The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:42:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding changeover relay to HT-44  (Read 3047 times)
N4RMT

« on: September 08, 2015, 09:28:57 AM »

Hey guys.  Long time lurker, first time poster.  Got my first tube type transmitter the other day.  Hallicrafters HT-44 with matching PS-150.  I'm installing a DPDT antenna changeover relay per the manual, but A couple of things have me stumped.  First, in the parts list, it tells me I need a cinch-jones type 81A plug.  Well, that's on the power cable.  Why do I need another?  Also, where it shows in the layout pins 2 and 3 of the control socket, it shows pin 3 connected to a ground tab.  Is that something I need to do, or does that part already exist?  I'm assuming I need to do it because currently, pin 3 is not grounded according to my Fluke.  If I'm to do it, do I just lift the other end of the current connection and ground it, or add a ground to it as it is now?  Also, while I'm here, anybody got an old style panel mount RCA jack with the rivet /screw ears?

Thanks guys

Randy

* image.jpg (1486.39 KB, 2592x1936 - viewed 359 times.)

* image.jpg (1368.75 KB, 2592x1936 - viewed 375 times.)

* image.jpg (1393.28 KB, 2592x1936 - viewed 380 times.)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 01:07:06 PM »

Hey guys.  Long time lurker, first time poster.  Got my first tube type transmitter the other day.  Hallicrafters HT-44 with matching PS-150.  I'm installing a DPDT antenna changeover relay per the manual, but A couple of things have me stumped.  First, in the parts list, it tells me I need a cinch-jones type 81A plug.  Well, that's on the power cable.  Why do I need another?  Also, where it shows in the layout pins 2 and 3 of the control socket, it shows pin 3 connected to a ground tab.  Is that something I need to do, or does that part already exist?  I'm assuming I need to do it because currently, pin 3 is not grounded according to my Fluke.  If I'm to do it, do I just lift the other end of the current connection and ground it, or add a ground to it as it is now?  Also, while I'm here, anybody got an old style panel mount RCA jack with the rivet /screw ears?

Thanks guys

Randy

No clue what a 81A plug is. Out of the box HT-44, pins 2, 3, and 4 on the Control socket are connected to the make/break terminals of an internal relay. Wire it as shown to pins 2 and 3. When you key the transmitter, the internal relay closes grounding pin 2 completing the circuit for power to activate your new antenna relay.

The HT-44 out of the box used the phono jack (labeled antenna) for RF output. They also provided a punched hole for a standard UHF connector (SO-239). If you don't have the SO-239 installed, I would install one in the hole provided. Move the wire connected to the phono jack (labeled antenna) and connect it to the SO-239 (now the new antenna connection). Now you have a free phono jack to connect the wire coming from the new internal antenna relay to your receiver.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
N4RMT

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 01:38:31 PM »

Boy do I feel dumb on the RCA jack deal...  I installed an SO-239, but wired it in parallel to the RCA jack...  Geez... So that's handled.  Thanks.  So to wire in the relay, I don't need to make any changes to the stock wiring of the control socket?  Just connect pin 2 to the relay coil?  Or add that ground straight from pin 3 that is shown? 

Randy
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 03:06:09 PM »

So to wire in the relay, I don't need to make any changes to the stock wiring of the control socket?  Just connect pin 2 to the relay coil?  Or add that ground straight from pin 3 that is shown? 

Randy

NOT "OR" ----"AND"

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
N4RMT

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 03:27:21 PM »

OK.  Thanks Pete.

Randy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015