The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:48:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2005 AWA AM QSO Party  (Read 6505 times)
Gary - WA4IAM
« on: February 27, 2005, 06:22:28 PM »

The first open AWA AM QSO Party is now history, and what a blast it was!! I've participated in my share of contests in the past, but this was by far the most fun I've every had in ANY contest! Plenty of contacts were there for the making but the pace was never rushed. It seemed that everyone was into making very relaxed contacts instead of blitzing through a mad rush in the interest of high scores. VERY refreshing. The variety of transmitters that showed up on the air turned into a living history museum and a delight to the ears. Many people said they hadn't heard that many AM stations on the air at the same time since the 1950s, and I can believe it! All I can say is I CAN'T WAIT 'TIL NEXT YEAR!! :grin:
W1UJR
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 07:13:02 PM »

Hi Gary,

You bet, it was the most fun I have had in any contest, made even better because it AM!

Two pages of logs here, just having fun, met some new friends and chatted with some old ones.

Station here was a Collins 32V circa 1949 and Collins 75A circa 1949.

58 contacts, but 100% fun!

73 Bruce W1UJR
N8YE
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 07:36:54 PM »

I didn't enter this one but I heard the fun. The AWA should pick up a lot of new ham members judging from all the activity going on. How could one enjoy all these boatanchors and not be in the AWA?
..73 ..Steve..N8YE
Terry N4RQ
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 10:42:25 PM »

Gary,
It was fun to hear the neat rigs, only wish these guys would get on regular, it could be the 50s again.  It was nice working you Gary great signal as always.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 09:08:55 AM »

Gary,
       It was great working you and your Millen station sounded FBOM!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 12:31:25 PM »

It was great to hear so much AM
over the weekend.  It was like
going back to the early '60s.

I happened to notice this morning
from the info page on the AWA
website that logs are to be submitted
"no later than March 1, 2005".  
I wonder if they mean postmarked?

http://www.antiquewireless.org/otb/awanews.htm#AM-QSO

Go Duke![/b]
Gary - WA4IAM
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 04:41:04 PM »

Yes Paul, the logs must be postmarked no later than March 1st, 2005. A short period of time to get the logs together, but I think it is because the editor of the AWA Journal, Marc Ellis, will be compiling the logs with only a couple of people, or perhaps just by himself! I don't know when the results are to be published, but it's possible the short posting window is dealine based.

Good to work your station too Joe! That 1938 transmitter sure sounded fine here!

Terry, that Gates of yours always sounds great. I agree, this QSO Party really pulled the AM stations out of the woodwork!
Ken - K2UPI

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 06:52:53 PM »

Hi Gary: :grin:

Yessir....had a great time on 75 and 40 meters.  Can't wait till next year.

The W2AN Millen transmitter, from the A.W.A. Museum, sounded just beautiful.

I'll be listening for you....

73, Ken/K2UPI
Gary - WA4IAM
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 02:09:31 PM »

Hi Ken! I heard you in there briefly (can't remember which day), but by the time I got a chance to call you were gone.

Oh yea, James Millen's personal transmitter at W2AN was sounding great as usual. Paul (VJB) at W3R, Bob - W2ZM and Bob-W0YVA were definitely keeping the AM channels hopping on 75 and 40 meters as well. I wish I could have made it up to 20 meters as I heard the activity was pretty hot up there too. Oh well, maybe next year! Speaking of next year, Steve - N8YE, we missed hearing you in there this year. I thought for sure you'd have one of your rigs fired up on AM.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 02:12:57 PM »

Yup... great time !!

I took the 1965 Drake station (T4X,R4A) to 15 meters AM saturday afternoon and worked 3 5's and 2 7's with my 40 meter inv. vee !!!

One guy in 5 land had his desk kilo up there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015