The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:34:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tube Broadcast Consoles  (Read 31460 times)
K7KWD

« on: November 27, 2015, 03:27:04 AM »

I don't know how much interest there is here in old radio broadcast equipment, but I have been collecting it for the last couple of decades. Along the way, I have come across a lot of information (and a lot of myths) regarding studio broadcast boards. Since my interest is mainly--though not exclusively--RCA, that's what I have collected the most information on. If anyone is interested, I have posted a brief rundown of the RCA 76 series of consoles on my web page at http://www.kwd-radio.com. Just click on the "Consoles" link on the left. The information is pretty condensed, but it's the sort of stuff I wish I had been able to dig up way back when...
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 08:44:05 AM »

Maybe its just my P.C. but I cannot get the link to work.

Joe

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
K7KWD

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 08:52:02 AM »

Two different people have told me the link doesn't work but I can't replicate the problem. Try copy/pasting the URL and see if that works.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »

As of 9:30 AM EST, the link fails.

http://www.kwd-radio.com/

Error 404 - Not Found

The document you are looking for may have been removed or re-named. Please contact the web site owner for further assistance.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WB5IRI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 09:44:45 AM »

Just tried it, and it works fine from here. Your ISP could be having some routing problems.
Doug
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 09:47:48 AM »

It is a Firefox specific problem.. Works fine on Chrome, IE 11, Opera..

Great site!

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 10:17:26 AM »

Odd. Very odd.

Hard to imagine why Firefox would give and error, and sure enough mine does!
Perhaps post a link that is deeper in the website??
Maybe that will work.

Strange.

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 10:38:24 AM »

Worked fine first time.

Like the tellie fones.

klc

What? Me worry?
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 12:10:29 PM »

The link works OK on my Android phone.
W3NE
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 01:01:41 PM »

Great site -- so much to read and see. Warms the heart of an ex-RCA (video) engineer of 31 years with the Corporation.

Bob - NE
K7KWD

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 02:45:56 PM »

Thanks for the compliments. I started the site years ago, partly as a way to gain a better understanding of html and website design. From what I've been able to find, some of the internal headers in my code just don't agree with some browsers (most notably Firefox, apparently). Much of it is still a work in progress. I think it might be time to start working on some code modernization.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 03:34:34 PM »

Thanks for the compliments. I started the site years ago, partly as a way to gain a better understanding of html and website design. From what I've been able to find, some of the internal headers in my code just don't agree with some browsers (most notably Firefox, apparently). Much of it is still a work in progress. I think it might be time to start working on some code modernization.

Norton, in their "safe search" category, your site also comes up as untested. I use "safe search" with Firefox. If you Google kwd-radio with Firefox, you site comes up with KWD Radio and a [shaded box with a ?] If you as the site owner click on the shaded box you can have them "test" your site. Maybe there's a connection with Firefox.

Maybe not well known, but a number of web site hosting providers have tighten up their security protocols over the last several months. Many of the older versions (and some not so old) versions of various browsers are not longer (or soon will no longer) be supported. I go through this with customers at least once a day.

Jim, W5JO

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 05:19:29 PM »

I just tried your site from the link Pete posted.  I am using Win 10 with Microsoft Edge browser and your site was a fast load.  I like that.
Fred k2dx

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 05:59:16 PM »

The link worked fine this morning as it does now. IE/Win7 pro.

Interesting site. Good job. One issue though: the 'General Radio modulation monitor' shown in Other Broadcast equipment looks more like the small RCA console...
w1vtp

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 07:10:53 PM »

The link worked fine this morning as it does now. IE/Win7 pro.

Interesting site. Good job. One issue though: the 'General Radio modulation monitor' shown in Other Broadcast equipment looks more like the small RCA console...

Still doesn't work with Firefox V 41.0.1.  Always worked for my IE 11, Win 7 Pro.

Nice site
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 08:05:38 PM »

Bill,

I am glad to see that the wonderful photo of WMRN's transmitter room my father worked at in 1941 is getting viewed by the world.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 08:27:11 PM »

Working on chrome both using lte connection and wifi.

Tested on Chrome for Ubuntu on my server,  works.

Tested on Firefox,  did NOT work.   HOWEVER,  when I copy a link from chrome and paste into Firefox (ie,  copied the url for his ham link) and it works.

Points to a Firefox issue....   Probably with his home or index page naming convention.

The following link DOES work in firefox:

http://Http://kwd-radio/WEB_files/welcome.html

Sr.  Network Engineer in a previous life....

--Shane
KD6VXI
K7KWD

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 01:00:18 AM »

Quote: "the 'General Radio modulation monitor' shown in Other Broadcast equipment looks more like the small RCA console"

D'oh! You are correct. When I added that page, I used the RCA BN-2A console photo as a placeholder and forgot to change it. Thanks.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 12:02:26 PM »

Bill,

I am glad to see that the wonderful photo of WMRN's transmitter room my father worked at in 1941 is getting viewed by the world.

Hi Tom,

I'm curious - How do you suppose they controlled the transmitter blower noise from coming over the mic?  With no glass barrier, you would think it would be a problem ?? Then there's the problem of heat during  summer without air conditioning in the '40's...

T

* wmrn_01.jpg (64.59 KB, 1000x545 - viewed 422 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 12:47:20 PM »

Many stations used remote studios over landlines but still maintained a working, bare bones studio at the transmitter site in the event of problems. Wonder if that was the situation here?

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 04:55:24 PM »

Hi Tom,

I'm curious - How do you suppose they controlled the transmitter blower noise from coming over the mic?  With no glass barrier, you would think it would be a problem ?? Then there's the problem of heat during  summer without air conditioning in the '40's...

T

The BTA-250L in the photo was convection cooled...no fans.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 01:33:15 PM »

And the staff wore suit and ties at work during those days. No casual dress or shorts........a lot of smoking in the studios to clog the circuits up with the slime.........that's what is was 'back then'

Fred KC4MOP
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 01:48:13 PM »

And the staff wore suit and ties at work during those days. No casual dress or shorts........a lot of smoking in the studios to clog the circuits up with the slime.........that's what is was 'back then'

There are some  Cheesy that still do that in today's times. Here's Joe, N3IBX, with his BC-610:

KA3EKH

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 09:17:43 AM »

Nice site. The link worked for me. Having started working in radio in the seventies spent lots of time removing and replacing vacuum tube consoles, monitoring and processing equipment and at that time no one had any love for that stuff.  Maybe in the forties and fifties when that stuff was new it was good but by the seventies it was all old, unreliable and preformed nowhere near as well as the cheapest solid state equipment. Like you I am amazed to see the price this stuff sells for today. Know of several RCA and Gates tube consoles that I gave away as late as the nineties and at that time very few wanted them and items like RCA program monitors, line amplifiers and the like often went straight to the trash. Back in the eighties I would always sell at the old Timonium Ham fest and drag a bunch of the RCA and Gates junk and never sold any of it. Things like patch fields, M-67 mixers and solid state Volumax and other solid state processing would sell at ham fest but not the old tube junk, maybe that’s why it’s worth so much today? 
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 11:26:03 AM »

Very cool picture of Joe (IBX).
Is it old before the equipment went into the basement/garage/remote shack or more recent and stuff is invading the kitchen?
Is there a T368 in the bathroom?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015