I picked up almost everything including the terminal strips.  Next I got a copy of the construction/operation manual.  I have a power transformer and bought a few new parts to add to what was in the junk box.

Now the plan is to rebuild it from the ground up with modern caps and resistors.  I even found a meter that matches.  Too much fun!

Thanks! The DX-60B set is another story.  I already had the receiver, found a DX-60A transmitter and when it arrived, the two didn't match.  So I cleaned up the A model and got my money back selling it.  After that I took my time and ended up with the complete matched set.  I think the receiver knobs are a bit different than the VFO or XTR but the cabinet finishes are all identical.

Yeah, I'm picky but it's a set-up I've always wanted since my novice days...and yes, the DX-20 was my first XTR.  The receiver was a Gonset G-33, and YES, I have one of those also to recreate my first station.

Thanks again & 73!

Mike - W9ZSL
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 06:59:02 AM »

Here are some paint formulas for different radio's. This is from the Glen Zook website.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/94662f1b14642593d71fa3dd7f9649a1?AccessKeyId=5DDC3F25F0398F58962E&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015